Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'OS5' Myth or Fact?  (Read 7093 times)

Description:

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
Re: 'OS5'
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 09, 2006, 04:08:22 PM »

SHADES wrote:
..., but the fact that someone in the AMIGA company has decided to tell everyone that they are making a new version is pretty good proof that there is something happening.

No smiley? Please tell me you're not being serious.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 04:21:29 PM »
Hi Cymric, you have a very distinctive aviator. I've noticed it for many years now. What is with that cat? it looks terrified, as if its Master has been abusing it in unsavory ways.

There's nothing 'with' that cat, it's simply photographed in this particular pose. Of course, being a Cymric, it is tailless, but whether it is a stumpy or a rumpy is something I cannot tell from this picture. And no, I don't own a Cymric myself: while looking for a new handle I wanted a distinctive breed of cat. At first I pondered the Holy Birman (my absolute favourite) or Somali (equally clever as the Siamese, but with an in my opinion more acceptable body shape), and then settled on the Cymric. Not many people know this breed, so it's a bit exclusive.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 06:21:30 PM »

neon32 wrote:
Well said shades, my thoughts exactly. I never get these people that spend their time bashing something they apparently don't care about and believe doesn't have a future. It's such a waste of time. If you care about something, care. If you don't, don't.. I'm not going to sit on a Windows Vista forum and constantly voice my oppinions about how much I dont like it and how much i'm not going to use it, it's completely pointless. Or any other forum for that matter.. If I did, i'd never get anything done!

You'd take the time to put down someone else's "pointless" opinion, though.
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »

boing wrote:
First of all Alan's negativity and badmouthing of the AmigaOS sucks.

The Leander is being pretty much honest. Right now there is no new hardware to run OS4, that situation has existed for about 18 months now, and Hyperion doesnt seem to be doing alot about it.  In addition, Amiga Inc claims they have bought the OS back, Hyperion claims they have not, and the one of the Wonder Twins says that they not anyone else owns the kernal of OS4.   Can you explain how we should think of any of the above as positive?

Secondly, what, exactly, do we need Amiga Inc. for anyway? I doubt they have the money to mount a legal challenge against anybody who tried to infringe on their "rights". Maybe a little economic hardship would be all it would take to convince them to sell off whatever rights they do suposedly have.

They sue people if they infringe, do you believe that Hyperion won't get sued if they sell OS4 and dont pay the royalties to Amiga Inc?   As for economic hardship, I'm not sure what more can be done to them.  They were kicked out of there offices, everything auctioned off, they've lost 8 court cases (at least) for money that they have yet to pay out, and yet Bill McEwen was still "secretly" being paid by his boss as we found out on the most recent lawsuit involving the on again off again CEO of Amiga Inc Garry Hare.

Does Fleecy stll have a greencard?

Fleecy was deported years ago.  He's been back in the UK for close to 4 years now.
    -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline neon32

• Show only replies by neon32
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »

Yep, i totally see your point, and i saw that point when i was writing the reply. But there's a different intention behind my post and the other posts.
My response was in response to someone who goes into a thread to actively put something down that doesn't interest them yet doesn't impose anything on them.
It's like me walking down the street everynight, coming home from work and walking into a shop of a clothing brand i dont particularly like and shouting "You Suck!" and then walking out again. My response was in the perspective of someone who works in the shop and has to put up with it everyday.

Ok, probably not the best analogy but i hope you get what i mean.

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 07:37:54 PM »
I don't know that linux is a 'great' alternative for AmigaOS, but it is certainly a usable one.  I personally think its installation scheme (which seems to vary with every program you compile/install/whatever) is ridiculous, but when compared to the VERY clean (even compared to mac/winblows) system the Amiga used, it's no wonder.

Then again, I'm currently using FreeBSD 6.1 and that's no picnic either.  But it still beats XP and DEFINITELY vista!  Win2K is the only really tolerable OS they have made and they've gone downhill ever since...(M$)....

kevin
http://www.amigau.com

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 09:17:54 AM »

NoFastMem wrote:

neon32 wrote:
Well said shades, my thoughts exactly. I never get these people that spend their time bashing something they apparently don't care about and believe doesn't have a future. It's such a waste of time. If you care about something, care. If you don't, don't.. I'm not going to sit on a Windows Vista forum and constantly voice my oppinions about how much I dont like it and how much i'm not going to use it, it's completely pointless. Or any other forum for that matter.. If I did, i'd never get anything done!

LOL!

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 11:58:53 AM »
In addition, Amiga Inc claims they have bought the OS back, Hyperion claims they have not, and the one of the Wonder Twins says that they not anyone else owns the kernal of OS4.

So how could it be OS4 when Amiga Inc doesn't own the OS' kernel?  I thought the definition of an OS was the kernel with the support software around it?  ie when you say Linux OS, your talking about the Linux kernel.  X11 is not Linux, nor is a ton of other code that you find in a Linux distro.  

Did the Friedens see the Amiga Inc's source code prior to writting their kernel?  Wasn't that one of the reasons why so many called MOS pirated code in the first place?  I wonder if Amiga Inc has the balls to issue a C&D to the Friedens.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »

amigau wrote:
I don't know that linux is a 'great' alternative for AmigaOS, but it is certainly a usable one.  I personally think its installation scheme (which seems to vary with every program you compile/install/whatever) is ridiculous,

Depends on the distribution. apt is a perfectly good installation system and massively superior to anything the Amiga had.

The problem is that not all programs are packaged in the right format, but that's no different to Amiga programs that didn't have an installer script.

but when compared to the VERY clean (even compared to mac/winblows) system the Amiga used, it's no wonder.

You're kidding, right? No uninstaller, no proper compatibility checks, libraries being upgraded that may or may not disable other programs...

The AmigaOS Installer program was actually pretty weak.
Bill Hoggett

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 04:35:34 PM »
Hahaha, pretty funny!  I think it's a joke!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: 'OS5' Myth or Fact?
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »
As others have stated, don't get your hopes up. Look at OS5 in the same way you would reports of Big Foot, chupacabra, Loch Ness Monster, alien abduction etc. If may be fascinating, but there is probably little chance of it every being proven in your lifetime. If it does you will be (pleasantly) suprised. If it doesn't you didn't waste any emotion.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 05:05:46 PM »
@SHADES

All the interest in the world won't make it happen. To many of the people watching at this point, there is nothing but disbelief until there is proof. Why? I'm sure if youv'e been watching for this decade +++ and you think about it you will know why. One empty announcement or lesser still just a hint after another. Some had good intentions, others did not.

Also look at the specific company we are talking about here. How many people rushed out and bought worthless dAmiga X86 boxes, Party Packs and other nonsense based on the announcements it would be needed to develope for the new upcoming OS4? Yes, OS4.

BTW: I can understand frustration of seeing so much negativity if you believe there something just around the corner. Speaking for myself I don't honestly think there is anything around the corner or for many years to come if ever.  :-(

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2006, 05:09:29 PM »
Yep, i totally see your point, and i saw that point when i was writing the reply. But there's a different intention behind my post and the other posts.

Just my opinion but I think you may be seeing malicious intent where there is none, just honest opinion of a very bleak situation.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »
i dont see this as a bleak situation anymore. i dont expect or care if os4 or os5 come out. i wouldnt give amiga inc any more money other than a possible new copy of amiga forever.

give me aros with a good browser and seemless uae or just integrated uae and ill be happy.

amiga inc has had tons of time and plenty of money. they gave us os3.5 and 3.9 they have nothing more to offer me.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »

they gave us os3.5 and 3.9 they have nothing more to offer me.

3.5 was released unter the GateWay regime, and 3.9 was released so shortly after the Amino-coup that they had no other influence than damaging it be calling AmigaOS dead.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2006, 08:17:03 PM »
i meant mostly the "official" amiga patent, trademark, etc owners.

amiga actually means something to the aros guys. it means enough to them that for years they have labored over aros and are finally seeing some fruits to their work. same thing with uae, winuae, etc. amiga and amigaos still means something to them
same with the peg guys and minimig etc. even with many of them they know they wont get any maney out of it. some dont even want any money out of it.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)