Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I like the new os4 screenshots but...  (Read 4223 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
Re: I like the new os4 screenshots but...
« on: June 10, 2003, 11:47:20 PM »
i hate the screenshots

too gimmicky, like windows XP, if you know what i mean

if it were a bit more serious and professional, i would like it more

they should provide a version of intuition.library and boopsi gadgets for people who only want a simple UI - for speed
i could copy these simpler libraries over and then all the customization crap would be disabled but it would be faster overall

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 12:28:57 AM »

Darth_X wrote:
Which city is worlds most livable?

I know vancouver, Canada,  is one of the most livable places :-D
Melbourne! and thats official! :-D

it has been voted the best by some magazine(several times) and a number of other people :-D

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 12:35:03 AM »

gnarly wrote:
@iamaboringperson

Dont want the gradients? Turn them off. Dont want the font smoothing? Turn it off. See a patern emerging here? :-)

im completly aware of that ;-)

but there is still a fair bit of program code to go through for those options - i may be a bit picky, but it would be nice to have the option of alternative faster libraries

i want my GUI software to draw lines, accept input, and splatter text all over the screen ;-)

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 11:16:52 PM »

Waccoon wrote:
Iamaboringperson:  i want my GUI software to draw lines, accept input, and splatter text all over the screen

Ah, a practical GUI designer!  I respect that.  Unfortunately, we are a dying breed.  Try using THIS mess of a GUI:

TDK Mediacenter

Tiny fonts, bland colors, oddly shaped and placed buttons...  essentially, every mistake in the book!  If this is the future of GUI design, I will soon be critically ill.  Of course, this kind of tripe gets good reviews by the eye-candy geeks.

Personally, I don't care how a GUI looks so long as all the buttons are in the right place, and everything is clearly labeled.  I've never liked the soft, dark look of the OS4 preliminary screenshots.  I think they're a mess and poorly organized.  A good GUI makes a very good impression of the technology underneath.  Pretty backdrops and shadow effects do not.

:-o  eeeck! buy a brand new super dooper fast computer, only to have it slowed waay down with this nonsense