Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360  (Read 2941 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »
Honestly, what would be the point into making an OS to x86 if you can have other OSes that have been developed/worked on for much longer?

Because i and others prefer AmigaOS over more resource hungry OSes like Windows, Linux, BSD and so on. Neither of these feel as responsive as AmigaOS even when using a very minimalistic window manager.
Amiga OS is great, and id rather have a real Amiga to use the Amiga OS on. Sure its not fast, but what counts in the end is the feeling that you get knowing you are a handful of Amiga users that are online using the Amiga.

The real Amigas are sadly getting pretty outdated now :( I still use my Amiga for some stuff, but it is still more of a hobby for me now. Getting AmigaOS ported is the next best thing though. The reason i want it for x86, is due to the hardware being readily available and affordable.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 05:21:57 PM »
Why? Because every single platform you can aim it at already has better alternatives, or will do when it becomes worth investing in. An AmigaOS which only appeals to Amiga fanatics - and let's face facts, that's the only audience an OS without software, investment and developers can reach - isn't going to stand up to serious players. The age of the start-up getting in ahead of the big boys is dead and gone.

It does not matter so much wether or not it will conquer the world of OSes. What matters is being able to run the OS that we prefer. I can certainly say that alot of people here prefer running AmigaOS over Linux, MacOS, Windows and so on. I dont think that most people have much faith in AmigaOS being able to conquer anything besides the hobby market anytime soon. As for now it is just a hobby platform. I do however believe that the user base could slowly grow over time if we get it onto some affordable and available hardware. The first step is to get some kind of native software base. The problem right now is that we have barely no software devs due to the fact that there is hardly any available hardware. So for now it is mainly targeted at the current amiga community, but who knows what it will be in 20 years providing that it is still being supported.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
I expect to see as much interest in the community for linux on the PS3 as we saw for linux on the ps2.

There is a huge difference... For the ps2 you actually had to buy a expensive kit to be able to run linux. Now you can basically just pop in your favorite linux dvd and press install."if the distro supports ps3"
It still will be limited compared to a pc though, due to Sony implementing restrictions which will stop the OS from having direct access to things like gpu. At least that is what i have understood so far.