Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sometimes... You just go mad!  (Read 1217 times)

Description:

Offline HardboyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hardboy
Sometimes... You just go mad!
« on: July 21, 2003, 09:31:22 PM »
Programming is sometimes a hard job. Sitting there with a "seems to be unsolveable" problem. It fills you up with frustration - a kind of frustration that drives you mad. So mad you feel like striking you monitor with your fist, striking yourself in the face with the fist or just picking up an axe and go slicing someone you hate... Any suggestions?

Well, here the story. I´m trying to get some work, which I have done during the last half year, working on my amiga. I have succesfully compiled these with gcc (rather g++) on both windows and solaris platforms, but to do the same job on amiga - frustration! Installing gcc was a real pain, and getting it to compile anything seems to be much worse.

I must admit, that I rather bring this to a mailing-list, as I´d expect people to be replying better there. Does there exists a gcc-mailing-list or the likes of it? If not, is there ANY of you out there, who has installed a working version of ggc (g++)?

Please reply if you can help me here, as I would rather not have my work being spoiled...

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Sometimes... You just go mad!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 02:31:54 AM »
buy Storm C!

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 03:44:28 AM »
Rather than trying to get gcc working by itself, I suggest you use the Geekgadgets environment. It is not really that hard to set up and if you choose, you'll have many useful linux-programs installed on your amiga (such as emacs, perl, latex, etc, afaik).

www.geekgadgets.org appear to be permanently down but here is link to a mirror of the GG website:
http://www.nmrc.ie/GG/

and here is how to install it:
http://www.nmrc.ie/GG/docs/GG_7.html#SEC25

I made it work first time I tried, so it CAN'T be that hard :o)

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 07:25:53 PM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
buy Storm C!

Well, I allready have StormC 3 from developers CD, but I must say that I´m not that fond of it. You´ll see, it is in no way possible to transfer your GCC-code from one platform, and then compile it in StormC. Maybe with C-code, but not in any way with C++-code. Another thing I really hate is the project management. It´s really a mystery to me, that they didn´t make executables of the compilers, so that it possible to use make instead of the existing method, which IMO sucks.

As long as it can´t compile my code, which compile fine on other ports of GCC, then I´m not spending my dimes on it...

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 07:33:16 PM »
@elendil:

I found out, that installing GeekGadgets was the very beginning, so I did that too. When trying to get my projects running, I´ll just run into so many problems, that can´t be solved without lots of guessing and magic. The docs isn´t the best, and sometimes hours of internet search doesn´t lead to solutions either. Thats why I was hoping that an email list existed, so that more experienced user could help me.

BTW. since you got it working, can I send some of my projects to you, just to see if you can compile them?

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 09:14:20 PM »
it is in no way possible to transfer your GCC-code from one platform, and then compile it in StormC.
you must be doing somthing wrong! because i do that kind of thing all the time(well, some of the time!)
Maybe with C-code, but not in any way with C++-code.
nope, you are definently doing somthing wrong!

all code should be ansi complient anyway... the only reason you should not be able to transfer somthing to another compiler is if there is somthing non standard...

Offline Steady

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 10:08:52 AM »
Actually, I have found that quite a few of the ANSI headers etc are missing from Storm C. I am currently trying to port a text-based application from an ANS-C source code and have all sorts of things that need to be changed.

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 12:43:10 PM »
Send away. My email should be given in my info. If it works, I can compress the installation and upload it for you to download, if you'd like. Then all you need to do is make an assign and run a script and it should be working.

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 02:01:54 PM »
Sometimes... You just go mad as you realize you gave up a sane computing experience, and turned to embrace the Dark Side.:-?
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody