Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasos (MOS) Advantage over AmigaOne (OS4)  (Read 4193 times)

Description:

Offline AcillTopic starter

Pegasos (MOS) Advantage over AmigaOne (OS4)
« on: August 17, 2003, 08:46:47 AM »
Well I have been looking at the MOs/Pegasos system over the AmigaOne system a lot. I think the MOS solution has a huge advantage Over the new OS4 when/if it ever gets released. I still plan to wait since I dont have the cash and still have a kick ass classic system. Here are my thoughts:

1. MOS is out now, and is getting a lot of new developers on to it NOW.

2. The price for a FASTER and more capable Pegasos II is much better then the current A1 systems out, if you can even find one.

3. From what I have seen MOS just looks awsome! It started out PPC and has a lot of time in the real world getting bugs removed.

All in all if I had to choose today, I think I would go the MOS route. I have been an Amiga user since way back in 1989 when I got an A100, then an A3000 and still use that system today. How do you all feel about this? Do you think Amiga Inc is going to be hurt by the time between the two OS systems release dates?
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
Re: Pegasos (MOS) Advantage over AmigaOne (OS4)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 08:49:11 AM »
/me puts on the hardhat and heads off to the bomb shelter...

:-P

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 09:07:20 AM »
Personally I'll wait until both competitors are ready to be compared.  I'm in no hurry.

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 09:44:42 AM »
-Sigh-

Here we go again.

SlimJim

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 09:47:46 AM »
i agree with mike - how can you truley compare 2 systems without both of them being at their full capacity? The truth is in the tasting my friend... lets see some OS4! :-)
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline Pebbles

• Show only replies by Pebbles
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 09:48:19 AM »
"A3000D (Towered in Elbox Mirage)
Cyberstorm MK III 060 with 128MB RAM
Mediator 3000
Voodoo 3000 for RTG. (P96)
TrendNet 10/100 Ethernet card (MiamiDX)
Catweasel MK II Zorro II with sony HD drives"

I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!  :-D  (nice system!)

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 10:05:12 AM »

Acill wrote:
Well I have been looking at the MOs/Pegasos system over the AmigaOne system a lot. I think the MOS solution has a huge advantage Over the new OS4 when/if it ever gets released.

Thats your choice, what you think, as a consumer. But why broadcast it to the world?

1. MOS is out now, and is getting a lot of new developers on to it NOW.

Yes, a public beta MOS is out now, and is getting a lot of existing Amiga developers moving to it now. But there is no reason to suggest that in vast quantities they will be exclusive to one system or another.

Away from the cameras there are a large number of developers working on stuff for AOS4.

So in my view its six of one and half a dozen of another.

2. The price for a FASTER and more capable Pegasos II is much better then the current A1 systems out, if you can even find one.

Can you point a link out where you can buy a Pegasos 2?

3. From what I have seen MOS just looks awsome! It started out PPC and has a lot of time in the real world getting bugs removed.

Im sorry I fail to see any logical rationale in the above. Are you saying that AOS4 doesn't look awesome? Awesome is subjective, some people find Mazda MX-5s awesome, I don't.

Starting out PPC? What bits? When? Are you talking about Quark? I fail to see how such a claim ( which is an innaccurate generalisation at best ) can be considered an advantage without providing the logical crux of your argument.

AOS4 is spending a lot of time getting real world use and having bugs removed, over a year at least.

All in all if I had to choose today, I think I would go the MOS route.

Well bully. Next time I buy a new car Ill post my buying preferences on international networks ;-)

I have been an Amiga user since way back in 1989 when I got an A100, then an A3000 and still use that system today. How do you all feel about this? Do you think Amiga Inc is going to be hurt by the time between the two OS systems release dates?

Q1. I feel nothing about your Amiga using history.

Q2. No.

Hate figure. :lol:

Offline NeRP

• Show only replies by NeRP
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 10:41:17 AM »
How much you getting paid for that drivel?  It's the only logical explaination for embarrassing yourself like that.

Oh, and my A3000T is better too :)
OS4 Betatester

Offline Damion

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 11:03:38 AM »
-edited by myself-

Acill, I basically agree with your points.

I'm not interested in a "new Amiga" anymore;
the "clean" approach of Peg/MorphOS to the
basic AmigaOS concepts is a plus in my book.
I have my old boxes to run AmigaOS.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 11:15:56 AM »
Acill congratulation for you classic configuration!!    Very kick ass amiga!

You cannot compare OS4 to MorphOS til MorphOS isn't out. I'm in contact with a famouse MorphOS user and "she" said tha MorphOS (not the new 1.4) is too young operating system and it don't havo important function. MorphOs in all cases is a very nice OS, and Pegasos a very nice machine. But AMigaOne is also a state of the at motherboard, with no articia bug (pegasos 1 have the articia bug). Amiga One lite, the new model for the mass production will be ut soon and it will have ddr memory, fast fsb, firewire and other thing. If you want an amiga, i suggest you to wait. I'm pretty sure you'll like OS4. Instead if you want to "play" now, get a Pegasos, but remember MorphOS is a very nice OS but not AmigaOS.

Pegasos prices is low, and it is good, but try to find a Pegasos1 motherboard. they produce it in a very small quantity. If Pegasos 2 will have nice prices it wil be a god machine... but hey... You are speaking about Peg2 and sayng that OS4 isn't out.. bla blab lba.... Also Peg2 isnt out yet. reflect.

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 11:28:25 AM »
@-D-

I'm breathing normally ta ;-)

If he is going to start a brand new forum topic to broadcast to the world his thoughts and views and those thoughts and views are illogical or incorrect then he chose to make them public, therefore they are up for debate.

Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Damion

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2003, 11:46:47 AM »
Alright Dave, I edited my above post becasue
in retrospect it was perhaps a bit asenine.
Statements made public are indeed fair game and
I apologize. :)

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2003, 11:58:12 AM »
@ikir

You cannot compare OS4 to MorphOS til MorphOS isn't out.

ROTFL!!!

You're criticising MorphOS for "not being out"?  I suppose that AmigaOS4 is available for purchase and a thoroughly mature operating system, yes?

MorphOS is young, and according to the less biased reports I've heard from ordinary users it sounds somewhat less stable than I would expect from an operating system today, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that AmigaOS4 will be any better or worse in that respect until ordinary users get to use it and are free to comment on it.

Since that is not the case yet, the only significant difference we know about is that MorphOS is here and AmigaOS4 is not.
Bill Hoggett

Offline pVC

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2003, 12:28:14 PM »
I'm waiting until both systems are mature enough to be compared... But if I'd have that much extra money, I'd probably try get Pegasos now. My goal is to get both systems some day, but until then, I'm happy Classic user :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2003, 12:51:50 PM »

CodeSmith wrote:
/me puts on the hardhat and heads off to the bomb shelter...

Room in there for one more? :-D
int p; // A