Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Every little thing she does...  (Read 13122 times)

Description:

Offline Arney

• Show only replies by Arney
    • http://www.aroeland.dds.nl
Re: Every little thing she does...
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 01, 2003, 08:30:46 PM »
When I got my first Amiga, the best I liked about her was how easy it was to play games. My dad had a PC then, and when I wanted to play a game on his machine, I had to make all kinds of boot disks. EMS, XMS, Himem, Soundcard drivers, etc. etc. With the Amiga it was easy. Just pop in the game, turn on the computer and it works. If you wanted to play another game.... just pop in another disk and reset!! They should make something like that with CDs possible on the Amiga One.

One of the best utilities ever I think is SnoopDos. I don't think there's anything like that for Windows (I could be wrong though)
I wish there was  a knob on the TV to turn up
the intelligence. There\\\'s a knob called
\\"brightness\\",  but it doesn\\\'t work.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2003, 08:42:37 PM »
!! They should make something like that with CDs possible on the Amiga One.

Now that is what I call a really stupid idea !!!

Self-booting games on the A500 were only possible, because back than
all Amigas shared the HW. Try booting Lotus on an A1200  :-x

Such a CD would need to have all drivers for all setups on board,
but what if in a few years time, some plugs a Radeon_25000
into it ?  Don't expect it to run with the Radeon_xx00-drivers found
on the CD.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2003, 09:01:39 PM »
Here's something I'd like to see in Windows file requestors...  The ability to set the default view and file order.  I prefer the detail view and sort by date or type.  Unfortunately, every time a Windows file requestor pop up, it's stuck in list view and name sort.

The point is, both OS'es may have advantages over the one another, but they also have disadvantages.  Personally I think the Amiga OS has more advantages than disadvantages...  Including Assigns.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline Marky_D_Sahd

• Show only replies by Marky_D_Sahd
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2003, 11:16:18 PM »

Tomas wrote:
and yeah the ram disk!! aaaahh i love that feature.

Yeah!  I can still remember when I discovered that I could load a disk or two of a Sierra or CinemaWare game into RAM and never have  to swap disks!! Cool!(This was before I got an HD, of course, but it was still cool.)
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!

Offline Acill

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2003, 12:00:22 AM »
I like the way that just about everything is configurable. You can almost guarantee that if you want something changing then theres a hack/program on aminet. No desktop/ system seems to be the same. This can be a disadvantage at times, but makes for a very personal system.  

Yes but this also has got me in trouble a few times. I hate when I mes with something, or install something and I cant "undo" it without having another disk to boot up to take out whatever it was I did. I've had to reinstall my WB a few times because of this.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Billsey

• Show only replies by Billsey
    • http://billsey.christian.net
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2003, 01:32:48 AM »
@N7VQM:
Did your cat slap you after you did that to it? :lol:
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
\\"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2003, 01:45:20 AM »

cycloid wrote:
my point about the boot time was a PC thing, yeah

My PC's have reasonable boot-up and log on times, to me atleast.  However, my Win2k machines rarely ever get (re)booted and, when they do, I tend to push the button, leave the room and forget I was planning to use the computer for something.

My Dad's PC OTOH, takes forever to boot!  I built it this past weekend (Athlon 2000+, ect.) and the Win2k install was FAST.  In 15 minutes, I had that puppy up and running, fully installed.  But, reboot it and it sits at the Win2k splash screen for about 90 seconds.
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2003, 01:48:09 AM »

Billsey wrote:
Did your cat slap you after you did that to it? :lol:

Minnie did that all on her own.  I was deciding on a tie to wear to an interview, and she stuck her head into the one I was holding.  It struck me as amusing, so I took a picture. 8-)
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2003, 01:56:16 AM »
The thing I always liked was using the Amiga (and shift) buttons to control the pointer.  Real handy when drawing and you need to get something in the right place. :-)

Before getting a hard drive I also used RAD a lot for Slam Tilt or anything that was on multiple disks.

For me the RAM disk is also invaluable (even better when using HappyENV!) :-D

The depth gadgets are something I could NEVER do without - either on the screen or on the windows.  I was disappointed when I heard that the A1 won't have the screen depth gadget, so when I get one I guess I'll have to live without it. :-(
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline cycloid

• Show only replies by cycloid
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2003, 03:41:30 PM »
one thing (that i can do on the amiga and in SuSe linux but) i have never managed on windows is to have an active app window behind a non-active one! it's so ******* infuriating having to shift winodws around because the one you are using always always always is the one on top! bah bah bah!

i like windows explorer and 99 times out of 10 use detail view with sort-by-date... but on windows XP when you sort by date and have newest at the top the bloody list of folders dissapears to the bottom! how **************** infuriating is that!??

as for the games-that-boot-from-cd/dvd idea how about a compromise... you turn on your ng amiga and the cd/dvd is in the drive, it notices this and gives you 5 seconds to choose NOT to boot the disc... then it does a simul-boot, loading the OS and it's drivers and API without the GUI and other features and then plugs them into the game... cunning no? after all if it's a true and beautifully modular system...

cyc

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2003, 10:49:03 PM »
I tried Linux, more than once. I'm very unsatisfied. different fily set-up, okay. Different commands, okay expectable, besides they're about the same as Unix, so doubly useful. Linux won't boot right though, I've tried many times, it hates my computer. (admittedly its not the most well organized computer ever though.... on the hardware side because I put it so much free/old stuff in it).

Windows does really stupid things with allowing so much bloody adware/un allowed downloads (security even though I use outlook :oops: , *runs behind his firewall* )
Windows Xp can load very quickly, especially if you don't let programs load when Windows start, which depsite what Windows says is Not centralized, nor easy. /usr well thats bad its very old legacy for some old programs that use it (why not let the programs make it when they do need it eh?)

Basically, Linux is unfriendly, very hard to learn, very hard to get running.

Windows is easy to learn (well to a certain point, then it equalizes, but that point is 10% of the osftware's capabilities and 90% of what I do) and windows is 'friendly' it's easier to install, just click yes. Windows falls down when it comes to elegant programming or stability or good use for a power user (as its so bulky).

I hope that OS 5.0 will be user friendly and still elegant. Also, the A1s seem to be in a Very good price range that should help Amiga. Now if only they made a 2 Ghz 2500$ computer, the G3's probably wouldn't even run Xp.  :-D
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2003, 12:47:12 AM »

Roj wrote:
Something else Windows needs to fix is the way the Apply gadget works.
Hitting Apply shouldn't make the change permanent. When I hit Apply
and I don't like the change, hitting "Cancel" should revert to the previous
settings.

i thought cancel did revert to the previous?...
there should be a 'revert' button anyway!!