Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bailing out!  (Read 4034 times)

Description:

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
Re: Bailing out!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2003, 01:25:58 PM »
Amiga is and will be back bigger and better !!!!!!!!!

Change the record, nearly 10 years we have heard the same thing and where is this amazing come back? Amiga computers will never be a hugh success like they was in the late 80s/early 90s,

One thing to remember is not everyone is a blind follower.

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2003, 01:35:01 PM »
Hmm i gave up a few years ago (2000 to be exact) at the time i was having more and more problems with the scsi in my A4000 untill one day i had enough and the PC got more and more usage and i sold the a4k! since then i bought several Amigas for myself and built machines for others purely as a hobby thing! these days i have several classic miggys here wich i turn on every now and then sometimes for nostalgia and other times just cause i like amIRC :) i also have a Pegasos wich get more or less no usage thanx to the BB2 bug wich i hope will get a replacement board for soon! all i can say to those selling theyre gear is! DONT FORGET AROS :) one day it WILL be great OS i have no doubt in my mind about this.

Offline pteppic

• Show only replies by pteppic
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2003, 02:02:17 PM »
Its a sad situation, but I am slowly moving in that direction myself.

I used to be a big amiga fan, but since I got a PC a year ago I have hardly turned my A1200 on at all.  I've waited and waited for resurrection from Escom, Gateway and Amiga Inc but am just simply too tired of waiting.  From now on Amiga will not be anything other than a hobby,  I have to have a PC for my work, the software just doesn't exist for amiga.

I'm very impressed with the development of the C=One and I look forward to buying that, as for the AOne, when it is released with AOS4, I'll buy it if i have the money spare and hopefully that will boost me out of this "AmigaDepression".

ptepppic
\\"But please remember this is only a work of fiction.  The truth, as always, will be far stranger.\\"

---Arthur C. Clarke

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2003, 03:02:45 PM »
I still "love" my amiga.
But I am so tired of being kept in the dark, so god damn tired of every thing beeing prosponed all the time.
So I am also moving in the PC direction.

I am sure that new amiga HW and OS can really kick some serious @ss, but amiga really really need to finish it very soon... not in an toher half year or so..

Offline Spidey

• Show only replies by Spidey
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2003, 03:03:45 PM »
Hello WarPiper,

I'm sorry to hear that. :-(
But I also understand it. :-)

Look at me: until yesterday I only had my A1200 at home (and 2 fully operating Vic20's :-D) and I had ordered a AmigaOne.
Because of all delays I "bailed out" of my order for the AOne and instead ordered a Pegasos.
And why you may ask? Because I also want speed and todays hardware (ofcourse I don't mean the latest state of the art hardware).
Because of what I heard about these two systems (that they only would emulate (JIT) original Amiga software, but no hardware depent software) it doesn't matter for me if I take the official Amiga or a "clone" of it.

As I see the future is software support for both systems. Look at IBrowse 2.3. On their site they also mention MorphOS while IBrowse will come with OS4.
The new games which are coming now. People say for MorphOS, but look at their site and there it states: also for OS4 when it comes (the game is Alien Nation or something like it).

For me I'll support both systems and at first the software companies who are making stuff for OS4/MorphOS. I just bought the full version of IBrowse. I'll buy one of these two games when it emerges on the street (to buy two similar games is a bit too much for me :-)).

Take care,

Spidey

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2003, 05:16:09 PM »
after waited AmigaOne+OS4 for 2 years it seems time wasted.

Lets be alittle realistic here, did you really expect OS4 to be released 1 or 2 years ago? Sure you maybe could have had 1 year ago and not so usable state.
You only have to look at MorphOS, its been in development long before there was even a plan for OS4, bill was not CEO of Amiga and MCC was prolly the next big Amiga thing.
 If you want a miracle, then MorphOS would be in its final state, not still what it seems is Beta form after 4+ years?
We could prolly all have a beta OS4 if thats what public would want but personally i don't, i'm willing to wait, have the job done proper.

To way up its timeframe against Morphos development with a non beta release due any month now then Hyperion have been doing a very quick fully commited job.
 Will it be any good?  I sure hope so but the truth will be in the use,  they have a great team, they aint rushing it just to get it there either. Some things our worth waiting for and for me this is the one, Morph to i would happliy try out if it will work on the H/W

As an added curious note, can the latest builds of Morph be run on classic Amiga PPC hardware?

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »
heard it all before...

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2003, 06:28:28 PM »
Well if you don't use or enjoy using your current Amiga(s) then I can understand throwing in the towel...but for me the Amiga is still a fun hobby (and not my main machine) so regardless of what happens or doesn't happen down the road I'm gonna keep my A1200.

Although I respect Hyperion and salute their efforts I'm pretty skeptical about the next generation Amigas, considering the company that's supposedly leading the charge into this brave new future can't even deliver on a simple T-shirt campaign.  
:-?

