Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to the xx86.  (Read 8473 times)

Description:

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
Re: Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to the xx86.
« Reply #89 from previous page: December 03, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »

"Have a look at this interview with Ben Hermans"

Isn't that interview like 5 years old now :roll:

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2006, 10:10:24 AM »
if a day WinUAE will emulate PPC cpu...we can use both MOS and OS4 system..

Not going to happen.

Isn't that interview like 5 years old now

Yes and the funny thing is that they still state the same nowadays.  :roll:

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »
Heres a thought.

Why not have the best of both worlds or even all worlds.

With Multi-core, isn't it about time, we saw a die convergence.

Intel, PPC, Itanic, Sparc, ARM etc all on one die. Then the issue goes away. The architecture can be built around that.

A man for a seasons. A CPU that is everything.

Shaz
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »
You mean the 'codemorphing' debacle which Transmeta tried?

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2006, 04:42:52 PM »

odin wrote:
You mean the 'codemorphing' debacle which Transmeta tried?

In a word......No. :)

Shaz

was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »
Still beating this dead cow???

It's *NOT* going to happen.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2006, 05:22:20 PM »
Amiga OS 4 should be ported over to the xx86.

No.

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »

Methuselas wrote:
Still beating this dead cow???

It's *NOT* going to happen.

...its horse.

:-P

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
x86? Please... Everybody knows that the future of Amiga lies in the hands of Nintendo.

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »
great i can't wait to see it on my gameboy. :-?
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »
This, I can't have my operating system on a PPC, I'm going to cry  . I heard all this b***ching from the "diehard" Mac fans when their stuff went to Intel processors.

eeerrrHHH!!!!! is not this exactly what you x86 lovers are doing??????-----------> I can´t have my operating system on a x86 then i´m going to cry and make noise  :roll:
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2006, 12:32:27 PM »

Fransexy_ wrote:
This, I can't have my operating system on a PPC, I'm going to cry  . I heard all this b***ching from the "diehard" Mac fans when their stuff went to Intel processors.

eeerrrHHH!!!!! is not this exactly what you x86 lovers are doing??????-----------> I can´t have my operating system on a x86 then i´m going to cry and make noise  :roll:

No. The people who want it ported to x86 want so they can have access to it. The people who only want it on PPC want to make sure other people don't get it.

Of course, x86 users stand to lose relatively little from OS4 not being ported. OTOH, there is no future whatsoever for a PPC-only desktop OS. It will exist for a while and then die through natural wastage because it has no way of attracting fresh blood. It would struggle to keep going for very long even as an OSS hobby project, but as a commercial enterprise it's already as dead as the proverbial Mauritius giant pigeon.
Bill Hoggett

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2006, 01:47:56 PM »
I just had a couple of thoughts on this from someone who loves the classic amiga for what they were and what they are...

I have 5 PCs, 2 Amigas, 5 beige power macs (rescued from the trash 3 G3s and 1 G4).

The PCs I have are all 64-bit amd machines except one is an X2 dual core processor.. I am currently lucky enough to be running Windows Vista X64 on that and one other machine (yes the 64 bit vista). The other two active machines one is running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit and Vista Business 32bit.

Since I have installed this RTM release I haven't had one problem with memory, any BSOD (Blue Screens of Death) and for the most part great compatibility (no past software that doesn't run). Each machine has  gig of memory, and a USB flash drive that's at least a gig with system boost enabled on it (it moves the swap file out to the very fast USB drive). Only one of my machines doesn't support aero glass but every other feature works great, it's my business laptop anyway and doesn't really need it.

The 64bit performance especially on the dual core box is amazing. It has an Nvidia 6800GS pci express graphics card which boosts my system rating to a 4.5 on their benchmarking index that comes with the machine.

Anyway my point of talking about all of this is as follows would I run Amiga OS 4 if it were ported? At this point probably not, it would lack all the shader functionality for graphics that I already have and comparing Amiga graphics to DirectX 10 is like comparing it to direct x 1.0.. The comparison doesn't hold water for me anymore (even with pull down screens which I still think is Amiga's neatest feature).

I do like AROS and that works fine for me, I boot it whenever I am feeling nostalgic. If more cool unique software comes out for it, I might be inclined to set up a box to dual boot into it, but at the moment WinAROS running as a virtual machine is just fine (plus I can run multiple instances with the Dual core support of windows asymetric multiprocessing. I used to have a Dual processor pentium back in the original pentium days, that did some killer stuff with photoshop and the dual cpu support. I am glad to see this kinda support hasn't changed. Wish an amiga like OS could take advantage of it..

When I am nostalgic and wanting the old games I have moved my entire Amiga collection to ADF and I simply boot up winUAE which works wonderfully for the stuff I do..

Simply put what would OS4 give me? With the classic Amiga's I was attracted to it's big library of graphics design programs which are no longer available (well yes they are in PC versions that you can buy, the best anyway)..  If I were to look at cheap PC hardware all of the PCI cards that are supported on OS4 boards they look like a garage sale from a few years ago. We all want Radeon x1950s here these days versus a 7000. If OS 4 supports just the features of a 7000 then it's behind the times. Simply put I probably couldn't go out and buy
even on the cheap rack some of the stuff that is supported here in the USA.. It needs better device support.

OS4 would be nice on x86 but I firmly believe the time that they could even be succesful with that has come and gone. About the time BeOS was new would have been their opportunity. Now with things like Vista Media Center it just doesn't make sense to do an OS4. Maybe an OS5 :-)

Either way I agree with Hyperion not doing OS4 for the PC, it's not needed there is much better stuff out there. Maybe an OS 5 though would be cool. These guys are really innovative and if given an opportunity with new hardware and new features I think they'd do something incredible.

Don't relagate them to duplicating OS4 especially with the state it's in with support, which is not Hyperion's fault blame the hardware people and A Inc for that.
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2006, 01:50:31 PM »
@woz11,
What do you all think?

I think OS4 is already beyond the point of no return.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2006, 02:03:55 PM »

jorkany wrote:
@woz11,
What do you all think?

I think OS4 is already beyond the point of no return.

No more or less so than MorphOS. It's not the OS or the code or the amount of work required that's the problem - it's the lack of will, and in this respect AOS4 and MOS are brothers in arms. Both are therefore ultimately doomed - it's just a matter of time.
Bill Hoggett