Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360  (Read 2936 times)

Description:

Offline kd7otaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:52:05 PM »
....Sorry guys, had to do it.  :-)

But seriously though.  For the past years visiting Amiga.org, I always see some kind of thread related that the Amiga OS should be ported to this or that.....

Honestly, what would be the point into making an OS to x86 if you can have other OSs that have been developed/worked on for much longer?

Sure some dont like windows, but that doesn't mean you have to use it.  :-)

Amiga OS is great, and id rather have a real Amiga to use the Amiga OS on.  Sure its not fast, but what counts in the end is the feeling that you get knowing you are a handful of Amiga users that are online using the Amiga. :-)

Until then, we should start a strike in front of Hyperion (They are the ones holding off until adequate hardware is available right?) and demand OS4  :-D

Smile everyone, its monday!  :lol:
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
Re: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to xxbox 360
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »
 :lol:
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:03:47 PM »
Helgis? lou dias? Is that you???

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »
Why don't we port it to the IBM Big Blue while we're at it? :-D
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline kd7otaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:07:28 PM »

McVenco wrote:
Why don't we port it to the IBM Big Blue while we're at it? :-D

Great idea!  :-D

Then we wouldn't need a graphics card and have the best graphics around.  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline nadoom

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:15:34 PM »
No no, we should port it to Z80, this way we can maintain our little clique and shun outsiders.  ;-)  :idea:
?وإلل وإلل وإلل, وأت د وي هف هر ثهن

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »
I think AmigaOS should be finally allowed to rest in peace and dignity.

It time for the grand deceit that is "the Amiga future" to be put to bed.

Why? Because every single platform you can aim it at already has better alternatives, or will do when it becomes worth investing in. An AmigaOS which only appeals to Amiga fanatics - and let's face facts, that's the only audience an OS without software, investment and developers can reach - isn't going to stand up to serious players. The age of the start-up getting in ahead of the big boys is dead and gone.

Amigans deserve better than a series of lies and broken dreams year in year out, being led by the nose by people who in reality have no respect for those whose faith they demand.

...on second thoughts, maybe they don't. I hear Hyperion supporters going on about "if you don't buy a ticket in the lottery, you can't win", but would you buy a ticket in a lottery that has no intention of holding a draw? It seems Amigans would, as long as the [d]conman[/d] salesman wore the right shade of red or blue.

All the time, money and resources wasted in chasing an impossible pie-dream should have been given to more deserving projects. Keeping old operating systems alive just for the benefit of a tiny fanatical audience has never been and will never be a profitable, rewarding exercise.
Bill Hoggett

Offline nadoom

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:08:34 PM »
I hate to say it but i sorta agree with you  :cry:

But aside from the mainstream there is no reason why amigoid os's cannot thrive! :-)
?وإلل وإلل وإلل, وأت د وي هف هر ثهن

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »

humppa wrote:

Oh aren't we a funny bannana?
You can have Wayne chec server logs for unique IP to verify different users...

Anyway, as much as I despise MS, it's a useable PPC platform...

You are also quite blind to the fact that Sony is allowing Linux on the PS3...oh where will you put that bannana  now...

People still forget this possibility: carry your OS on a disc and your personal setting/files on a memory card

If, let's say, an AROS Live DVD was ported to Wii, 360 and PS3, I could carry that live DVD to practically anyone's house, boot up the OS and download my email, or write myself a note.  It's portable computing without the porting (of hardware).  Since all 3 consoles have USB 2.0 sockets, all personalized settings would come from a USB memory stick.

Oh, but then the zealots couldn't post their customized and overpriced hardware configuration in their online signature and wouldn't have something "special" to brag about...

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 04:29:10 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

humppa wrote:

Oh sren't we a funny bannana?
You can have Wayne chec server logs for unique IP to verify different users...

Anyway, as much as I despise MS, it's a useable PPC platform...

You are also quite blind to the fact that Sony is allowing Linux on the PS3...oh where would I like to put that bannana...

All bow down to the gracious and fair god known as Sony for "allowing" linux to run on their play platform. I expect to see as much interest in the community for linux on the PS3 as we saw for linux on the ps2.

If the PS3 can run linux then by golly, AOS4 must surely be a possibility.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 04:45:49 PM »
Um... Maybe your forgetting, but Amiga started it's life as a 'Play' platform.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »

Belial6 wrote:
Um... Maybe your forgetting, but Amiga started it's life as a 'Play' platform.

Yeah, the zealots are in denial all the time...

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »
Honestly, what would be the point into making an OS to x86 if you can have other OSes that have been developed/worked on for much longer?

Because i and others prefer AmigaOS over more resource hungry OSes like Windows, Linux, BSD and so on. Neither of these feel as responsive as AmigaOS even when using a very minimalistic window manager.
Amiga OS is great, and id rather have a real Amiga to use the Amiga OS on. Sure its not fast, but what counts in the end is the feeling that you get knowing you are a handful of Amiga users that are online using the Amiga.

The real Amigas are sadly getting pretty outdated now :( I still use my Amiga for some stuff, but it is still more of a hobby for me now. Getting AmigaOS ported is the next best thing though. The reason i want it for x86, is due to the hardware being readily available and affordable.

Offline Tomas

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 05:21:57 PM »
Why? Because every single platform you can aim it at already has better alternatives, or will do when it becomes worth investing in. An AmigaOS which only appeals to Amiga fanatics - and let's face facts, that's the only audience an OS without software, investment and developers can reach - isn't going to stand up to serious players. The age of the start-up getting in ahead of the big boys is dead and gone.

It does not matter so much wether or not it will conquer the world of OSes. What matters is being able to run the OS that we prefer. I can certainly say that alot of people here prefer running AmigaOS over Linux, MacOS, Windows and so on. I dont think that most people have much faith in AmigaOS being able to conquer anything besides the hobby market anytime soon. As for now it is just a hobby platform. I do however believe that the user base could slowly grow over time if we get it onto some affordable and available hardware. The first step is to get some kind of native software base. The problem right now is that we have barely no software devs due to the fact that there is hardly any available hardware. So for now it is mainly targeted at the current amiga community, but who knows what it will be in 20 years providing that it is still being supported.

Offline Tomas

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
I expect to see as much interest in the community for linux on the PS3 as we saw for linux on the ps2.

There is a huge difference... For the ps2 you actually had to buy a expensive kit to be able to run linux. Now you can basically just pop in your favorite linux dvd and press install."if the distro supports ps3"
It still will be limited compared to a pc though, due to Sony implementing restrictions which will stop the OS from having direct access to things like gpu. At least that is what i have understood so far.