Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Request about OS Development  (Read 25874 times)

Description:

Offline polyp2000

• Show all replies
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
Re: Request about OS Development
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;833398
Eh, PPC doesn't run 680x0 natively, does it?  Doesn't MorphOS and AmigaOS4 have an emulation layer for this?  Why can't AROS?

Isnt this what JANUS is for on Aros ?

Offline polyp2000

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Quote from: Papa6;833382

I have Amiga forever & I bought a licensed, legal version of AO 4.1 FE.

This may sound stupid but can the OS be developed for the x86_64 CPU's?

Yes it can , only Hyperion dont think thats a good business plan.
Quote from: Papa6;833382

But an x86_64 version, I could enjoy multibooting into the OS on my system at home.

You any many others desire this , but due to the Hyperions stance on this the only way you are going to be able to achieve this is using AROS . An Open Source implementation of AmigaOS.

In the long run AROS will still be standing when Hyperion are dead and buried as the source code is legally available and distributable to the public. Theres also the fact that commodity X86 hardware is much less expensive. This makes the barrier to entry a much more reasonable proposition .

But Hyperion dont care about that nor listen to the wishes of the Amiga Community.

Offline polyp2000

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
Quote from: NorthWay;833682
I would nominate datatypes. The unix side lacks the whip swinger to introduce it at the higher ends of the display stack and make it standard - anything visual is contributed by so many parties. And don't forget all the other files types it handles which can be taken care of by non-display parts.
This is a whole-OS interface and your average unixen typically only extends to the kernel and possibly the display render/compose. You could expect Apple to be able to introduce an equivalent.

This is very much a personal preference / viewpoint thing . From another angle it could be seen as a negative thing that AmigaOS has them so close to the display stack. I suspect if it was developed today that wouldnt be the case.

Offline polyp2000

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;833662
as others said. amiga is good for what it does, because of legacy and backwards compatibility. and it applies to vampire/apolloas much if not more then to the other options.

now, throw out shared memory space and messaging by pointers in order to get some memory protection..

throw out amiga os legacy balast for contemporary features, you will lose that compatibility and will get some sort of linux distribution. already enough genuinely missing components of amiga os, such as networking are just ports from other systems, for instance bsd. i cant imagine a realistic way to achieve a new "amiga os" other than simply putting together a choice of existing open source software. btw, it will become as bloated according to the features you expect. there are poeople that complain aros takes 10mb disk space (without fonts) and doesnt run on bare 68000, you know?

considering above, there are the vlid options:

1. stay with what you have or follow the consevative improvement patch based on ganuine sources, as proposed by thor and olsen.

2. design an open os as compatible with the genuine and incorporating as much modern features as possible, which is aros.

all else is insane.

Amen to this!