Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'OS5' Myth or Fact?  (Read 7096 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: 'OS5'
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 10, 2006, 08:17:03 PM »
i meant mostly the "official" amiga patent, trademark, etc owners.

amiga actually means something to the aros guys. it means enough to them that for years they have labored over aros and are finally seeing some fruits to their work. same thing with uae, winuae, etc. amiga and amigaos still means something to them
same with the peg guys and minimig etc. even with many of them they know they wont get any maney out of it. some dont even want any money out of it.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2006, 09:08:25 PM »
amiga inc has had tons of time and plenty of money. they gave us os3.5 and 3.9 they have nothing more to offer me.

Actually, it was H&P who produced both of those. 3.5 was released during the Gateway days and 3.9 was so divorced of any Amiga Inc control they didn't even get any royalties for it.

Whether Amiga Inc ever had much money is debatable, but what they had they squandered and the only products they released were a farce. The so-called "Amiga Development Kit" anyone?

Let's not kid ourselves: they have given nothing to the community, unless it's a lesson on how not to conduct business. Judging by the way they handles other deals, I'd be surprised if they ever had any sort of written agreement with Hyperion, meaning that now we can have all sorts of conflicting claims over ownership and copyrights. I doubt anyone can release anything without being sued by one of the other parties.
Bill Hoggett

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »
does anyone know if they get royalties for amiga forever?
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2006, 12:13:56 AM »

KThunder wrote:
does anyone know if they get royalties for amiga forever?

Amiga Forever is fully licensed but I have no idea if the license fee was a one-off or royalty based.

Either way, it won't represent significant amounts of income.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2006, 01:13:30 PM »

dammy wrote:
In addition, Amiga Inc claims they have bought the OS back, Hyperion claims they have not, and the one of the Wonder Twins says that they not anyone else owns the kernal of OS4.

So how could it be OS4 when Amiga Inc doesn't own the OS' kernel?  I thought the definition of an OS was the kernel with the support software around it?  ie when you say Linux OS, your talking about the Linux kernel.  X11 is not Linux, nor is a ton of other code that you find in a Linux distro.  

Did the Friedens see the Amiga Inc's source code prior to writting their kernel?  Wasn't that one of the reasons why so many called MOS pirated code in the first place?  I wonder if Amiga Inc has the balls to issue a C&D to the Friedens.

Dammy

It's quite probable that AOS4 consists of a small lightweight kernel (probably the copyright of the Freidens), with the AmigaOS compatibility layer sitting above it... hang on that sounds a bit like MorphOS doesn't it? ;-)

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2006, 05:47:40 AM »
I have used 2-3 linux distributions so far and they seem similar in many ways, but the subtle diff's seem to trip you up most often.

I will agree that there can sometimes be 'surprises' vis. Amiga installation programs, BUT, compared to linux's 'freeform' approach (as you see stuff in usr/bin, /usr/sbin/, other places/, /root/, etc. etc. etc. - if there are rules, possibly only red hat or suse follows them) I still say it's a lot less complicated on the Amiga - at least I know there's only a few dirs that ever get stuff installed in them and where to look for that stuff - linux?  not even.

FreeBSD seems to be somewhere in the middle - the installation(s) seem more uniform but I keep bumping up against weird root-only permissions issues that defy an su command and have to be changed by actually LOGGING in as root, etc. - in other words, almost as much hassle in some cases as WinBlows.  No '70 reboots per install', but sometimes far more annoying than it should be.

To your point about compatibility checks, etc. I don't think the Amiga is any worse than Winblows for sure (although that situation seems to have improved of late despite the OS continuing to get slower and even more bloated on ever faster hardware - can you believe 'Worsta' is going to require ONE GB(!) to run well on a new machine?  Jay Miner is rolling over in his grave on that one, to be sure.

kevin