Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 3.2 released  (Read 41716 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: Amiga OS 3.2 released
« on: May 16, 2021, 04:01:17 PM »
And I haven't even had time to install 3.1.4 yet! It's a strange feeling when Amiga developments move faster than you! :D

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:41:10 PM »
Got my copy of 3.2 last week and have been playing with it in FS-UAE before deploying to one of my real systems. Enjoying it overall--there are some good QOL improvements. The inclusion of datatypes for modern image formats is important. I appreciate the return of comprehensive documentation and the integration into the system is very nicely done. The default DefIcons config and prefs tool is much easier to understand than the one shipped with 3.5/3.9--I feel much more comfortable editing this one without worrying that I'll break something. Thanks to the dev team--I hope we'll see more updates.

That being said, a few issues/notes: ;)
1. Gadget corruption in Pointer and Palette prefs. The FAQ says this is due to a CGX incompatibility, but I'm running on NTSC (with P96/Picasso96API.library 2.363 installed). See attached images.
2. Oops - GUI layout problems in RAWBInfo when NOWORDWRAP is enabled. See screenshot.
3. The advertised TOBACK_QUALIFIER feature of ClickToFront does not actually appear to be implemented. It's not included in the icon tooltypes nor mentioned in the help docs. Am I missing something?
4. I don't care for the thin, blinking cursor in texteditor.gadget. Would prefer to match the GadTools/CON: look as much as possible. Is this configurable through ENV variables?
5. Likewise, I'd also like to configure chooser.gadget to resemble a plain GadTools cycle gadget.
6. The Appearance Settings window in IControl prefs should probably have a Use or OK button instead of a close gadget.
7. Most windows now open directly under the mouse pointer. Is this configurable? I'd prefer to have them either centered on screen or in the upper left (below the titlebar) as in 3.1.
8. The Workbench prefs window is now too tall for a non-laced screen and autoscrolls. I realize screen real estate is an issue given all the window content, but could it be shortened by using 2 columns for the Icons group instead of 1?
9. Similarly, Palette prefs now uses an autoscrolling screen instead of a Show Sample button/window. This makes it harder to see changes in real-time. Could the choice of autoscrolling or button be made in a tooltype? And the Sample window resizable/scrollable so as to not block the controls?
10. Also in Palette, the presets Magic and Thin Menuborders appear to be identical: changing Menu Bright Edges between white and black seems to have no effect. Changing between other colors does have an effect.
11. Perhaps the new Auto-arrange Icons option should not snapshot everything after it executes? All the other icon arrangement options are temporary unless the user chooses to snapshot so it feels like this one should operate similarly. Or retitle it so it's clear from the outset that it will be performing a snapshot, e.g., "Arrange and Snapshot Icons".

Thanks again! Looking forward to exploring this new release further.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:34:29 PM by Matt_H »

The following users thanked this post: TribbleSmasher

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 06:04:58 PM »
I'm glad you deficons. I tried my best to create some good categories and a prefs editor that would not scare everyone away. The hope is however to replace deficons with a new simpler system sometime in the future.

3) feature should work. Documentation is lacking - we will fix
4) afraid not as block cursor is reserved for insert mode (though that is not yet implemented)
6) agree
7) I'm not a fan either is all I can say

The rest is noted
Thanks for taking note of my comments. I'll have to play with ClickToFront some more (this could be an emulator keyboard handling issue on my end). I hope something can be done about the texteditor.gadget cursor--the inconsistency of text/string UI elements across the system is... unfortunate. Likewise about windows opening under the pointer. Those are my top two concerns for the moment (pretty good considering the overall complexity of the system, I think!).

The future of DefIcons sounds promising--hope to hear more about it soon. Keep up the good work. :)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 05:32:34 AM »
Try the TC020 version of icon.library found on aminet. This also makes any png icons you might have visible again.

It’s a fresh install on a stock (emulated) 4000 with plain, 4-color icons. The only explanations for the gadget corruption are a 3.2 system bug or an FS-UAE emulation bug.