Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 Beta copy  (Read 8312 times)

Description:

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: OS4 Beta copy
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2003, 07:56:11 PM »
Beta test is not public, at least not at the moment. We currently have 77 Testers as of Feb 14th, and we don't take more at the moment. Sorry 'bout that  :-)
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline EntilZha

• Show only replies by EntilZha
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2003, 08:03:00 PM »

> That leaves me to wonder why there isnt any beta copies being rolled off???

The beta testers (al 77 of them) already have their beta versions, and they are testing OS4 since last year (I think since November).

- Thomas

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2003, 08:20:00 PM »
@Hyperion: I have clear memories sitting on the AmigaONE mailing list in 2001 august. Names changed, nothing else. Hope you will succeed and wishing the best for the development process of OS4. You have a hard heritage but yet you seem to do the same... Hope a product will be the difference.

Offline Mr_Capehill

• Show only replies by Mr_Capehill
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2003, 08:30:52 PM »
Thomas, have a coffee break, Rogue is ahead of you  :-D

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2003, 08:41:16 PM »
I am a proud owner of such beta system....
It´s my main system for daily usage,and....
It rocks!!!!
AmigaOne X1000

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2003, 08:53:58 PM »
I am a proud owner of such beta system....
It´s my main system for daily usage,and....
It rocks!!!!

Too bad you cannot tell us any specifics on the performance
and 'completeness' of the system/OS. That's after all the info
everyone so desperately craves.
SlimJim

Offline Indoro

• Show only replies by Indoro
    • http://www.merlancia.com
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2003, 09:00:35 PM »
Rubbish!

Show me where I ever mentioned George Lucas or anything to do with him. Where did that come from off the side lines?

In regards to OS4: I have had conversations regarding what the status was a few months ago, and that didn't impress me at all. My sources are my own, and none of your business. If i prove to be incorrect on this matter, I will humbly aologise to those offended, but I at this time see no need to. There is no apparent progress on this product from 6 months ago, nor from one year ago or better. AmigaOne is more late than anything we have announced, and we have never taken orders from anyone, so pre-sold anything, nor even pre-sold certificates or such garbage as A.I. has done.

If we were out to screw the Amiga community for money as some have claimed, we would have done one of more of these many things. We had people walking up to us with cold hard cash trying to preorder systems, and that money was rejected. There is a value of honor in this company, whether or not some would understand it.

My opionions are valued by some, rejected by others. I really couldn't care less about it. May my actions over the next few months prove otherwise, my words are meaningless on deaf ears or blinded eyes.

In the meanwhile, I bid you a temporary farewell as I go to take care of more important matters than whether or not OS 4 is in true Beta or not.

Namárië!

//RC//

Offline Indoro

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2003, 09:03:27 PM »
A beta system, your daily usage machine? Somehow I don;t think so. While I can believe that you are running an 'AmigaOne' system with Linux in daily use, even if OS4 was in beta, it would be most unwise to use it as a daily OS for important projects. Beta testers never, ever use a beta OS for important work or data.

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2003, 09:07:49 PM »
@Indoro:
that`s what i[edit]thought[/edit] before installing it on my main system.So take it or go away!
Edited:
AS my main language isn`t english,i hope someone understands me...
AmigaOne X1000

Offline Indoro

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2003, 09:20:07 PM »
Right. Now I'm confused. You said that your Beta system is your main system. Now you say that it is not? What did you mean by

"It´s my main system for daily usage,and....It rocks!!!!"

??

//RC//

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2003, 09:27:21 PM »

Indoro wrote:
Rubbish!

Show me where I ever mentioned George Lucas or anything to do with him. Where did that come from off the side lines?

Amigactive Issue 23, page 37.

In regards to OS4: I have had conversations regarding what the status was a few months ago, and that didn't impress me at all. My sources are my own, and none of your business.

i.e. you have no source

There is no apparent progress on this product from 6 months ago, nor from one year ago or better. AmigaOne is more late than anything we have announced,

That's strange as Hyperion have only been working on it for a year, and some of the progress made has been publically shown.  As for the AmigaOne, I know several people who have one in thier possesion now.  How many people own dual G4 Tsunami boards?

In the meanwhile, I bid you a temporary farewell as I go to take care of more important matters than whether or not OS 4 is in true Beta or not.

What you're finally going to pay Dave?

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2003, 09:27:32 PM »
@Indoro & Ami603

Language barrier? ;-)
SlimJim

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2003, 10:04:34 PM »
This is all very interesting.

Ami603 says he is running a Beta of OS4 as his main Operating System.

Judging by his name I am assuming he has a BlizzardPPC (603e)? So this suggests that OS4 is up and running on Classic Amigas with Blizzard cards!  And it also suggests that the integration of the 68k emulator (Petunia) is also complete!

Maybe all that is left to do is removing any remaining chipset dependencies (if there are any left) and OS4 will be running in it's entirity on AmigaOne also!

Very good news, I'm sure everyone will agree :).

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2003, 10:14:54 PM »
@Lando

The thing is, the Petunia webpage disagrees with the statement that the 68k emulator is done.  What he might be running, however, is in mixed mode, PPC on the PPC chip, 68k on the 68k chip.  Just a thought.  But it's still not a real beta.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2003, 10:20:10 PM »

Lando wrote:
This is all very interesting.

Ami603 says he is running a Beta of OS4 as his main Operating System.

He may mean OS 4 conponents rather than the full caboodle.

Judging by his name I am assuming he has a BlizzardPPC (603e)? So this suggests that OS4 is up and running on Classic Amigas with Blizzard cards!  And it also suggests that the integration of the 68k emulator (Petunia) is also complete!

Maybe all that is left to do is removing any remaining chipset dependencies (if there are any left) and OS4 will be running in it's entirity on AmigaOne also!

Very good news, I'm sure everyone will agree :).

Erm I'd say that was a rather big jump you made to get to that conclusion.  :-o What you describe is a second best case scenario. (The best would be if he is running it on a dual G4  AmigaOne with full Altivec support thoughout the OS :-D )

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 19, 2003, 10:23:35 PM »
@Lando

you can't read that much into a person's statement.

Hyperion already said there were 77 betatesters since last year...by your logic this program has been ready for a year.

Getting together betatesters and having a release product are two different things.  Remember a lot of the development was just new modules that could have run under OS 3.9 and on 68k amigas....

All we know is that its in some kind of incomplete state and they hope to release it someday.  Thats all that can be said, if Ben Hermans wants to say more, he can...he's been posting all day.

He hasn't said any such thing, and how do the true believers think they are benefiting anyone by suggesting things Hyperion never suggested???