Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Easiest Cheapest way for C++ Dev on AmiOS?  (Read 3349 times)

Description:

Offline RodneyTopic starter

• Show all replies
    • http://donthaveone.com/
Easiest Cheapest way for C++ Dev on AmiOS?
« on: March 23, 2003, 10:27:19 AM »
I recently doubled the RAM in my old P2 233 and its CPU to 400MHz and now UAE runs a bit better. Im confident i can compile stuff now :).

I downloaded the SAS compiler and before you know it, my first program on the Amiga was finished. So what if it was a hello world program :).

Next i'm going for the big one. Im going to try my hardest to impliment the w3c DOM standard, Level 1. I chose this because i like XML and i've wanted to do something useful for the Amiga community. I noticed some expat parsers on aminet, but no DOM. DOM is great!

Anyway, i have much planning to do although im very eger to start. Soon enough i realised SAS doesnt do C++ with what i've donwloaded and installed.

After some browseing, i've come to the conclusion that it might cost some money for SAS/C++. OR am i mistaken? There didnt seem to be much usfual information there about how to get C++ working, like what packages i need, libraries etc.

Anyway, i guess im asking, should i scap SAS and go Gcc as by looking at the packages on aminet, it all seems avaliable :). What's the cheapest easiest way to develop C++ applications on  AmigaOS?
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

• Show all replies
Re: Easiest Cheapest way for C++ Dev on AmiOS?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 11:32:15 AM »
Sweet, for now, i'll go with gcc as its the most avaliable right now. Its installation seems pretty straight forward, cept im now sure what the "inline headers" and "Amiga Libraries" sections are in the readme.

I alomost looks like i might be able to do with out them?

The "Amiga Libraries" section talks about libnix.lib, which im not sure really what it does.

Im sure if im porting unix apps i'll need ixemul.lib but otherwise i dont need it? And what i about libnix.lib, do i need it?

Edit: It says in the README that libnix is an AmigaDOS compliant library. So this just means its a library for GCC that impliments AmigaDOS functions or the AmigaDOS API?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 10:31:34 PM »

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 02:11:19 AM »
I've installed GCC. Now i have to get the Commador OS header files, otherwise, as quoted, i wont be able to copmile real amiga programs.

It says i can get these header files from the FISH CDs or from a dev CD or something...

Anyone know more information about these? What are these header files? Are these *like* the header files of the standard C/C++  libraries?

EDIT: Found a site which explains a lot of my questions. Explains ixemul.libarary. Also the Commador OS files. It also has a link to download the Commador Native Developer Kit, which includes the include header files i need to create real amiga programs.

Although ihave another question! When i installed VBCC i didnt have the header files (or did i?) and i was able to compile programs and run them. Is this a real Amiga program? What is a REAL amiga program that the gcc install said i wouldnt be able to create without the header files, which vbcc seems to do well... i think... :}