Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360  (Read 2927 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
I expect to see as much interest in the community for linux on the PS3 as we saw for linux on the ps2.

There is a huge difference... For the ps2 you actually had to buy a expensive kit to be able to run linux. Now you can basically just pop in your favorite linux dvd and press install."if the distro supports ps3"
It still will be limited compared to a pc though, due to Sony implementing restrictions which will stop the OS from having direct access to things like gpu. At least that is what i have understood so far.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 05:28:58 PM »
AmigaOS on the PS3/Xbox360/Wii will be about as successful as WindowsCE was on Dreamcast.

Offline GreggBz

• Show only replies by GreggBz
    • http://www.outerspacecrew.net
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 05:31:38 PM »
Please Use the Following Template

[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the SGI Altar!
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to x86
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the Nintendo Wii
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the Sega Genasis
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the Sun Ultra 5!
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the Atari Jaguar
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the Cisco 7600 BGR
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the HP 48GX
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the Dell Poweredge 2850
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the 92' Subaru Legacy
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the Neo-Geo

Because

[ ]It's cheap and popular
[ ]It's powerfull and unique
[ ]It has an easy instruction set
[ ]It has powerfull development tools
[ ]It's cool, and not like a PC
[ ]It's well suited to a slim, fast multi-tasking OS
[ ]It comes in a purple case
[ ]It has an obsolete OS and needs something modern and usefull

And then in
[ ]20 years
[ ]10 years
[ ]5 years
[ ]2 years

We will have
[ ]A revitalized Amiga community
[ ]A quality alternative to PC/Windows
[ ]A quality Animation / Multi-Media platform that's
( ) easy to use
( ) cheap
( ) stable
[ ]A solid competitor in the Desktop market
[ ]A solid competitor in the Server market
[ ]A really good foot heater

:-P

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 05:35:20 PM »

Tomas wrote:
I expect to see as much interest in the community for linux on the PS3 as we saw for linux on the ps2.

There is a huge difference... For the ps2 you actually had to buy a expensive kit to be able to run linux. Now you can basically just pop in your favorite linux dvd and press install."if the distro supports ps3"
It still will be limited compared to a pc though, due to Sony implementing restrictions which will stop the OS from having direct access to things like gpu. At least that is what i have understood so far.

Which is great. Linux on the PS3 or any other OS is just like linux on a pc, only with an enemic ammount of ram and no gpu. Awsome. Just what I would expect from sony.

Offline kd7otaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »
Excellent template that we should use.  Is it possible to make that template official?  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline GreggBz

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 05:57:01 PM »
I'm definately keeping it for future refrence.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 06:01:57 PM »
There is a place for it in embeded market for PCC eficient OSes but this has been so discussed that I don't know why I'm typing...

\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 06:13:18 PM »
I want it ported on my phone, so I can replace symbianOS.

lol, no, Symbian rulez...

Offline nadoom

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 06:21:47 PM »
there is no z80 based platform in that list  :pissed:
?وإلل وإلل وإلل, وأت د وي هف هر ثهن

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:43 PM »
Can we make this one too?

[] Let's visit an Amiga site via a non-Amiga PC and claim you know what someone else wants to run as a hardware platform
[] Bash every idea that is not actual classic hardware and/or software
[] Claim to know why it would never work...cuz you're a closet marketing major and you know what will sell and what won't
[] Claim it can't be done cuz you're a closet C programmer and you know everything and if you don't know or like C you are just a tool despite the fact that you have no public or commercial software of your own to warrant your expert opinion
[] Claim it will never be done, so give it up - cuz that's the easy way out when you want to bash someone to boost your ego.
[] Laugh at people who have actual running consoles at an affordable price while praising overpriced and underpowered vaporware products as the better solution

Offline GreggBz

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:45 PM »
there is no z80 based platform in that list

The Genisis (MegaDrive) has a Z80 co-processor.
Now hush.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 08:07:02 PM »

Tomas wrote:
It does not matter so much wether or not it will conquer the world of OSes. What matters is being able to run the OS that we prefer.

Sure, but there aren't enough people who feel that way to provide a commercially viable user base. It can't support even the basic expense in developing an OS, never mind providing enough revenue to keep application/games developers in business. I won't even venture into the hardware issue.

I can certainly say that alot of people here prefer running AmigaOS over Linux, MacOS, Windows and so on. I dont think that most people have much faith in AmigaOS being able to conquer anything besides the hobby market anytime soon.

It's not even "the hobby market", because there isn't one. At best, there's maybe a couple of thousand fanatics tops, no more.

