Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: amigabooks.org Content?  (Read 6670 times)

Description:

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
Re: amigabooks.org Content?
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2003, 10:19:04 PM »
@Downix

Wheres the project? What platforms are it for?

Hate figure. :lol:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2003, 10:21:11 PM »
Don't have a website, just got the mailing list set up... thursday I think.

Basically AmigaOS and MorphOS, but have no issues with it on AmigaOS 4 or AROS either.  The first goal is to get it on OS 3.9, a common base for all to them take it to their own choice of platform, be that AOS4, MOS or AROS.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2003, 10:25:00 PM »
@Downix

Well tune me in to the mailing list ( DaveP@amiga.org ) and I am expecting a replacement motherboard early next week so should be able to pull the source off as soon as I get up and running.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2003, 10:53:33 PM »
*reminds me, I need to order a new mobo for my 1200*

Alright, put you into the server's stack to be added to the list.  Just got it set up thursday, so still getting people added to it.  Should be on by tonight, you'll get a confirmation e-mail.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2003, 10:59:10 PM »
Two years ago I ported Opera for OS3.1 but forgot to mention it. Maybe amiga-news.de will pick this up and add it as a news item too!

Offline DaveP

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2003, 11:02:46 PM »
@KenneyR

You are entitled to believe what the hell you like. This was part of mozdev which as you know folded into nothingness.

Just because you might be a twisted little lazy sod doesn't mean everyone else is.

It's not as if I haven't mentioned it over the last two years or anything!

Offline KennyR

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2003, 11:15:12 PM »
@DaveP

This sarcasm wasn't aimed at you. If you go to www.amiga-news.de you'll see they've posted a "Mozilla for Amiga" thread based on this comment made in passing in this thread, which isn't even about Mozilla. This is totally ridiculous.

Just because you might be a twisted little lazy sod doesn't mean everyone else is.

Everyone who hasn't tried to port Mozilla is a twisted little lazy sod? I don't think so. The scale of the project is so enormous it just even adds more a ridiculous spin to the fact above for any person or group to claim that they'll port it to OS4. Save your insults for someone who's more naîve. It usually works.

It's not as if I haven't mentioned it over the last two years or anything!

My understanding of the Mozilla on Amiga project is that it failed miserably, with no progress at all being made (apart from getting a mention of Amiga on mozilla.org). Are you saying you've suddenly got to it work?

Offline DaveP

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2003, 11:28:18 PM »
Firstly I have not looked at Amiga-news.de for
a LONG time.

Secondly I have a version of Gecko that works on AmigaOS3.9 which was compiled for AmigaOS3.5 a LONG time ago. Its slow, buggy and barely complete. I stopped when I realised the branch I was working on was obsolete by a significant amount and the mozdev mailing list had gone dead. This was shortly before I upsticks and went PC for a bit. At that point it was orphaned and not even checked back into CVS. I have mentioned this many times on threads and in ANN. If it had been FINISHED there might have been a news story about it. But it was not and frankly I have no interest in supporting a codebase that few would treat as the "free" software that it is.

I have seen how people slag off those that write anything and stop supporting it.

KennyR wrote:
@DaveP

This sarcasm wasn't aimed at you.

Rubbish.

it just even adds more a ridiculous spin to the fact above for any person or group to claim that they'll port it to OS4.  Save your insults for someone who's more naîve. It usually works.

My understanding of the Mozilla on Amiga project is that it failed miserably, with no progress at all being made (apart from getting a mention of Amiga on mozilla.org). Are you saying you've suddenly got to it work?

LOL so basically you are saying that the sarcasm wasn't aimed at me - and then you say the job is too big for any one person to make progress on it

I think you are trying to distance yourself from your own statement which - to me - was clearly aimed at me who had "forgot".

I will help Downix and others as much as possible but you are a clear example of why I felt it wasn't worth the bother.

Offline KennyR

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2003, 11:40:23 PM »
LOL so basically you are saying that the sarcasm wasn't aimed at me - and then you say the job is too big for any one person to make progress on it

Both statements are true.

I will help Downix and others as much as possible but you are a clear example of why I felt it wasn't worth the bother.

Don't try to pass this off on me. I'm sure you can find some other excuse - a true one would be nice, such as you needed support for porting it and didn't get any.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2003, 11:45:42 PM »
@KenneyR

Riiiight so if the sarcasm wasn't directed at me
why did you post it here and not on Amiga-news.de?

I'm sure you can find some other excuse

"excuse" ??? WTF are you talking about? Did you hire me to do this? I have put my reasons above, do
not try to oversimplify them.

Oh Im *soooo* sorry I didn't carry on working on it
to get it to the state where it was a viable branch.  :-o

You are a case in point as to why people get put
off.

Offline KennyR

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2003, 12:07:46 AM »
Riiiight so if the sarcasm wasn't directed at me why did you post it here and not on Amiga-news.de?

Two answers:

1. I can read German but not write it very well.

2. There is a link from there right to this page. I meant for the people coming here to see the fact that that the amiga-news item was basically BS. That actually would benefit you - now they can't fairly accuse you of FUD when they discover some weeks down the line it was amiga-news' mistake and not yours.

"excuse" ??? WTF are you talking about? Did you hire me to do this? I have put my reasons above, do not try to oversimplify them.

Blaming me (who has nothing to do with the Mozilla project whatsoever) is not an excuse? I didn't criticise you at the time for trying. I'm not criticising you for not suceeding now. Why do you feel you have to try to say I somehow demotivated you?

Oh Im *soooo* sorry I didn't carry on working on it to get it to the state where it was a viable branch.

You don't have to apologise to me or to anyone (not even sarcastically). As I said (and I'll repeat it) I'm not blaming you for not completely porting it, I'm not even accusing you of claiming you completely ported it!

You are a case in point as to why people get put off.

I don't accept your blame. People get more put off when they are told something will happen when it won't. The Amiga-news.de mistake is an example.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2003, 12:11:19 AM »
KenneyR

I think I have grossly misunderstood you then and misinterpreted your words. We have been talking at cross purposes.

My apologies. I hope you accept them.

I clearly need to take time out ;-)

Offline KennyR

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2003, 12:15:31 AM »
@DaveP

No problem. There was misunderstanding, you got angry, I got angry, and hell, this kind of thing happens. I'm sorry, since my original post was more than a little cynical and badly focused. I accept your apology and hope you accept mine.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2003, 12:19:39 AM »
@KennyR

Totally accepted. It wasn't until your last post
I realised what you had meant.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2003, 12:32:44 AM »
Well you have been proven right. Can you believe
that one guy on there has basically said I should
have made a video of it running! .... riiiiighttttt

They clearly haven't come here and looked at the truth of the matter!

This hopefully won't get further out of hand.  :-?

Wish I'd kept my gob shut about it now and just
offered the code to Downix if and when he publicised what he was doing.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 09, 2003, 01:04:19 AM »
What are you doing for OS 4.0? If you don't mind me asking and your able to say.