Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 Beta copy  (Read 8311 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: OS4 Beta copy
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 19, 2003, 10:23:35 PM »
@Lando

you can't read that much into a person's statement.

Hyperion already said there were 77 betatesters since last year...by your logic this program has been ready for a year.

Getting together betatesters and having a release product are two different things.  Remember a lot of the development was just new modules that could have run under OS 3.9 and on 68k amigas....

All we know is that its in some kind of incomplete state and they hope to release it someday.  Thats all that can be said, if Ben Hermans wants to say more, he can...he's been posting all day.

He hasn't said any such thing, and how do the true believers think they are benefiting anyone by suggesting things Hyperion never suggested???

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2003, 10:23:46 PM »

downix wrote:
@Lando

The thing is, the Petunia webpage disagrees with the statement that the 68k emulator is done.  What he might be running, however, is in mixed mode, PPC on the PPC chip, 68k on the 68k chip.  Just a thought.  But it's still not a real beta.

But as long as it isn't MOS it can't be good. Right?

*sigh*

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2003, 10:28:46 PM »
Less talk more action.

Announcements in the Amiga world are not useful to anyone.

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2003, 10:47:30 PM »
Read this:

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2003-02-00202-EN.html

It should answer everyones questions. And when you're done, be quiet! ;-)

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2003, 11:08:06 PM »
Nice and seemingly honest interview.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2003, 11:23:34 PM »
@HotRod

Nice to see (at least) some info regarding their project status. I know this has been requested among A1 buyers for a very a long time now. Even I am somewhat interested, but more from a spectators point of view of course! :-P

Off Topic:

"If Amiga goes bankrupt, our license is commuted to an exclusive license to develop AmigaOS further, for any platform, not just PPC. This legally excludes a potential new owner from exploiting the source-code himself.

There is therefore nothing to be gained from buying Amiga's assets in the event of bankruptcy unless the new owner is willing to work with the OS 4 development team in good faith. "

A hypothetical question: What if the new owners instead of working with the OS4 development team in good faith decides to take MorphOS or AROS and proclaim that "the new AmigaOS 5", without using Hyperions source code at all?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2003, 11:54:10 PM »
@downix:

> The thing is, the Petunia webpage disagrees with the statement that the 68k emulator is done.
> What he might be running, however, is in mixed mode, PPC on the PPC chip, 68k on the 68k chip.
> Just a thought. But it's still not a real beta.

Your thoughts does seem a bit one-track to me. One-track, and biased to the point where they are just plainly wrong. From the Petunia page:
> When will the emulation be ready?
> "When it is done." :) Ok, it was just a joke... (Sorry Thomas! ;) Technically the emulation is
> ready. Now we are working on the integration into the kernel. It is not a long period process,
> if everything is working as it planned. I cannot tell you more precise interval.

The 68k emulator IS done. It's just not integrated yet. Well, actually it might be, since the above information isn't exactly new. Anyway, I'm finding it hard to believe that you didn't know this. You appear now to be intentionally spreading direct misinformation about AmigaOS4.

Kay

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2003, 12:02:10 AM »
@Kay

Pssst...

If you haven't alreay, read the interview with Ben Hermans on
amiga.de. There he gives both current development status of
AOS4 and some info on what has been going on with Petunia...
 (... now spread the word)

secret SlimJim

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2003, 12:06:56 AM »
  :-)

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2003, 12:08:53 AM »

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2003, 12:19:43 AM »
@Indaro

Are you the same shady con artist that owes hazy dave a shedload of money?

I think anything you say can be taken with a truckload of salt.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Kay

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2003, 12:22:19 AM »
@ SlimJim:

:-D

Kay

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2003, 03:09:28 AM »
The 68k emulator IS done. It's just not integrated yet.

68k emulators have been around for almost a decade, its the integration with OS 4, that *IS* the whole question here...and its the whole question for OS 4 too, everything else is just an update to modules a-la 3.5 and 3.9.....not saying those modules didn't need some updating....but this 68k engine is hugely important...they didn't port every module to PPC, so even if someone wanted to drop 68k support I don't think the OS would even run.

