Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finishing OS4 Mac PPC port?  (Read 6382 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
Re: Finishing OS4 Mac PPC port?
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 23, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »

ferrellsl wrote:
@Persia

Finally, someone on this board who has the courage to tell the truth!  And I might add that the price for a SAM is freakin' outrageous!

Unfortunately it's true, unless some kind of promotion as this happens again, than it is "just" very high.

I think the price is, indeed, stupid from a consumer's perspective.  It reminds me of times when I worked in b2b hardware sales.  Stuff like printservers or serial converters were 3-5 x more expensive than some other brands' consumer-targeted products with similar specs(!).  It is understandable since such items are usually sold in various sorts of tenders worth millions $$ in total, in heavy amounts, being largely discounted, though.

So maybe the case is that ACube maintains industrial/b2b offer (does anybody have a link to some final solution, not necessarily with AOS4 in it?) while simultaneously forgetting/neglecting/scr*wing regular consumers?

Funny, if they dropped the price, say, 30%, they would surely feel the impact.  Also, manufacturing and assembling such stuff usually doesn't exceed 20% of the SRP, in this case I'm sure it's below 10%.  Or if it is more, why are they not outsourcing the whole thing to China or another freaky place to hit the price down?

What's that margin for while your can hardly make profits out of it?
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »
@tomazkid

Possession of copyrighted material is not illegal. Redistribution without license, on the other hand....

Regardless, you don't need "Moana." Anyone serious about running OS4 on unlicensed hardware would write their own bootloader and their own drivers. (Let's be clear about the usage of unlicensed here. By unlicensed, I mean hardware not licensed for distribution with OS4.)

Anyone serious about writing Picasso96 display drivers can probably get the latest DDK from the authors--in my experience, they're good folk--unless Hyperion purchased the rights to Picasso96 outright rather than just licensing them.

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2009, 03:38:24 AM »
Amiga Ones, Sam440s and any future hardware machines are nothing but hardware dongles.  They are there to prevent piracy, which would exist if one could just buy mac mini and put in a cd.  More than half of folks here would no doubt do it.  One has seen piracy on the classic amigas, it is no wonder that a great deal of software developers got pi**ed and left the amiga market (before commodore's demise).
You need Sam440 to keep people honest and buy it with the hardware, instead of just making a copy of the OS. (if you do not like that then get another Amiga alternative OS).

However, I do agree that sam440 is underpowered and something better should be available.

Prices - well, you want real support by real companies?  Then yeah they will be higher than for Mac or PC as this Amiga Market is small and has always been dwindling.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 06:25:46 AM »
@terminator4

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps if Hyperion, Amiga, et al treated their customers less like thieves and more like customers, they'd have better luck selling them product.

There are some folks involved (or previously involved) with both companies, however, who are quite friendly, quite helpful, and an asset to the community. Let's hope they stay involved in the future, regardless of what becomes of Hyperion and Amiga.

Offline ck007

• Show only replies by ck007
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »
I personally think Hyperion would have a better chance if they ported OS 4.1 to x86/x64.

Let's face it, Intel hardware is more readily available and would most likely open up a huge user base.

It would also enable developers to make write software for OS 4.1 with minimal outlay.  If it ran in Vmware, even better!

Imagine where Linux would be if it could only be run on PPC or some other obscure hardware platform - nobody would bother.
:crazy:

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »
There would not be any big need for a more powerfull AOS4 HW if we had Clustering SW up-to-date.

Open source clustering:
http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/cluster/software.htm
http://svn.oscar.openclustergroup.org/trac/oscar

3D modeller etc should run fine on embedded PPC if the rendering itself is done in a cheap cluster. (like screamernet did in the 90's)
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline DBAlex

• Show only replies by DBAlex
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »
You'd be much better of running and supporting Linux or some other form of unix on your Mac Mini if you don't like OSX, there's no chance OS4 will be released fully in the future...

The only other OS which I think (hope?) might be released is MorphOS, but i'm skeptical about even that... and even when it is released the license price is extortionate, considering the Euro -> GBP exchange rate is even worse now.

BTW this is coming from the owner of a PPC 1.5ghz G4 Mini, i'd like OS4.x on the Mini as much as the next person but it just isn't going to happen IMHO.

Hyperion would prefer us to buy overpriced underpowered hardware like the Sam440 than port to Efika or Mac Mini and make it accessible for more people...  :-(
Machines:
- A1200, Blizzard 1260 w/ 64MB RAM, 1.2GB HD, PCMCIA WiFi, AGA w/ RGB Adapter, OS3.9
- Pegasos I, G3 600Mhz, 512MB, Radeon 9200se, 80GB HD, AmigaKit WiFi Card, MOS 1.4.5
- Mac Mini, G4 1.5ghz, 512MB (1GB Soon), Radeon 9200 64MB, 80GB HD, OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
- PCs, Laptops... *yawn*... :D