Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: how do i get coding for os4?  (Read 3194 times)

Description:

Offline cycloidTopic starter

• Show all replies
how do i get coding for os4?
« on: May 05, 2003, 08:45:02 PM »
i'd like to jump right in with a tiny game (though not as tiny as minesweeper :-) but alas i've spent the past few years inside Microsoft Visual C++ (though i dont use the "visual" part) ... where on earth would i begin to begin coding something for os4?

should i get ahold of stormC and 3.9 in the mean time? what about getting a PPC? i'm sure  someone somewhere must have made an FAQ about all this somewhere!

• Show all replies
Re: how do i get coding for os4?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 12:28:22 PM »
that's pretty much what i thought: do it in 3.x as os friendly as possible and port it later , cheers

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 01:53:30 PM »
ok, this is funny. i'm getting somewhere now

1. downloaded gnu from aminet, extracted it all onto my PC

2. downloaded latest winUAE

3. dug out my 1999 (licensed) copy of amiga forever

4. read the readmes

5. got it configured

6. after a lock up and some bodge ups got a quick "Hello World" compiled!

took about an hour!

so where do i learn about multiple file projects (makefiles?) etc. i think i have a link to that amiga dev site where it just lists all the libraries / functions so that's a start ... i'll need to dig out my old vbcc projects too to get back into opening windows etc.

oh, and i will get it on on my amiga just wanted a quick go at familiarising myself with GCC

i only downloaded the 020c and 020cpp libs  and it seemed to go, but of course i need to read all the guides too to make c++ work proper!

edit: the beauty of this is that i can edit my cpp files in my nice text editor of choice on windows! (textpad = syntax highlighting, multiple files) and then compile it on the "amiga" ... what i really could do with is an 68k targetted cross compiler so that i'm not emulating the compiler! is there such a build of gnu?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 08:52:34 PM »
meaningless talk about registers etc.

i've no idea what any of that meant, which probably means it wont bother me. all i'll be doing is shuffling a sprite or two around a small window!

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 05:29:15 PM »
next problem: header files?

i think i have the correct header files but i'm not so sure. i'm now attempting a basic open-a-window prog and when attempting to copmile it get:

warning: implicit declaration of function int OpenLibrary( )

for all the intuition functions i used (OpenWindowTags etc.)

it might well be my header files, unless i put them in the wrong place (i stuffed them into "mc68020-amigados/include")

help!

edit: right i think i've got the proper includes and the libs and i've put them in gnu/os-include and gnu/os-lib respectively. i got rid of my previous include attempt BTW... still no joy!

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 06:24:54 PM »
argh! the more i try to find out the more confusing it is. wtf is all this fd2inline and hunk2out business all about? hasnt someone with some basic common sense and a 1200 got a working gcc distro, stuck all the correct headers abd libs and such in it and lha'ed it up anywhere? or would that be too easy?