Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 Beta Test Team and Program  (Read 10747 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne X1000 Beta Test Team and Program
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »
*One hundred* boards (I read somewhere that it's actually half(!) of their planned initial production volume since they have ordered some 200+ CPU's) *sold* to consumers (but: "Note that you will NOT be considered an end-user if you are allowed into the betatest program"), with a hefty *750 EUR prepayment*(!! Do they never learn?), for a product still lacking the necessary onboard hardware drivers (OS4 USB drivers has been "almost working" for how many years now?).

If what they wanted would have been some help with beta testing, they could have provided a select few handfuls of competent "power users" with the product (by lending it to them, or giving it to them as a reward for their beta testing work), and the link to the bugzilla tracker, and they would be done! They probably already have a list of people they could have turned to since before.

This is nothing but a 75,000+ EUR fundraiser targeted to the broad public. They obviously need money (which is a bit troublesome in my eyes). So they sell their undeveloped thing by prepayment and the condition that you won't be treated as a consumer, you sign away your right to complain about the product, and they can sue you if you still do it in public. What a scheme...

(EDIT: I added a plus sign after the 200 number above, in order to prevent people from calling me a blatant liar. Of course my point still remains though; had they wanted aid in beta testing the thing, they could simply have provided boards to the usual beta testers. But this *enormous* volume, in combination that they are *selling* the boards, in combination with *pre-payment*, clearly suggests that this is something else than a beta tester program.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:12:57 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
Quote from: ssolie;561845
@amigadave

I did participate in the original Eyetech A1-XE program when it came out

That should have made you know better this time around IMO...

so I figure I'll look into this one as well.

...but obviously some people never learn. But hey, weren't you the guy who bought a "Troika Panda"? Ah, yes. Forget it then, I rest my case...

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
Quote from: Akiko;562040
See the trolls are hard at it!

Always interesting to see how some people (always the same people) gets upset, *not* with the fishy scheme laid out in front of them, but with the people pointing out the fishy details about it. "The trolls are hard at it", yeah right.

BOHICA! (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!) And you do just that. With a goofy smile on your face. "Maybe I won't get screwed *this* time?"

Boing! Boing!

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
Quote from: Salup;562066
You of course don't have any proof for a single word of that post. Can you for example point me in the direction of where they have said that 200 is their initial production run? No, didn't think so. But its not unexpected coming from you.

Their initial production run is probably *less* than 200 (it's more likely to be *100 tops*, at least if they actually get one hundred people to pre-pay, which I kind of doubt). Then it will probably be followed by another 2x50 or 100 some time after that. If the market for 1,500+ EUR obscure HW hasn't been saturated by then...

What they said was they have ordered 200 processors, and they are obviously not going to build motherboards without CPU's fitted since the board is designed around a highly integrated SoC CPU's. The direction? Well, try searching amigaworld.net, IIRC that's the place the number came from. I can't remember if it was Trevor Dick or Ben Hermans that provided the number. Probably Dick.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
@Varthall

The OS4 USB drivers has been working for years!

Not very good as far as I can understand by reading comments on aw.net, not on A1, and not on Sam. Frequent data corruption in mass storage devices, dropping connections, etc, etc, etc.

But anyway, what I meant was USB2 (the '2' digit got lost somehow): "The OS4 USB2 drivers has been 'almost working' for how many years now?"

@Salup

Eh, OK, I have now edited my post #11. Every single point I made in that post still remains though, but I hope that this small edit in the semantics makes you happy.