Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Layers.library V45 on the aminet  (Read 64615 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: Layers.library V45 on the aminet
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »
What is this?

TomasRitcher= good (have the aeon ok), cosmos (or others)= bad (they are crackers using illegal hackery)?
a1200 060

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
Quote from: pawelek;771816
Demonstration new layers.library (45.19)

new version presented from time 7:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZEscDf9EU

Could you include some narrative  on the video? Not really sure what I was watching. Then again I just skipped to 7:20 and saw someone run a SysInfo test that said the machine was running 180x the speed of an A4000, LOL. ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline pawelek

• Show only replies by pawelek
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
The beginning of the video the old layers.library 40.1 and its test speed of 111 open windows,
   then from 7:20 a new version of the library and the same test
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:03:07 PM by pawelek »

Offline pawelek

• Show only replies by pawelek
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;771683
Got it. I'm currently trying to get in touch with Alex whether I can make a re-release of P96 with a fix. Not that the fix is overly complicated, but I cannot really promise anything at this time since it's not my decision - so please stand by, sorry.

Are there any news on the bug Picasso96?

guest11527

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
Quote from: pawelek;772583
Are there any news on the bug Picasso96?

No, unfortunately. I tried several times to contact Alex concerning this problem, but I didn't receive anything. (It's not that I'm unable to fix this in P96 - I have everything I need - except the author's permission). Then, however, it's vacation time, so he's probably somewhere else.  Greetings, Thomes

Offline Cosmos

• Show only replies by Cosmos
    • http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.com
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2014, 06:45:06 PM »
Quote from: pawelek;771342
The problem with the new layers.library
http://amiga.ct8.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/MOV_0017.mp4

I discovered a compilator branch bug into the rtg.library v40.3994...

Only 4 or 6 bytes to fix, and I'll send you this new version for checking...

:)

guest11527

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
Quote from: Cosmos;772591
Only 4 or 6 bytes to fix, and I'll send you this new version for checking...

Would you *please* stop messing with other's people software? This is Alex' decision, and not yours, and also not mine. If I say I'll keep care of it, I'll keep care of it, but it will take as long as it takes.

Offline Cosmos

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;772594
Would you *please* stop messing with other's people software? This is Alex' decision, and not yours, and also not mine. If I say I'll keep care of it, I'll keep care of it, but it will take as long as it takes.

I sent a message to Alex on facebook and no answer...

guest11527

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
Quote from: Cosmos;772602
I sent a message to Alex on facebook and no answer...

And that gives you which right? Exactly... none-so-ever. Would it help to mention that I had contact with him just months ago? And that we had a friendly exchange on the P96 subject?  Ok, point is that I do not exactly know what the legal situation with P96 is and wether Alex can even decide what can happen with it. But you or me can do that to an even lesser degree. The situation might be delicate, it is delicate to me, and it is probably even more delicate to Alex, I really don't know, but all I can do is to find out and understand where we are.   Now, instead of trying to have some patience and thrusting people that they'll try to do their job properly to their best of their knowledge, you just jump ahead and ruin the entire situation. Thank you for that so much.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2014, 11:13:16 PM »
Please also keep in mind this bug/missbehaviour of rtg.library

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58921&highlight=rtg.library

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;772605
And that gives you which right? Exactly... none-so-ever. Would it help to mention that I had contact with him just months ago? And that we had a friendly exchange on the P96 subject?  Ok, point is that I do not exactly know what the legal situation with P96 is and wether Alex can even decide what can happen with it. But you or me can do that to an even lesser degree. The situation might be delicate, it is delicate to me, and it is probably even more delicate to Alex, I really don't know, but all I can do is to find out and understand where we are.   Now, instead of trying to have some patience and thrusting people that they'll try to do their job properly to their best of their knowledge, you just jump ahead and ruin the entire situation. Thank you for that so much.

i dont think you will be able to stop anyone from modding amiga these days, people are modding other stuff not asking the designers for permission. especially when it is obsolete or abandoned anyway. as long as it remains within the low there is nothing to do against it i guess. sometimes they improve things, its just all their own risk if they break something.

Offline Cosmos

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 05:47:35 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;772605

And I emailed Tobias about 2 months ago for another reason, and no answer too...

Amiga Classics are old now, they don't care...

Finally I checked this morning the rtg.library branch bug : I changed only one byte ($00 instead of the wrong $04)

Emailed to Pawelek for checking...

Offline psxphill

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;771817
What is this?

TomasRitcher= good (have the aeon ok), cosmos (or others)= bad (they are crackers using illegal hackery)?

cosmos went from not reporting bugs and instead releasing hacks for software that Thomas is maintaining, to hacking software that has already been fixed.

It's obvious what is going on and the motives behind it.

Offline Cosmos

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:33 AM »
It's totally impossible to talk with Thomas Richter : he change is mind like a girl change his clothes...

In June 2014 :

Quote from:
I will likely not have the time to keep it updated. Bug reports
welcome, of course, but without promise that I will provide fixes. If you find
problems, you are on your own. De-install by removing layers.library from LIBS:
and remove the corresponding argument from LoadModule, you should be fine again.

In August 2014 :

Quote from:
With all necessary respect: If you find a bug (or believe to have found a bug, I don't know), please *report it* so it can be fixed upstream.

Where is the logic ? He wrote everything and it's contaire...

Anyways, the branch bug in the rtg.library is really a very big bug : $6004FDA6 must be replaced by $6000FDA6

A bug from the compilator SAS/C, not from the coders I guess well...

Check by yourself, and see...

:)

guest11527

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »
(double post, removed)

guest11527

« Reply #74 from previous page: September 09, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »
Quote from: Cosmos;772640
It's totally impossible to talk with Thomas Richter : he change is mind like a girl change his clothes...

That means: I have very little spare time to maintain anything, and I cannot make promises. I'm not a professional software vendor were you can come along and request a bugfix within 48 hours because you paid for the software. I can only promise to look at bugs, and fix them if I find them, whenever I have time and access to the Amiga. The next time I'll have access to the Amiga will be in October (yes really, it is really that slow). I cannot fix anything any sooner, it's part of the entire situation here. Thus, if you find a problem, I cannot promise you to fix anything. I can only fix things on a "best-effort" basis, which may or may not be good enough for you. If you are depending on anything on your machine, and things break due to a problem I caused, well, come along, report it, I'll try to take care of it whenever I can. But do not expect this will happen tomorrow. It will happen when I have time to do it. Understood? The text in software is a "disclaimer" (as in "legal speech"), and saying anything else may be a bit risky.

I don't think it is particularly hard to report bugs, though, or to talk to me in general. We might *disagree* though, but that's a normal part of an argument.