Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Simple Amiga audio question.  (Read 8061 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Simple Amiga audio question.
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 18, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
@XDelusion

Why do you need to convert 16-bit WAV's to 14-bit anyway? Tools like Play16 etc use AHI which does the conversion from 16-bit data to calibrated 14-bit as it plays.

If you just want to use 16-bit sample data in OctaMED, just go right a head and load the WAV into the sample editor. It should be fine.

@Thoram
I sure hope I didn't make any stupid mistakes ;)

Just the one. The conversion from unsigned to signed should have subtracted 32768, not 128. You'd subtract 128 for 8-bit unsigned sample data.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:25:42 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline ThorhamTopic starter

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;575136
Are these command lines for a program or something? I'm sure if I start typing that stuff in CLI that nothing will happen but errors, so what's this for?
Oops! It's assembly language (language of the computer in readable text format). Seeing how this is the programming section of the forum, I thought it might be useful to you. Sorry :)
Quote from: Karlos;575307
Why do you need to convert 16-bit WAV's to 14-bit anyway? Tools like Play16 etc use AHI which does the conversion from 16-bit data to calibrated 14-bit as it plays.
Playing WAVs is better done with programs that have their own 14 bit calibrated player routine, because AHI sucks for Paula, and isn't needed for this anyway. Play16 uses it's own replay routine, and Hippo player, which can also stream big WAVs, also has it's own replay routine (but I'm sure you already knew that ;)).
Quote from: Karlos;575307
Just the one. The conversion from unsigned to signed should have subtracted 32768, not 128. You'd subtract 128 for 8-bit unsigned sample data.
Yeah, you're completely right, of course. Guess I was typing too fast :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:34:34 PM by Thorham »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;575492
Oops! It's assembly language (language of the computer in readable text format). Seeing how this is the programming section of the forum, I thought it might be useful to you. Sorry :)
Playing WAVs is better done with programs that have their own 14 bit calibrated player routine, because AHI sucks for Paula, and isn't needed for this anyway. Play16 uses it's own replay routine, and Hippo player, which can also stream big WAVs, also has it's own replay routine (but I'm sure you already knew that ;)).
Yeah, you're completely right, of course. Guess I was typing too fast :o

Actually yeah, Play16 talks directly to the calibrated "cybersound" driver. However, if you have AHI, far from sucking, it performs quite well. Later versions, however, are far too cpu hungry it seems.
int p; // A

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
Hmmmm.

So in other words, I better just stick with OctaMED and stop dreaming of using 16 bit samples with other software. This thread is confusing. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ThorhamTopic starter

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;575494
Actually yeah, Play16 talks directly to the calibrated "cybersound" driver. However, if you have AHI, far from sucking, it performs quite well. Later versions, however, are far too cpu hungry it seems.
The point is that AHI isn't needed at all for 14 bit+calibration. AHI might be cool for audio cards, but for Paula it isn't needed in my opinion (yes, that might have some small back draws, but I still don't use it) ;)
Quote from: XDelusion;575499
This thread is confusing. :)
That's because it's the wrong thread to post your question in. This thread is about what a 14 bit driver does to 16 bit samples, and about audio compression. Also, it's programming related, and doesn't have anything to do with audio software such as Octamed. Note that this thread is in the development (programming) section of the board. It's better if you make your own thread in an appropriate part of the forum :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:43:36 PM by Thorham »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;575503
The point is that AHI isn't needed at all for 14 bit+calibration. AHI might be cool for audio cards, but for Paula it isn't needed in my opinion (yes, that might have some small back draws, but I still don't use it) ;)

One reason to use AHI on Paula is if you have multiple apps that need to play back audio concurrently. Think of it as a simple mixer interface to Paula.
int p; // A