Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bailing out!  (Read 4033 times)

Description:

Offline WarPiperTopic starter

• Show only replies by WarPiper
Bailing out!
« on: February 12, 2003, 07:14:24 AM »
ok, this is the end of the line for me and the Amiga.
it is no longer a useable system for me, nor is it worth upgrading anymore.  Sorry to say this but it is a dead machine (platform for that matter) I do not see Amiga going anywhere in the future with their endevers for a new system, nor do I ever think that it will make a very supportive comeback.  I will not support the Amiga in the future untill after it has been out a while and I see that there is REAL software and support, I just grew tired of being behind the times, not having software/hardware that meets todays demands for business and entertainment, and educational needs.

Sorry but when I look at my Amiga systems I see large paper weights that burn electric.  I have had absolutly no desire to even turn on the Amiga for over the past year, so, with that said, I am throwing in the towel.
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
Re: Bailing out!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 07:28:16 AM »
Been there, done that. I kept the A2000 running though and I still get pleasure from it.
The A4000 and A3000 hardly ever even get turned on these days.
I get to play with lots of new softs on win during the day, everything from MPEG encoding to DVD authoring and playing with images in both Photoshop and Corel DRAW, but quite honestly it gets boring.
I'd much rather be stretching my grey matter figuring faster and more efficient ways to get things done on the BBS machine (the A2k) under ARexx.
Hopefully we'll oneday see a real Amiga resurgence.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline KrasH

• Show only replies by KrasH
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 08:48:47 AM »

WarPiper wrote:
it is no longer a useable system for me, nor is it worth upgrading anymore.  Sorry to say this but it is a dead machine (platform for that matter) I do not see Amiga going anywhere in the future with their endevers for a new system, nor do I ever think that it will make a very supportive comeback.  I will not support the Amiga in the future untill after it has been out a while and I see that there is REAL software and support, I just grew tired of being behind the times, not having software/hardware that meets todays demands for business and entertainment, and educational needs.

Sorry but when I look at my Amiga systems I see large paper weights that burn electric.  I have had absolutly no desire to even turn on the Amiga for over the past year, so, with that said, I am throwing in the towel.

Sorry to hear that. I use my Amiga's a little less than I used to. I haven't turned on any of the A1200's I have (one with 68060) for over a year. I do still use my A4000/060/PPC atleast a few times a week (mostly to do a Canberra Amiga Users Society newletter, we still have 12 members). I even installed some rounded IDE cables and a few "disco" cold cathode lights and fans that light up ;) But I'd never think of using that as a paper weight (could use it as a light source), although at one stage I didn't turn it on for a few months.

I use PC's alot. For games, Digital video, school stuff etc. I'm actually thinking of buying a completely new setup (well, the AthlonXP 2400+ I thought I killed with my current setup still works, so I need to put together a computer to use it). Actually thinking of adding a Sony DRU-500A DVD burner (Burns every DVD burning format and is pretty good value) to the new setup when I put things together. Even after making a monster of a PC (more of a monster than my current beast), I'll probably still do the odd thing with my A4000/060/PPC. Atleast the Amiga's simplicity/familiarity (well I have used Amiga's for over 10 years) will cool my brain after playing with the windblows box.

Oh well, I hope that the AmigaOne will go somewhere. Just hope that it doesn't go to the rubbish bin. The AmigaOne and AmigaOS 4.0 do have potential. Let's just hope (damn, I've used that word yet again).
Amiga 4000 CSPPC [retired]
Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3Ghz / Corsair H100 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 16 GB / 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 2 x EVGA 2GB 680GTX SC Sig / 3 x Benq XL2420T / 1 x Samsung 2443 BW+
27" iMac / i7 @ 3.4 / 680mx / 3TB Fusion / 32GB RAM

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 09:38:45 AM »
Hi all,

Yer all a bunch of deadbeat defeatists ;-) (joke)

Seriously though, I use my A1200T/040PPC/Bvision based miggy on a daily basis and for all kinds of things from coding, art, composition, mastering you name it. It's my PC that sits gathering dust until I need to port some code to Wind'ohs or work on java etc.
I guess it all comes down to what people want out of their machine.
If any of you have got any A4000/060 paperweights you don't want, give them to me ;-)

Maybe when (sigh) the newer hardware appears you'll be enticed again...
int p; // A

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 09:45:19 AM »
Bye - enjoy reinstalling Windows every month.

Offline jd997uk

• Show only replies by jd997uk
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 10:50:19 AM »
Bye - enjoy reinstalling Windows every month.

LOL. It ain't _quite_ that bad........................
I have to admit the 1200T don't get used as much as it used to. I've started using UAE and with my AthlonXP 1700 running Win2K and UAE, it easily outruns my 060. Try running say ImageFX on an 060, then run the same script on a fast(ish) UAE setup; you won't want to go back.
I don't for one minute think emulation is the answer, but to get speed of use on Apps NOW, it's the only solution.
When the full Amiga solution becomes available (OS4+G3/4 H/W), I'll buy into that, as it would (should!)easily give the speed that I would like to see.
Hmm, maybe I'll breakout the G-Lock and turn the 1200 back into a video experimentation box.

-john

Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 11:08:07 AM »
@KennyR

As mindboggling as it can be even M$ have  gone forward. And much more than any Amiga during these years you have been playing Caveman  :-P  .. So it's no longer matter of installing it again each month (nor even rebooting it weekly) cause those are no needed anymore.

