Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You & Amiga in a year  (Read 6817 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: You & Amiga in a year
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »
given it turns no vapour: natami!

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »
I forsee nothing...

I had to sell most of my Amiga stuff. I only have two Amiga's left. I can't afford to get any new hardware or updates for them. My main x86 computer is basically on it last legs. It barely runs properly, the power supply is about shot. I think the motherboard is failing, I basically can't afford to replace any of it, so that kinda shoots the possibility of using Amiga emulators.

Unfortunately most of my time is spent trying to get to get ahold of a second job so I would be able get back into the hobby (as all I do in life is wake up, work, pay bills, and sometimes get to our library on the way back from work.) Kinda rough when even McDonalds won't hire you because they have 500 other applications they can pick through.

Maybe if I was able to get ahold of an accelerator and another video card I might play with my stuff. But until then I'm going to spend my time trying to get a measly job scrubbing toilets after overly obese people at a taco or burger shack for $7.25/hour (min wage).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:29:00 PM by justthatgood »
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »
In a year I'll be doing the same as now: my AmigaOne as my main machine, lots of coding and tracking :)

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »
Waffles!

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2009, 08:03:58 PM »
One year from now : Still supporting AROS. Yup ask no further, the "Amiga" future is there.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline motrucker

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
I still use several old Amiga programs for graphics work, on the Classic platform. I may go to Mac mini with Morph OS if that has software I can really use.
SAM is out - an outrageous price for already well passed over technology IMHO  (I can feel the slings & arrows already...)
Like Wayne, I may get a CD-32 for some of the great games, like Chaos Engine
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 06:11:05 AM »
my year came fast as I just tonight ordered my Sam @ 800 with OS4.1 form Amigakit.com !!!weeeeee
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline trekiej

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »
I would like to make blank A3000D mainboards for next year. Beyond making blank mainboards, Aros with AF2009 and Sam seem to be the only choice till Natami.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
I'll be using Amiga Forever 2009 currently using it on a Core 2 Duo with 4 gigabytes of ram, 320 gigabyte hard drive laptop....  

I have no trouble running games from the A500 to the Amiga 1200 and beyond!!!  I have an Amiga that is transportable and when it comes to time to upgrade, the Amiga will come with me!  

Long live the Amiga, in whatever form it comes in, via hardware or software emulation...
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project

Offline Pete_Noir

• Show only replies by Pete_Noir
    • http://twitter.com/the_pete
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 12:27:33 PM »
I'm quite interested in MorphOS for MacMini, but as I've never used MorphOS before, I'll consider it further when it comes out and can read up on it more etc.

If OS4.1 came to something affordable, I'd be using that. But that's unlikely to happen.

Otherwise, I'll probably still be using Linux for most stuff. I just wish there was a good css-capable browser that I could run in Amiga Forever. That would keep me happy for a while.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
Well this past year I have sold off my big stonking A4000 and downsized to a nice little desktop A1200 to use with WHDLoad games. I also got an EFIKA, but hardly every use it unfortunately. In the forthcoming year, I hope to play around with AROS. I recently tried Icaros for the first time in ages, and it seems to be very usable now!
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline ceaser

• Show only replies by ceaser
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 12:57:05 PM »
With the amount I spent on old Amigas and number of games I have, I can't see myself doing anything with either my 500, 1000, 500+, 4000 or 1200 flat anytime soon.  Have a Commodore 1960 now.  M1538 and 1438 on the way.  I planned to have one in practically every room of my house.

I see what those who have mentioned this are saying about legit production uses.  I don't think that's going to happen ever either.  I think Amiga had a few years.  TV stations used Video Toaster for their graphics for a bit in early to mid 90's I remember.  Probably bigger in Europe as usual with Amiga.  I've felt a weird sadness I can't really describe since Commodore went bankrupt.  We all hated PC with a passion as I recall back in 1992, anyone with an Amiga.  I've peeked at the Sam440 stuffs but have not yet researched.  It's the new Amiga?  Or the next chapter?  Or it's something 100% different?

Amigas are computers to play on.  It's the only type of computer in the old computer realm that's really worth messing with for anyone who likes old computers, or is obsessed with them.  Are you supposed to have fun with a PC from 1989?  I don't think it's possible.
it\'s too bad she won\'t live, but then again who does?

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »
Quote from: ceaser;519444

Amigas are computers to play on.  It's the only type of computer in the old computer realm that's really worth messing with for anyone who likes old computers, or is obsessed with them.  Are you supposed to have fun with a PC from 1989?  I don't think it's possible.

That is obviously your opinion. True you really can't do many of the really fun things on a 286/386 that you can do with the newer systems, but there are some people that do weird things with them. Fun is such a subjective word.

I kinda enjoy playing with my Apple IIGS. That was made in 1986, three years before that x86 system you are mentioning. Hell, I even know people that delight in coming up with interesting ways to make the S100 Bus part of their daily lives.

You may have fun playing games on your Amiga 500, some people might enjoy engineering controller cards for their Altairs to shoot lasers.
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline Puni/Void

• Show only replies by Puni/Void
    • Old School Game Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. This is my first post. :)

In a year, I reckon I'll be using my Amiga 1200 for the same stuff I'm using it for today. That means graphics in Personal Paint and Deluxe Paint, programming in AMOS, watching demos and playing games. I've recently upgraded the machine with an Indivision AGA card and a brand new mouse adapter. :) It's great using the machine with an LCD-screen.

Although I'll be using the 1200, I'm also going to follow the development of AROS. It will be interesting to see what is in store for this OS in the future. Having an AROS-box is not out of the question next year.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »
Well, I'm a hobbyist really, so I want to support things like Natami and Minimig.
But also, I'm a vintage computer collector, and the real thing of course has a different vibe than those hobbyist things.

And thereby, I love pancakes.
Luckily for me I could choose more than one option :D
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 18, 2009, 02:57:28 AM »
I'm all about pancakes. Sadly, in the Amiga World, they're really the only thing viable....
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf