Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'OS5' Myth or Fact?  (Read 7099 times)

Description:

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
Re: 'OS5'
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 06:06:33 PM »
Sometimes I swear that dead horse is your avatar...

You're mistaken, it was legion's one :-P

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 07:02:16 PM »
surely there is some nostalgia amongst some millionaire's out there? is anyone actively lobbying them???

Problem is, most millionaires didn't get to be millionaires by throwing their money away on something with no chance of any returns. Now, that doesn't discount the possibility of finding someone who inherited the money or won the lottery, but the flip side of the coin is many of those people aren't already millionaires because they lack the business acumen to become one, which also isn't good.

I'm one of those who don't see the need for Amiga NG products. I'd rather have a computer that was the brightest and best system of it's time instead of a new system that can't hold a candle to even mediocre systems of the present.

Offline amiwalker

• Show only replies by amiwalker
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 07:25:30 PM »

jorkany wrote:
surely there is some nostalgia amongst some millionaire's out there? is anyone actively lobbying them???

Problem is, most millionaires didn't get to be millionaires by throwing their money away on something with no chance of any returns. Now, that doesn't discount the possibility of finding someone who inherited the money or won the lottery, but the flip side of the coin is many of those people aren't already millionaires because they lack the business acumen to become one, which also isn't good.

I'm one of those who don't see the need for Amiga NG products. I'd rather have a computer that was the brightest and best system of it's time instead of a new system that can't hold a candle to even mediocre systems of the present.

Why are you here then, if you are not interested?

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 08:00:01 PM »
amiwalker,
Why are you here then, if you are not interested?

I'm pretty sure the Amiga (remember, the REAL Amiga?) is still considered an Amiga.

Or were you just referring to this particular thread and not AO in general? In that case, it's pretty much the same reason as why people gawk at auto accidents.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 09:39:53 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
The problem I have with Linux is that it's not as easy to use as Windows and is now as memory hungry.

The problem you have with Linux is that you're familiar with Windows...

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 09:42:10 PM »
I don't know when OS5 will be out, but I know it will run on the Shark PPC! :lol:

Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 12:44:00 AM »

Floid wrote:

lou_dias wrote:
The problem I have with Linux is that it's not as easy to use as Windows and is now as memory hungry.

The problem you have with Linux is that you're familiar with Windows...

True to a point.
I grew up coding on a C64 and 128.  I used various 'ixes in highschool and college.  Heck I bought a special cable for my 128D that connected to the RS-232 port and gave me a 25 pin standard serial connection.  This allowed me to connect to UMass-Amherst's serial connection that was in every dorm room and I was able to edit and run code from my dorm room over a 9600BAUD connection via a VT100 term program.  This was connecting to both VMS and SPARC mainframes...

Today, I just want to turn it on and have it work.  None of this chmod, grep, makefiles, blah blah blah.  I'm more than willing to PAY for something that just works and NO I don't have the time to make it myself.

All I'm willing to do from a command line these days is: ipconfig /all

AROS Live CD's just work.  However, until I see a bounty for porting to MY platform of choice, I have yet to contribute.

Call me lazy, but I'm the consumer that without alot more of people like me willing to pay for stuff that just works, this market will never grow and prosper without.  If I can't be bothered, then there is no way John Q. Public will ever look at AROS, OS4 and the like...and most certainly not Linux.

I've thrown my ideas out there before:
1) make a live CD for any/every platform
2) make applications run off of common intermediate code
3) all personal settings are saved to flash media

Now as long as there is a "live cd" for any given platform, I launch it and plug in my USB flash memory card and all my files are there and can download email from anyone's "system" be that "system" a Mac, Wintel, 360, PS3 or Wii.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 03:44:46 AM »
"At this point I see devices like the minimig to have far more of a future then any number of troikas, samanthas or whatevers. AmigaOS at this point is so far behind on so many levels that beyond retro computing, has no hope of being marketable to the general public, or even more mainstream geeks."

the_leander +1

Spot on!

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 03:52:54 AM »

jorkany wrote:
...Or were you just referring to this particular thread and not AO in general? In that case, it's pretty much the same reason as why people gawk at auto accidents.

LOL!

...me too.

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 08:40:16 AM »
@ thread,

To all the negative heads here.
I get so over all this neagtive stuff. "Who cares, it will never happen" "Don't care an you won't be dissapointed" etc etc. Seriously, there's so much more to life. If you like AMIGA OS, then great, enjoy the fact someone somewhere also likes it and is MAYBE making a newer version. Or. Don't.
Who cares. It doesn't change what you have now, but the fact that someone in the AMIGA company has decided to tell everyone that they are making a new version is pretty good proof that there is something happening.

know why I read this tripe? most of the time I skip though it now, but it's hadings like OS5 that draw me in cause there might be some cool info or something for me that I am interested in, instead I get an earload of cry baby whinge garbage. The Topic should have been AMIGA's OS 5 or even OS x (x = a number) myth or fact. That way I could have just not clicked on it LMAO

Put it this way, has anyone from the AMIGA company come out and said, We are not making AMIGA OS anymore, it's over, go home ?    Didn't think so, so there is no proof it's not happening, sure it may take 10 years, so what, have they actually said that they are not making/developing AMIGA OS anymore?? Have Hyperion actually in writing said that they are not going to make OS4 even?   No? well then, spread the word, make some hype and see what you can do to help move the situation forward a little faster. I know that's what I want to do. If there is nothing to do but wait, guess what, wait or go find something else. It's your choice. How about some positive threads. Info on OS5?? anyone got any inside info they can spread?
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 12:14:08 PM »

Memory is so cheap these days that this excuse has long since left this earthly plane. Comfort requires RAM, it's as simple as that. As for 'not as easy to use': I think what you mean is that it is not Windows, and does things in a different way (thank god). Modern installations are perfectly usable, and just as easy, once you get the hang of things. It's when you begin to add funny hardware that Linux begins to show cracks and glitches.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline dillinger

• Show only replies by dillinger
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »
Hi Cymric, you have a very distinctive aviator. I've noticed it for many years now. What is with that cat? it looks terrified, as if its Master has been abusing it in unsavory ways.
My Sys Specs:-
A1200 Desktop^Blizzard 060 (Phase5) with mk-IV SCSI Kit (8.5ROM)^128MB 60ns RAM^Int. 30GB HD^Ext. SCSI DVD drive & 9GB SCSI HD^Int. DCE ScanDoubler/FF^ MicroVitec 1701 Msync monitor^PCMCIA LAN Linked^AmigaOS 3.9+BlizKick+PFS3

Offline neon32

• Show only replies by neon32
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 02:18:06 PM »
Well said shades, my thoughts exactly. I never get these people that spend their time bashing something they apparently don't care about and believe doesn't have a future. It's such a waste of time. If you care about something, care. If you don't, don't.. I'm not going to sit on a Windows Vista forum and constantly voice my oppinions about how much I dont like it and how much i'm not going to use it, it's completely pointless. Or any other forum for that matter.. If I did, i'd never get anything done!

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 02:54:49 PM »
the best and worst thing about linux is that it is unix.

it is based on a very old multiuser system with xwindow server slapped on top.

so what you have is a very capable very robust very confusing hard to use mishmash of old and new tech. if you stick your head under the hood youd better know alot about unix, c scripts etc.

in other words it was never really designed to be a consumer os.

the best and worst thing about aros is that it is amiga

it is based on an old consumer system converted by hand to an archetecture it wasnt designed for.

so what you have is a very capable flexible tech maintained by volunteers and supported by other volunteers.

in other words be patient.

i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for os5. aros on the hand is continuing to progress we need more apps, browsers etc.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
Re: 'OS5' Myth or Fact?
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 03:28:56 PM »
Its neither. Myths usually have even a small percentage which could make it a true story.

OS5 has 0%.

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 09, 2006, 04:08:22 PM »

SHADES wrote:
..., but the fact that someone in the AMIGA company has decided to tell everyone that they are making a new version is pretty good proof that there is something happening.

No smiley? Please tell me you're not being serious.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......