As for now it is just a hobby platform. I do however believe that the user base could slowly grow over time if we get it onto some affordable and available hardware.

But why? This is the question no one will answer: why would anyone who isn't one of the fanatics choose to use AmigaOS with its lack of software, resources and numerous limitations? Even Hyperion practically admit that anyone who has a choice would not choose AmigaOS - they have used this as a reason to stay on custom PPC hardware for the last five years.

The first step is to get some kind of native software base. The problem right now is that we have barely no software devs due to the fact that there is hardly any available hardware.

No, there are hardly any software devs because the number of people actively interested in Amigas is now tiny and what you have is splintered between three related but incompatible platforms. If you got new hardware the people buying it would be the same ones who have an AmigaOne now - your dev resources would not magically increase.

So for now it is mainly targeted at the current amiga community, but who knows what it will be in 20 years providing that it is still being supported.

So, another 20 years of pixie-dust, fairy tales and magical mystery hardware that never quite reaches the working prototype stage?

The world moves on - the Amiga scene is stuck in a time warp. It's the resistance to get out of this time warp that has stupefied Amiga development for years. It won't go anywhere - because it can't go anywhere - unless people discard all the stupid principles that are acting as an anchor and holding it fast to the bottom of the pit.
Bill Hoggett

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 08:27:05 AM »
[ ]Let's port Amiga OS to the 92' Subaru Legacy

:roflmao:
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 12:51:25 PM »
By having an OS only available to abandoned hardware (classic & A1 lines), you have a ZERO chance of expanding the userbase/market.

By saying something like WINUAE or E-UAE can expand the market, it's a farce as people just use that to play games and really only if they have roms (legally or otherwise).  Only current classic owners by "new" classic software to transfer to .adf to run on a faster WinUAE machine...  How many casual users are going to pick up a Catweasel?  No, it's just current classic hardware owners who want to abandon their slow classic hardware.

By porting to a simple piece of hardware with an installed base in the millions (Wii, 360, eventually PS3), you have a POTENTIAL to grow the platform.  Now by platform, I mean new Amiga platform, be it AROS or OS4.

To hell with backwards compatibility.  It's a bane and we already have UAE for that.  What most people mean is interoperability.   To hell with it.  Why do I want to run 20 year old applications not designed to take advantage of better hardware.  I repeat - we already have UAE.  If you want to take advantage of old data, make conversion programs for old data files to open in new modern apps.

Linux has grown (slowly) because it's ported 100% and available for download.  Can't do that with anything Amiga so easily.  So no potential for growth.

I don't even care what hardware platform a new Amiga is based on.  I'll buy it just because it exists.  Let me be clear on something else.  I don't care because if anyone who was to make such a future OS has a real clue, they would make applications run off an intermediate language that doesn't care about EDIAN-ness or instruction set.  Only core hardware drivers and kernal need be compiled... Just have an efficient common runtime interpreter and apps will run on x86, Freescale, PPC, Coldfire.  End of freaking "wah this hardware is better" B.S. and just run what you got.

If you want to run an "amiga os" on a 300Mhz Coldfire or 500Mhz Freescale chip, that's your own issue, but atleast it would run...

Now some of you "oh look, another Lou Dias" trolls want to run your mouth.  However, since my "ppc real cheap" thread, I have opened up a website to cater to CONSOLE modders and have been making money.  There is a huge market for it and business is picking up and I(we) have been profitable for several months now after starting it with a friend just over 10 months ago (though I did it on my own for 4 months prior and profitable).  So continue to raid anyone trying to cross those bridges if it gives you true satisfaction in your lives.

PS,
Chilli Unlock Kits for the 360 are now in stock @ www.gameparts.biz

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 07:59:02 PM »
Let me ammend my message above in saying that HOLLYWOOD 2.0 seems to be the Amiga answer for Amiga-like application cross-compatibility.  I need to give this product a serious look right after I build my AROS box (still waiting for native SFS)...

Offline mustang

• Show only replies by mustang
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 26, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
 In order to port it to the 360, it would require some serious hacking, something that the free60 guys have been doing for months now, but still far from a running kernel(or any unsigned code for that matter).

Although the lack of access to the Rsx and the limited 256mb of ram, the Ps3 would be the best bet. I believe MythTV and ffmpeg guys are already working on optimizing their apps and codecs to work with cell's spus, and we should see nice softwares for the ps3 in 07.
Gentoo crowd is also working in a gentoo based distro, for the ps3, that will pack some cool tools for homebrew game developers.
There were some rumors of an opengl port to cell aswell, but I have found nothing so far.