Offline Kay

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2003, 09:30:40 AM »
> its the integration with OS 4, that *IS* the whole question here...

I am of course aware of the importance of integrating it into AmigaOS. That doesn't make the statement "the Petunia webpage disagrees with the statement that the 68k emulator is done" any more truthful.

Kay

Offline Indoro

• Show only replies by Indoro
    • http://www.merlancia.com
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2003, 10:16:58 AM »

uncharted wrote:

Indoro wrote:
Rubbish!

Show me where I ever mentioned George Lucas or anything to do with him. Where did that come from off the side lines?

Amigactive Issue 23, page 37.

No..IIRC it said "We are expecting that our systems will be highly accepted by companies like Spielberg Studios and possible Lucasfilm Ltd. Show me where I made reference to personal dealings with George Lucas, anywhere, ever.

Both companies purchase multimedia products for video editing, etc. We were also anticipating the AmigaDE and a host of promised applications to run on them at that time, none of which will probably ever come out.

In regards to OS4: I have had conversations regarding what the status was a few months ago, and that didn't impress me at all. My sources are my own, and none of your business.

i.e. you have no source

No, I have a source with a judicial gag order on him at the moment. Wait a few weeks. Hyperion might have made progress recently, but nothing is apparent on the surface.

There is no apparent progress on this product from 6 months ago, nor from one year ago or better. AmigaOne is more late than anything we have announced,

That's strange as Hyperion have only been working on it for a year, and some of the progress made has been publically shown.  As for the AmigaOne, I know several people who have one in thier possesion now.  How many people own dual G4 Tsunami boards?

The Tsunami uses the Pegasos board, and it always has. As soon as dual G4 boards are available, they will ship.

In the meanwhile, I bid you a temporary farewell as I go to take care of more important matters than whether or not OS 4 is in true Beta or not.

What you're finally going to pay Dave?

No, Dave will never get another thin disme from us. He's gotten plenty already, and he still retains a lot of Merlancia design work and IP that we will never see. That physical and intellectual property is worth more than the money he desires to be paid. Furthermore, he had no contracts with us. After being furnished with them he refused to sign them, so he has no legal leg to stand on.

He and his little dog Skal were the reasons we lost $100k to Amiga Inc last January. We have no intentions to give him any more money. He made tens of thousands off of us between May 2002 and December 2002, and never provied us with anything tangeable, not even the paperwork that he supposedly had signed for us with IBM. Nothing what-so-ever except air.

After his little stunt with RWW; and don't think for a second that I'm so stupid that I can't see Count Daveula orchestrating all this through his little RWW Renfield; he'll never see a cent from us again.

Currently he has in his posession prototypes that we purchased, a logic board design that we own, and paperwork that we should have. He was told last year that if he wanted to be paid, that he would have to turn this in as a condition. He refused to do so, and therefore any further communication from him was ignored.

This is the same man that one year ago thought we should dump the Amiga market alltogether to focus on Linux. He's a friend to none of you..this is all a personal vwngence cruisade against us, just like he made on Met@Box and CBM. Maybe you should seek the other side of the story from other employeers that he has had. Apparently everybody is out to get Dave. Ever stop to think that he isn't much of a Saint himself?

I don't know why this has become a topic here. If he had a legal case against us, it would have been filed long ago. He doesn't. Period. I'm sorry we ever hired him.

//RC//

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2003, 11:49:45 AM »
@takemehomegrandma

What if the new owners instead of working with the
OS4 development team in good faith decides to take
MorphOS or AROS and proclaim that "the new
AmigaOS 5", without using Hyperions source code
at all?

well everybody nows that MOS suposed to be OS4 "the easy path", but this comunity allways chose the hard path, maybe in the future BB's money speak Again and they get Amiga IP and all the BETA work of Hypherion, as we know the AOS4 project will probably still be in BETA :roflmao:
Or implementing the 68k emulation :crazy:

I know people, i know,  troll... troll... troll... bla bla bla.