Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: what about GCC 3.x ?  (Read 1754 times)

Description:

what about GCC 3.x ?
« on: June 11, 2003, 12:13:38 AM »
Hi

what about GCC 3.x for AmigaOS/MorhOS ?

all time saying about GCC 3.x for AmigaOS/MorphOS and none...

we could have a lot of p2p networks porting MLdonkey, but is necesary GCC 3.x for this...

then is preferable port it the ultimate version of gcc, and, create in the cvs of gcc necesary files for make easy portable ( compiling ) GCC to AmigaOS/MorphOS, and dont need to port it next versions, only modify these files...

and then ?

timofonic

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
Re: what about GCC 3.x ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 12:25:21 AM »
IIRC there is a GCC 3.x somewhere in geekgadgets - its just not necessarily finished yet :-/

Feel free to shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong :-)
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic

Offline csirac_

• Show only replies by csirac_
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 12:55:52 AM »
GCC 3 would be nice, but it isn't entirely necessary... I use linux full-time at Uni and at home (I dont' have any windos partition on my 2 PCs ;), and I've never downloaded a tarball that needed GCC 3, and in fact when I try to use GCC 3 with said tarballs I get heaps of warnings and usually the thing doesn't compile.

It's my understanding that GCC 3 is a fairly reworked beast, still has some problems to be worked out, does things slightly differently, and everyone mostly uses 2.95 for production stuff.

That's not to say 3 is bad, it's just that good things take time...

- Paul

Offline jdiffend

• Show only replies by jdiffend
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 03:48:11 AM »
GCC 3.x is a major improvement.  It still needs a little work but I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 06:00:26 AM »
I know GCC  3.0 on x86 has many more advantages such as optomisations. I think there was some GCC 3x benchmarks compared to the 2.95 for compiled applications. GCC 3 came out on top...

But im not sure how this does it for PPC. Also, i think one of the GCC compilers has PPC support. This is why Hyperion or someone else may go with GCC 3 instead of 2.95, because 3 has the PPC stuff and not 2.95.. thats pure speculative though, i dont know for sure... I did hear something like that... Maybe it was GCC 3 had vector support....
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline csirac_

• Show only replies by csirac_
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 08:14:10 AM »
GCC 3.x is a major improvement. It still needs a little work but I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Last I used 3.x for an x86 cpu/linux was 3.0.something, and I had to turn optimisation off for my SDL project to work. It seemed XFree86, GNumeric, mplayer, etc. compiled with warnings, and a lot of things just didn't make it to the final link..

I still use the GCC 3.2.3 MC68HC12 compiler chain, it works fine, but this is a 16 bit CPU with 1KiB SRAM... the one bug I did find was specific to implimentation with the CPU (... to do with ram paging and interrupts, and has since been fixed).

Actually I'm impressed with the optimisation GCC 3.2.3 does for the HC12, for some things my hand-coded asm is only a few bytes smaller! Then again this is a measly little MCU ;)

I've just done some reading and apparently 3.2.2 is quite stable and even compiles the Linux kernel! Looks like I'm behind the times then :)

Looks like I'll have to recompile my X and my kernel when I get some free time...

- Paul

Offline NicoPPC

• Show only replies by NicoPPC
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 10:02:56 AM »
Indeed, Gcc 3.x seens to generate a faster code (especially for PPC). Byt, it is not satble, and can generate wrong code !!

See history !

Moreoever, Gcc 3 is not in the Devbian stable package !

I think, everyone should wait for a stable Gcc3.x with gcc 2.95.3 or VBCC.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 07:46:32 PM »
But porting some apps such as MLdonkey only its possible if GCC 3.x is ported, by example, MLdonkey is programmed on ocaml...