Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 500 - KS 1.3 boot from internal IDE  (Read 12091 times)

Description: need some help!

Offline Boing-ball

Re: Amiga 500 - KS 1.3 boot from internal IDE
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 12, 2023, 08:10:25 PM »
I decided to try again, following carefully the youtube tutorial. It seems I got exactly what he's showing in the video, but now I'm stuck for a silly problem:

He's showing the ByteSwap program, but I can't find it on the web and I don't know what is it for.

Anybody has this program? Is it free, can you kindly attach it here, or give me a link to download?

As far as I understood you don’t need to use the byteswap side of things. As you only have 1 x 16BIT ROM to burn. Byteswap should only be used for 2 x 16BIT (32bit) ROMs on A3000, A4000 and A1200 Amigas. From my understanding.

Try this video instead as it goes through a 1MB A2000 ROM using Romulus and remus. Maybe easier to understand.

https://youtu.be/tkH1kWZYS7k?si=8svuzT98Wz_smWYg

Offline giobbiTopic starter

• Show only replies by giobbi
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 08:35:25 PM »
I finally get some results, at least I got a booting (I mean: it doesn't hang during the bootstrap), patched kickstart. But nothing is easy, so it doesn't boot neither from HDD, nor from FDD.

I'm trying to understand if the problem is becuase my hard drive (FAT32) isn't bootable...  It works fine with the stock Kickstart and the "minimal boot" floppy (the workbench is on the HDD but it uses a FDD to begin the boot).  But it doesn't boot using the modeed kickstart.

Maybe it doesn't like the FAT32 based HDD ? Or some files are missing?

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 08:50:41 PM »
I finally get some results, at least I got a booting (I mean: it doesn't hang during the bootstrap), patched kickstart. But nothing is easy, so it doesn't boot neither from HDD, nor from FDD.

I'm trying to understand if the problem is becuase my hard drive (FAT32) isn't bootable...  It works fine with the stock Kickstart and the "minimal boot" floppy (the workbench is on the HDD but it uses a FDD to begin the boot).  But it doesn't boot using the modeed kickstart.

Maybe it doesn't like the FAT32 based HDD ? Or some files are missing?

You are correct. The Amiga does NOT use Windows Filesystems to boot. You have to make sure it’s at least the native FastFileSystem or you can use alternatives such as PFS3 or SFS.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2023, 01:17:41 PM »
You are correct. The Amiga does NOT use Windows Filesystems to boot. You have to make sure it’s at least the native FastFileSystem or you can use alternatives such as PFS3 or SFS.

I would agree, its booting with floppy, due to floppy proberly loading the FAT32 filesystem and then executing whats on drive.
Which wont work without floppy as machine cant see drive, until drivers are loaded and mounted.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.