Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BeOS LIVES commercially  (Read 11638 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: BeOS LIVES commercially
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 24, 2002, 06:07:59 PM »
 I fully agree about the Linux thing, everyone thinks that just because it is the first successful open source OS that it is king, but I am sure something more usable will come along. I hate X just as much as you, BeOS was much much more advanced, if only version 6 could have released before they sold to Palm, then we would have a better network backbone (to stop Linux nay sayers from bitching), as well as OpenGl support with Hardware acceleration.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2002, 07:33:29 AM »
JoannaK wrote:
What IMHO killed Beos was it's lack of X86 drivers.. too many tried to use it only to realize it does not work on their existing PC.

IMHO what killed BeOS was mostly Be, Inc.'s impatience, or their investors' impatience, rather than any technical problem with the OS. There were pro audio apps in development when Be pulled the plug, for example. BeOS could have specified a subset of PC hardware that was supported and gone with that, for a vertical market niche that would have given them a big enough user base to survive. Then they could've expanded from there. They didn't need to support a wide range of equipment, necessarily. If people tried to use it without checking the supported hardware list first, then they shouldn't be too surprised when things didn't work right. Any alt OS is going to have hardware support problems, due to MS's domination. The best way to work around that, I think, is just indicate upfront what hardware will be supported (hopefully it's at the top of the range), and hope potential users will educate themselves about what works and what doesn't. This is the same situation for the AmigaOne, Pegasos, etc. regarding components, in spades, since the hardware requirements for these include even the new motherboard. Really, if limited hardware support is in fact what killed BeOS (which runs on standard x86 motherboards), then AOS and MOS don't stand a chance, do they?

Linux is surviving because there is no one company that owns it and has to make ends meet somehow, and because the mere fact that it's not Microsoft motivates a lot of users and developers. The fact that it's free and open is more important than the actual technology level, it seems, which isn't necessarily all that great compared to some of the alternatives (now or earlier). But that's still significant, especially when you read about things like the Linux-Windows struggle at NASA. Anyway, that's my opinion.

I think an alternative OS could make it today with a narrow range of hardware support, if it's got the right stuff. BeOS (or OpenBeOS), updated, could have that. I don't think AmigaOS4 does, by all indications. And MorphOS at this point is mostly speculation (regarding the Q Box). So time will tell.

-- gary_c

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2002, 07:56:09 AM »

I think an alternative OS could make it today with a narrow range of hardware support, if it's got the right stuff. BeOS (or OpenBeOS), updated, could have that. I don't think AmigaOS4 does, by all indications. And MorphOS at this point is mostly speculation (regarding the Q Box). So time will tell.

-- gary_c

I agree.  However,  OS4 will hopefully just be the first stage of a massive, long overdue overhaul.  And the fact that developement is left to Hyperion, and that amiga already has a large (for a niche) userbase is what has me hopeful for the future.  I personally don't think we'll see any serious development happening in the realm of BeOS or openBeOS, which is why I came back to the amiga community.   At least Hyperion played it smart:  they secured they're rights to develope even if Amiga goes under, so assuming we can drum up interest and support, amiga should survive.. at least for awhile.  If they don't, there is always morphOS (yeah I know... but its better than MS or linux, and its being actively developed.  Its a brand new OS, and hasn't had much time to mature, so I think it would be fair to at least give genesi a CHANCE to give us something.  At least they have shown some sort of commitment to the community... all Amiga seems interested in are cell phones and PDA's)
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2002, 04:21:11 AM »

gary_c wrote:
J

-- gary_c

BeOS has clear adwatateges like working Mozilla and Opera, allmost up-.to date softwares in many areas where Amiga goodies are years old. It's not been abandoned as long period  AmigaOS has, so it has more capable coders.

About these other two.. Well... they are too young to be judged, but quite honestly OS4 has not shown much promise yet. Mos is much more  interesting, at least at the moment...

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2002, 07:08:43 AM »
IMHO
personally, Im enjoying my SuSE experience, X4.2 and KDE3

just my 2 cents worth

(im not *yet* a `blind blonde cheerleader'<<<--(credit wayne)  for RMS 'Stallman')

we'll see what YDL and the 970 have to offer
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2002, 12:42:55 PM »
It would be nice to see BeOS for the Pegasos/AmigaOnes/Teron boards...
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2002, 02:10:59 PM »
IMHO that 's good idea. Beos have many good programs that can't be expected to be ported anytime soon and it's really nice to use. And, I'm quite sure there are many BeOS people who would like to see some new computers to run their favorite OS on.

Technically adjusting PPC_Mac version to Aone/Pegasos shoudl not be too biggie operation (well.. don't ask me to do it anyhow)   :-)  But, in the end it all depends on how active people actually are tryig to push these things thru.