But the sad fact is that this Windowse PC feels so boring, I've been trying to find workable alternativies (linux= even worse) but all of them have failed one after another. And now, after waited AmigaOne+OS4 for 2 years it seems time wasted.  

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 12:06:30 PM »
Gone forward to what, JoannaK? WindowsXP? I'd say that was a step back. Every time they push the hardware forward, Windows gets more bloated and keeps its usability almost the same. Takes a lot of patience to use the thing. It always has.

And lets not forget all the other nice things about Windows, like progress bars that jump to 98% in a second then sit there for an hour, or inexplicable redrawing of the desktop icons (which seems only to have been added to slow the PC down), and lets not forget the Windows registry - perhaps the most significant invention since the Gatling gun. (Which, by the way, despite XP's claims it can self-repair, is often the reason for most re-installs...)

This caveman prefers the FAR FAR superior OS technology behind QNX... :-) Now, if it only had the software...

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2003, 12:18:24 PM »
As mindboggling as it can be even M$ have gone forward. And much more than any Amiga during these years you have been playing Caveman  .. So it's no longer matter of installing it again each month (nor even rebooting it weekly) cause those are no needed anymore

You are right to an extent.  It's not nearly as bad as it use to be.  But Windows still has alot of issues.  I see them on  a daily basis.   And in some cases, it will require at least an overlay install to correct problems.  And if you are running a machine which goes for a week without rebooting, you must not be doing much directly with the system.  But if you are running 2k or XP you are more likely than with any other version to not have as many problems.

and lets not forget the Windows registry - perhaps the most significant invention since the Gatling gun. (Which, by the way, despite XP's claims it can self-repair, is often the reason for most re-installs...)

Yeah, those self repairs.  Or the "Restore Points" that fail to restore.  The registry is THE biggest problem left in Windows.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2003, 12:27:55 PM »
I have to admit I'm very much with WarPiper on this. Ever since Umilator was finally shelved I've been losing interest in Amiga use at an alarming rate. My A1200 and A4000, although well equipped, have sat unpowered by my desk for many months now. I only boot into Amithlon to play "Tales of Tamar" these days, and that's about it. I see no future of any interest whatsoever in current developments. To me the A1 and Pegasos are a rather sorry cross between an overpriced entry level PC and a crippled cut down Mac. Rather than be excited by them I have to admit they both bore me to tears. AmigaOS4 and to a lesser extent MorphOS would be of some interest to an OS junky like me, but not enough to go out and buy hardware I don't rate just so I can enjoy the priviledge. After all, if I haven't done that for MacOS X and a nice G4 Mac, I sure as hell am not likely to be doing it for an A1 or Pegasos and the much less supported AmigaOS or MorphOS.

It's sad, but for me and I suspect WarPiper this is really the end of an era. It's not a question of no longer hoping that Amigas will make a comeback, it's more like a certainty that they simply won't. Time to stop spending money on Amiga hardware and software and channel it elsewhere, where I can view it as an investment rather than a waste.

Not to mention that the higher eschalons (sp?)  of the Amiga community seem to have migrated from highly skilled and technically adept and respected individuals to ignorant, crass and dishonest egomaniacs. (That's a generalisation, I know, and unfair to some people).
Bill Hoggett

Offline commodore_jim

• Show only replies by commodore_jim
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2003, 12:40:27 PM »
@WarPiper

These are sentiments which I think most of us can echo. We're all fed up! I personally gave up on the Amiga as a serious alternative a while ago but I still use and enjoy using mine every day and you should too. I agree with you about the present situation though. The whole affair has degenerated into a farce and I think only the most fervent optimists (God bless 'em) could really think there's any chance of salvaging something from the sorry state which currently exists.

What's most galling about all of this is that the name Amiga is starting to induce howls of derisive laughter because of all the false starts and empty promises of a "resurrection". Ironically if the machine had been allowed to die with some dignity after Commodore's downfall instead of being picked apart by the vultures, its chances of a revival at some point and in some form would have been much better.

As for re-installing Windows every month, it's something I'm all too familiar with. Well, maybe not every month but far too often for my liking. (For those who think I may be a complete novice and reach for my Windows CD every time I get an illegal exception message, I can assure you that this is not the case). Let's face it folks, Windows has some nice features but overall, it's a bit of a mess.

Offline poweramiga2002

• Show only replies by poweramiga2002
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2003, 12:45:53 PM »
well when we are enjoying our a1,s i hope you all look back and realize that you bailed at the wrong time Amiga is and will be back bigger and better !!!!!!!!! :-D  :-P  :-)

Offline Acill

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2003, 01:02:21 PM »
I can see how you would want to bail out, but for me my A3000 is a fun hobby. I got it when it forst came out and have put so much time and cash into updating it over the years. I am luky and have a very nice PC as well as this A3000. Since I got my 060 and put the A3000 into a tower and got a mediator there hasnt been much I cant do on it tha tI do on the PC. I am even using the Amiga to write this post on a 1024X768 32 bit screen. Have faith and dont toss the Amiga out or sell it. I got rid of my A1000 way back and have regreted it ever since.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2003, 01:18:32 PM »
@ WarPiper,

Well, then give them or sell them to someone that will use them.   :-)
Michael

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2003, 01:25:58 PM »
Amiga is and will be back bigger and better !!!!!!!!!

Change the record, nearly 10 years we have heard the same thing and where is this amazing come back? Amiga computers will never be a hugh success like they was in the late 80s/early 90s,

One thing to remember is not everyone is a blind follower.