Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360  (Read 2946 times)

Description:

Offline Louis Dias

Re: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »

humppa wrote:
Helgis? lou dias? Is that you???

:lol:

Oh aren't we a funny bannana?
You can have Wayne chec server logs for unique IP to verify different users...

Anyway, as much as I despise MS, it's a useable PPC platform...

You are also quite blind to the fact that Sony is allowing Linux on the PS3...oh where will you put that bannana  now...

People still forget this possibility: carry your OS on a disc and your personal setting/files on a memory card

If, let's say, an AROS Live DVD was ported to Wii, 360 and PS3, I could carry that live DVD to practically anyone's house, boot up the OS and download my email, or write myself a note.  It's portable computing without the porting (of hardware).  Since all 3 consoles have USB 2.0 sockets, all personalized settings would come from a USB memory stick.

Oh, but then the zealots couldn't post their customized and overpriced hardware configuration in their online signature and wouldn't have something "special" to brag about...

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »

Belial6 wrote:
Um... Maybe your forgetting, but Amiga started it's life as a 'Play' platform.

Yeah, the zealots are in denial all the time...

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:43 PM »
Can we make this one too?

[] Let's visit an Amiga site via a non-Amiga PC and claim you know what someone else wants to run as a hardware platform
[] Bash every idea that is not actual classic hardware and/or software
[] Claim to know why it would never work...cuz you're a closet marketing major and you know what will sell and what won't
[] Claim it can't be done cuz you're a closet C programmer and you know everything and if you don't know or like C you are just a tool despite the fact that you have no public or commercial software of your own to warrant your expert opinion
[] Claim it will never be done, so give it up - cuz that's the easy way out when you want to bash someone to boost your ego.
[] Laugh at people who have actual running consoles at an affordable price while praising overpriced and underpowered vaporware products as the better solution

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:51:25 PM »
By having an OS only available to abandoned hardware (classic & A1 lines), you have a ZERO chance of expanding the userbase/market.

By saying something like WINUAE or E-UAE can expand the market, it's a farce as people just use that to play games and really only if they have roms (legally or otherwise).  Only current classic owners by "new" classic software to transfer to .adf to run on a faster WinUAE machine...  How many casual users are going to pick up a Catweasel?  No, it's just current classic hardware owners who want to abandon their slow classic hardware.

By porting to a simple piece of hardware with an installed base in the millions (Wii, 360, eventually PS3), you have a POTENTIAL to grow the platform.  Now by platform, I mean new Amiga platform, be it AROS or OS4.

To hell with backwards compatibility.  It's a bane and we already have UAE for that.  What most people mean is interoperability.   To hell with it.  Why do I want to run 20 year old applications not designed to take advantage of better hardware.  I repeat - we already have UAE.  If you want to take advantage of old data, make conversion programs for old data files to open in new modern apps.

Linux has grown (slowly) because it's ported 100% and available for download.  Can't do that with anything Amiga so easily.  So no potential for growth.

I don't even care what hardware platform a new Amiga is based on.  I'll buy it just because it exists.  Let me be clear on something else.  I don't care because if anyone who was to make such a future OS has a real clue, they would make applications run off an intermediate language that doesn't care about EDIAN-ness or instruction set.  Only core hardware drivers and kernal need be compiled... Just have an efficient common runtime interpreter and apps will run on x86, Freescale, PPC, Coldfire.  End of freaking "wah this hardware is better" B.S. and just run what you got.

If you want to run an "amiga os" on a 300Mhz Coldfire or 500Mhz Freescale chip, that's your own issue, but atleast it would run...

Now some of you "oh look, another Lou Dias" trolls want to run your mouth.  However, since my "ppc real cheap" thread, I have opened up a website to cater to CONSOLE modders and have been making money.  There is a huge market for it and business is picking up and I(we) have been profitable for several months now after starting it with a friend just over 10 months ago (though I did it on my own for 4 months prior and profitable).  So continue to raid anyone trying to cross those bridges if it gives you true satisfaction in your lives.

PS,
Chilli Unlock Kits for the 360 are now in stock @ www.gameparts.biz

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:59:02 PM »
Let me ammend my message above in saying that HOLLYWOOD 2.0 seems to be the Amiga answer for Amiga-like application cross-compatibility.  I need to give this product a serious look right after I build my AROS box (still waiting for native SFS)...