Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BeOS LIVES commercially  (Read 11329 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
BeOS LIVES commercially
« on: December 21, 2002, 09:57:22 PM »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
Re: BeOS LIVES commercially
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 10:25:33 PM »
Cool.  Nice to see that it may become a commercial product again.   It had alot of potential.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 10:50:04 PM »
Only problem is, it didn't have much to say about their talks with Palm Inc.  So BeOS is BeOS or now Zeta, or Yellow Tab, Yuck! :-o
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 11:37:02 PM »
I seem to remember those pages been there years, and not much have happened. Ah well.. Just like this all new Amiga thingy we have been hoping to materialize.  ;-)

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 11:40:03 PM »
This is pretty much stagnant.  I believe we'll see OS4 long before we see a new BeOS distibution.  This is coming from an admitted BeOS fanboy, so.. take it for what you will.

Dammit, I just want a REAL desktop OS
 :-x

Go Hyperion.... :-D
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 11:47:16 PM »
Go Hyperion, go hyperion, it's your birthday!

No wait, hang on Christmas is Jesus' birthday.
Ah, well Hyperion are close enough I suppose as long as this OS4 is as good as it looks! ;-)

Offline McNorris

• Show only replies by McNorris
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2002, 12:21:31 AM »
I believe there is some stipulation that says they can release a 5.1 or something. After that (6up) I don't think they have the legal right. I could be wrong on this.

Yeah the page has been there a while, but was updated pretty resently w/screenshots.

If they deliver AmigaOS4 on time I think they will beat yellowtab to the punch.
Where to get the news that matters...
http://www.theonion.com...

Offline Panthro

• Show only replies by Panthro
    • http://www.hell-fish.tk
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 12:48:10 AM »
I recon since it is Christmas ( Jesus B'day)
hyperion should get Os4 finished now.....
.........after all Jesus is waiting for his copy too :-D
-Panthro

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 01:11:58 AM »

.........after all Jesus is waiting for his copy too :-D

HAHAHAHA    :roflmao:

WWJB?  (what would jesus boot?) AmigaOS!!

Satan uses MS  :rtfm:   Actually, bill gates may very well be the anti-christ.
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline Blomberg

• Show only replies by Blomberg
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2002, 01:47:13 AM »

legion wrote:
Satan uses MS  :rtfm:   Actually, bill gates may very well be the anti-christ.

Click

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 04:19:44 AM »
 I got that link from a recent post on Bebits.com, I think they intend to make a new release soon, there is supposed to be an on-line interview going on with them soon, so we'll know more.

BeOS is the ONLY other OS I have had few gripes about, Amiga was the other. I really hope this works out.

P.S. Christmas is not Jesus' birth day, infact historians are not shure when he was born exactly, This season is a farmer's and pagan's holiday, when certain pagans were converted to Christianity, the changed the meaning of the holidy, infact a TON of pagan rituals, traditions, and beliefs are the base for what we today call Christianity. Just remember all religions start out as a cult, it does not mean that it is %100 refelctive of the times or person(s) the cult is based on. Thank Rome for the mis-information, there government invented 85% of what we now know as Christianity.

Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline JoannaK

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2002, 10:00:45 AM »
Beos was really good OS, but unfortunately not good enough to survive as X86 OS. Even though I wish it well (and I'd happy to use it on my PC if it would work on my current one) I really can't belive it having any commecrial success anymore.

But, perhaps miracles happen. And if BeOS ever become popular I'm happy  :-)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2002, 10:27:39 AM »
 What I don't understand is how everyone favors Linux, and ignores stuff like BeOS. I'd rather see Be have the lime light, and linux be recognized as that powerful OS that needs to catch up with the rest. But for some reason Be is put in the background, granted the network code needs redone, and it need hardware acceleration, not to mention a few more drivers, but that is really about it, once that stuff it caught up, BeOS will be what Linux is still dreaming of. It has the Unix command line, and a working, easy to configure and use GUI, something that X will NEVER provide.

Offline JoannaK

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2002, 12:53:42 PM »
What IMHO killed Beos was it's lack of X86 drivers.. too many tried to use it only to realize it does not work on their existing PC.  So why bother to get new PC for marginal OS?

Linux has more users, more userbase and it's free. So it inspires more people to make more effort to support it. And with more support there will be more drivers and more computers where you can use it.

Personally, I have Linux installed to this PC but I don't like it enough to use it. I want Persoal-OS not some klunky Server-OS with some Gui-slammed atop of it.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2002, 06:07:59 PM »
 I fully agree about the Linux thing, everyone thinks that just because it is the first successful open source OS that it is king, but I am sure something more usable will come along. I hate X just as much as you, BeOS was much much more advanced, if only version 6 could have released before they sold to Palm, then we would have a better network backbone (to stop Linux nay sayers from bitching), as well as OpenGl support with Hardware acceleration.