Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Request about OS Development  (Read 26406 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
Re: Request about OS Development
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;833633
I do think some people aim way to high for the amiga market, I think if we could get the community back to where it was in the 90s it would be victory, which is now regarded a small community and would only make up around 1% of the computer market today, but still be a thrive little community for us to have and I think there is still a small chance that such a community could be built.

1%?  I seriously doubt it is that high.

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;833617
And why exactly should it do that? Os development did not stop 25 years ago. AmigaOs is illl-designed for modern requirements. I always call it a "toy operating system" because it lacks any services that would be important today. Even if - the market works today different than it did 25 years ago.
Back then, computers were used by hobbyitsts, hackers, gamers, freaks... today, they are a commodity. You cannot expect a "modern user" to know what a .info file is, or how to "lay out" icons. It's all the wrong concept.

Yeah, right. And this "worry about the pesky details later" approach was exactly the reason why the PPC experiment is right now where it is. "PPC is the future, let's worry about the applications later".

You need to understand that *today* the market works differently. Nobody worries about the hardware anymore. You have it anyhow. The apps are what matters. Commodity for the user. You don't buy a computer today because it is "cool hardware". You buy it because "it looks nice" and "it runs the stuff I need". It is reduced to things the average user understands: "How thin is it" (that is currently what people seem to want) and "does it do what I need".

AmigaOs cannot do that. The Amiga story as a "useful computer" ended last century already - as I say, this ship sailed away a long time ago.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a16010/30-year-old-computer-runs-school-heat/

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;833668

You'll always find examples like that. I knew someone who had been using a BBC micro for running a custom lighting rig for 30 years. Like the amiga running an air conditioner, it didn't really make much sense. You could use something more modern, more reliable, more supportable.

So what if its more "modern".  Do you need a more modern hammer?

The A2000 running the heating and cooling for 30 years.  Needed a scsi drive changed twice and they wore out a couple of mice.  The software was written in C by a student of the school with very little down time. Can't complain the reliability

To replace it the quote is $1.5 million to $2 million.  When asked why it hasn't been replace a spokesman said "because it just works".  I hear that said about Linux, but this time it really is true.