Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: help to make OWN "ram:" device  (Read 3383 times)

Description:

Offline Noster

• Show all replies
Re: help to make OWN "ram:" device
« on: May 10, 2004, 02:59:38 PM »
Hi

> I wondered if those few lines BEFORE it were enough for a functioning ram-handler !

You are running Kickstart/Workbench 1.3 ? The code for the RAM-handler is found in the "l" directory of your Workbench-disk. An entry in the "so called" DOSList addressing this handler is created during system-startup, no way to suppress this (the according code is stored in the Kickstart ROM :-)).
The handlers code itself is loaded during the first access to the RAM-disk, i.e. the first time the volume "RAM:" is accessed (usually by the commandline "Assign T: RAM:T" in the "startup-sequence").
If you create a startup-sequence without any reference to "RAM:". There will not be a "RAM-disk" icon on your Workbench screen, but it will occure at that moment you type something like "dir RAM:" in a CLI (or any application tries to access "RAM:").

If you need maximum memory, create an empty disk and "initialize" it, so it contains a boot-block and use this empty disk for booting. You will get the initial CLI and nothing else.
I recommend you to have a look to ebay and buy a memory expansion for a few bucks. There are a lot of games that also will benefit from more than 1MB ram.

Noster

EDIT - Do you have additonal disk-drives connected to your Amiga ? Remove them, every additional disk-drive costs at least 50 Kb memory.
EDIT-2 - I don't think you will get 960+ KB memory, whatever you are doing, there are several structures according to the OS that are created by the code in the Kickstart ROM during system startup, you can't suppress this, and I think this uses more than 50Kb.
DON\\\'T PANIC
    Douglas Adams - Hitch Hiker\\\'s Guide to the Galaxis

Offline Noster

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 03:58:12 PM »
Hi

Verbatim disks have been very good disks, I've liked to use them and have no bad experience.

To your problem: Try to load the Workbench, open a CLI and enter "Format drive df0: name foo". This should format the disk in the floppy drive. If any error occurs, this tool will notify you. If it works to format, the disk is Ok and should occur on your Workbench screen.

Noster
DON\\\'T PANIC

Offline Noster

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 08:33:55 PM »
Hi

> Nope, it didnt work the format command says "bad sector" or something like it, this is REALLY weird !!!

Did none of your disk could be formated ?
Maybe your disk drive is misfunctional ? (Do the problems ever end for you ?? ;-))

Noster
DON\\\'T PANIC

Offline Noster

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 01:30:01 PM »
Hi

> Is there something wrong with the prices or what ???

As you have already determined by your own, these disks are extremely rare.

This reminds me to the days in the early 80th, when I've bought disks for my CPC-6128 in 3" format, each single disk about 7,-DM (~ 3.50 $) :-D

Noster
DON\\\'T PANIC