Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The thing I want second-most of all...  (Read 9636 times)

Description:

The thing I want second-most of all...
« on: November 18, 2002, 02:14:11 AM »
What I'd like to see in the OS is built in wacom support, with the pressure and stuff returned right with the mouse coords --  No hassle.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: The thing I want second-most of all...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 10:13:50 PM »
does it really need to be built in?
whats wrong with just a third party driver?

i want to see better shell/cli support so preferences and ohter configuration options can be done through the cli

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 08:44:58 PM »
For one thing, open source isn't really free.  It requires you to make your own code open, which isn't very helpfull for commercial software.  Also there are often problems with getting them to work with one language or the other.  It was literally 5 years before I added tablet support to my own painting app.  http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm
One of the reasons I liked amiga was because it was so much easier to program than those other machines at the time.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 09:34:13 PM »
For one thing, open source isn't really free. It requires you to make your own code open, which isn't very helpfull for commercial software.

Now, this statement is just plain incorrect.  Some licenses DO require you to open part of your source and distribute with the same license (ie GPL), but others (BSD) are fine with commercial distributions.

Also, lets say someone does an open-source driver you want to use with a new (closed source) package you're developing.  Simply write yourself an open-source API to use the open-source driver, and keep then write your CLOSED SOURCE APP to use the open API.  That way, when a new Wacom tablet comes out that breaks the previous driver, someone can write the new driver to the API spec, which should plug into your app without needing any source to your app.  (they've got everything they need in the API)  Doesn't this make more sense?

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2002, 04:03:46 AM »
I don't think incorect is the right word.  Anyhoo.