Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can I link the IEEE1394 firewire ports to transfer from my Laptop to my PC?  (Read 1161 times)

Description:

Offline A4000_MadTopic starter

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
Hi Guys,

I've filled the 60GB HDD of my laptop with music videos and would like to transfer them to a PC that I have just aquired which has a 160GB HDD.

Can I just link their IEEE1394 firewire ports to drag them across, or will that cause something to blow?

Thanks

A4000 Mad

Offline MozzerFan

• Show only replies by MozzerFan
Yes, this can be done. Read this guide.

Regards,
Lloyd

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
It's easy in Windows XP, and I have done it a few times using the FAST Wizard to transfer profiles from one computer to another.

Connect the two using the appropriate cable (4-4, 6-4, 6-6, whatever.)  Go into your network properties and repair the 1394 network connection on both computers.  Each will attempt to renew the IP address then fail, assigning each one an autoconfigured IP address on the same subnet.

Now you have created a Firewire IP network between two Windows XP computers and can do all of the things (like shares) you can do on an Ethernet network.  Anything beyond the physical connection is an exercise for the reader.

Offline A4000_MadTopic starter

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
That's great thanks MozzerFan and LoadWB,

I'll link them up tomorrow :pint:
A4000 Mad

Offline StormLord

• Show only replies by StormLord
    • http://www.amimac.gr
If your laptop happens to be a mac, then you can connect them together and start the mac by keeping pressed the key "T" when pressing the power button.... this will get the mac in "Target Disk" mode and the other computer will recognize it as a hard drive.. no need for networking/sharing and all that....
on the pc side you have to install some short of software to be able to read HFS volumes, one of these are MacDrive