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2003, 07:46:46 PM »
@WarPiper

goodbye then  ill still be going on and have a little faith  theres not that much an amiga cant do if its upgraded  your just scared of spending money.
ive just won a bid on ebay for an amiga 1000 ive wanted one of these for ages it cost me 113 pounds to get  but its a collectors machine  like my cdtv .I only want a genuine amiga 4000 tower now and the full motion cartridge for a cd32 so it can play vcd,s,
and ive orderd an amigaone after all its only money and its no good to you if you die. :-D  :-D  :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline machinehead

• Show only replies by machinehead
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2003, 09:48:00 PM »
I agree.
I am in the process of getting some money orders together to send to "64 and more store".
I want a 2000, a 3000, and  a 500+.
Why?
BECAUSE I CAN!! :-D  :-D
I don't use my 1200/060 for much serious stuff. But it is as tricked out as a 1200 can get, barring PPC.
I even have a printer switcher for sharing my Epson 740 between my Compaq and Amiga.
This is my hobby. I love my A1200 so much I am going to buy a spare motherboard (3.1) to have in case anything happens to mine.
Fer cryin' out loud, it's only money. We NEED to have something to do. A hobby. The Amiga is a great hobby machine.
I still need some games tho'

WAIT A MINUTE! Both of my computers are from companies that are broke!!!
 ;-)   :lol:  :pint:

Offline WarPiperTopic starter

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2003, 10:31:58 PM »
@KennyR

I have to agree with you about windows xp, I think that is just windows 2000 with alot of eye candy and unneeded junk, But as far as windows 2000 pro goes, I have installed it in april of 2001, and have never had to reinstall, reconfigure, reformat anything (well except for a 120Gb HD added to a secoundary IDE to act as a F/G drive).  I can understand your complaints if this was windows 95 or 98 or hell even ME (me really sucked), but sorry your general complaints fall on deaf ears right now.

As much as we all dislike to give the big MS any credit, they have done alot with windows 2000 pro, they have security patchs and software updates almost everyday to help with problems the users have through out their use.  Windows 2000 Pro in my own opinion is a very stable and efficient OS for these days and ages.  lets face it the days of the 8 bit micro OS's had gone the way of the Atari or C= (belly up)

But enough about MS Windows,  I am not  writing to bash any operating system or platform, I still love the amiga, but I have long ago turned from blue to purple with holding my breath, waiting for something new, spending my check, emptying my pockets for the next Amiga hardware hack that will most likely put my family in the poor house, and still not be able to do what I need to do.  My son needs a computer for school, none of the school software will work on the amiga, my wife needs a fashion design stiching program its not on the amiga, I need to use excel, (I, unfortunitly need to bring home work from the office).  Its just basice needs that are required everyday that put me off from the amiga because I can not use it.
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline Paul_Gadd

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2003, 10:49:54 PM »
@WarPiper

I totally agree with you, Amiga has a great OS and some good software but as needed/standard everyday software goes the Amiga totally stinks and can not be consider anything more than a hobby machine,

I will not purchase a NG Amiga or Pegasos because there is no point whatsoever in buying something expensive where the software is not even there and never will be,

I will continue to enjoy running Amiga software via Amithlon and UAE as that is the only way i will run Amiga software at great speeds without wasting cash on a dead duck.

Offline lurkist

• Show only replies by lurkist
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2003, 10:54:34 PM »
As you wish.  My whole system would have to explode before I get rid of mine.  I use it daily for all sorts of stuff.  In fact, I can't think of a single thing I "need" a PC for.  This lil' old machine does everything I want.  So I will continue to buy software and hardware as long as it's produced (and beyond that via the second-hand market).  LONG LIVE AMIGA!
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 1260 66 +32MB, OS3.9, 2.5\\" HD, IDEfix97 + DVD-RW + Zip, SD/FF + 15\\" CRT, Ioblix1200P + scanner, PCMCIA LAN + router

Offline WarPiperTopic starter

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2003, 10:57:13 PM »
@Paul_Gadd

Exactly.  I think it is stupid to run out an purchase the first new system from any company that has to first make a market.  I would like to try Amithlon.  WinAUE, I am not all that thrilled about because I would like to take the drive from my 4000 and just shove it in my pc and still run all the software that I had on my amiga, I also would have liked to create a dual boot PC/Amiga system, but that is out of the question now.
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline Paul_Gadd

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2003, 11:02:02 PM »
@WarPiper

I would like to take the drive from my 4000 and just shove it in my pc and still run all the software that I had on my amiga

I backed up my harddrive to cdrw in my old A1200 a few week before it died and now run the stuff on the x86 machine like i never left plus the extra benefit of running massive 32bit screenmodes without paying premuim for PCI boards and slow PCI graphic cards,

a dual boot PC/Amiga system

I dual boot Win 2000 pro and Amithlon and it is great to get the best of both worlds without purchasing expensive hardware.

Offline picasso_41

• Show only replies by picasso_41
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 12, 2003, 11:30:17 PM »
I have an A4000T / 060 and it still works. I do simple word processing and DTP with Final Writer. It does what I want, although a bit slowly. I hate to switch to another system and reformat everything in different software, but I'm going to have to.

I plan to drop the Amiga soon because there's no one to fix it if it breaks and I don't know how to get on the Internet with it. I will move to the Mac, if I can decide which one to buy. Wintel machines are out of the question; they aren't any fun.

I'll probably keep the Amiga around in case it comes back, but I'm not holding my breath.