Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 Beta Test Team and Program  (Read 10639 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: AmigaOne X1000 Beta Test Team and Program
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
Quote from: Akiko;562040
See the trolls are hard at it!

Always interesting to see how some people (always the same people) gets upset, *not* with the fishy scheme laid out in front of them, but with the people pointing out the fishy details about it. "The trolls are hard at it", yeah right.

BOHICA! (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!) And you do just that. With a goofy smile on your face. "Maybe I won't get screwed *this* time?"

Boing! Boing!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »

Yeah, damn trolls only announcing a partial cost in a pre-pay scheme. The nerve!
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Salup

• Show only replies by Salup
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 03:47:49 PM »
You of course don't have any proof for a single word of that post. Can you for example point me in the direction of where they have said that 200 is their initial production run? No, didn't think so. But its not unexpected coming from you.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »

I'm not even going to offer up a response, since it's obvious your opinion is biased.

Don't ever refer to me as a "troll" again. :madashell:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
Not a deal I'd be willing to sign on for, that's for sure.  My time is worth money.  Are there 100 desperate souls out there?  We'll soon find out...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 01:23:53 AM »
Quote from: persia;562130
Not a deal I'd be willing to sign on for, that's for sure.  My time is worth money.  Are there 100 desperate souls out there?  We'll soon find out...

No, the question is, "Are there 100 desperate RICH souls out there?"  If the deposit is 750 Euros, one could wonder just how much the total will be at shipping of the product.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
Quote from: Salup;562066
You of course don't have any proof for a single word of that post. Can you for example point me in the direction of where they have said that 200 is their initial production run? No, didn't think so. But its not unexpected coming from you.

Their initial production run is probably *less* than 200 (it's more likely to be *100 tops*, at least if they actually get one hundred people to pre-pay, which I kind of doubt). Then it will probably be followed by another 2x50 or 100 some time after that. If the market for 1,500+ EUR obscure HW hasn't been saturated by then...

What they said was they have ordered 200 processors, and they are obviously not going to build motherboards without CPU's fitted since the board is designed around a highly integrated SoC CPU's. The direction? Well, try searching amigaworld.net, IIRC that's the place the number came from. I can't remember if it was Trevor Dick or Ben Hermans that provided the number. Probably Dick.

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;562010

Yeah, 750 euro "deposit" to test a sub-par OS on a motherboard, that is for all intents and purposes, an a) over priced motherboard based on specs that the *DEVELOPERS* wanted and b) not what the general public, ie the Amiga community, wanted.

I'm still waiting to get my 50$ back on a coupon for an OS I couldn't use, for a motherboard that I couldn't justify spending a ton of money on. When are you people gonna learn?

This is disappointing, but gets better and better.........

What should people learn? That *you* cannot justify spending money on it? Why should this change if I should be interested on it or not?

varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Varthall

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 05:46:30 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562012
*One hundred* boards (I read somewhere that it's actually half(!) of their planned initial production volume since they have ordered 200 CPU's) *sold* to consumers (but: "Note that you will NOT be considered an end-user if you are allowed into the betatest program"), with a hefty *750 EUR prepayment*(!! Do they never learn?), for a product still lacking the necessary onboard hardware drivers (OS4 USB drivers has been "almost working" for how many years now?).

The OS4 USB drivers has been working for years!

If what they wanted would have been some help with beta testing, they could have provided a select few handfuls of competent "power users" with the product (by lending it to them, or giving it to them as a reward for their beta testing work), and the link to the bugzilla tracker, and they would be done! They probably already have a list of people they could have turned to since before.

And those people will be the one who will probably respond to the announce.

This is nothing but a 75,000+ EUR fundraiser targeted to the broad public. They obviously need money (which is a bit troublesome in my eyes). So they sell their undeveloped thing by prepayment and the condition that you won't be treated as a consumer, you sign away your right to complain about the product, and they can sue you if you still do it in public. What a scheme...

And you have the possibility to get a machine *now*, help the development of OS4 and get the latest OS4 features before the other normal users do.

Varthall

Offline Varthall

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562209
Their initial production run is probably *less* than 200 (it's more likely to be *100 tops*, at least if they actually get one hundred people to pre-pay, which I kind of doubt). Then it will probably be followed by another 2x50 or 100 some time after that. If the market for 1,500+ EUR obscure HW hasn't been saturated by then...

What they said was they have ordered 200 processors, and they are obviously not going to build motherboards without CPU's fitted since the board is designed around a highly integrated SoC CPU's. The direction? Well, try searching amigaworld.net, IIRC that's the place the number came from. I can't remember if it was Trevor Dick or Ben Hermans that provided the number. Probably Dick.

I also can't find on amigaworld.net the statement you have mentioned...

Varthall

Offline Salup

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 01:50:24 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562209

They have never said that, in fact they have only said that they have ordered MORE THAN 200 processors, without giving a specific number. So, you don't recall correctly, instead you are making things up.

Edit: I didn't want you to still believe your lies so I decided to actually find the source for the statement about the number of processors.

"Hmmm! I was going to ignore your post but I thought I make one last attempt to put your mind at ease.

1. We already have a motherboard with chosen CPU. Orders are already in place for a significant quantities of the CPU. (far in excess of 200)"

From http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=30844&forum=33&start=180&viewmode=flat&order=0#541249
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:07:12 AM by Salup »

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
@Varthall

The OS4 USB drivers has been working for years!

Not very good as far as I can understand by reading comments on aw.net, not on A1, and not on Sam. Frequent data corruption in mass storage devices, dropping connections, etc, etc, etc.

But anyway, what I meant was USB2 (the '2' digit got lost somehow): "The OS4 USB2 drivers has been 'almost working' for how many years now?"

@Salup

Eh, OK, I have now edited my post #11. Every single point I made in that post still remains though, but I hope that this small edit in the semantics makes you happy.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 09:05:55 PM »
This keeps getting better all the time! I can't wait for the pre-order "scheme".

Offline Salup

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 04:37:41 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562392
@Varthall

Eh, OK, I have now edited my post #11. Every single point I made in that post still remains though, but I hope that this small edit in the semantics makes you happy.

You haven't changed anything significant. 200 is just a random number proposed by some random user at amigaworld.net. 200 is not a number ever mentioned by A-Eon except for saying that it is significantly lower than the actual number of CPUs they have ordered. Thus, your post is still not based on any real facts.

You also don't have any factual support for your statement that the 750 euro deposits is just a way for A-Eon to raise money. There is no way for you of knowing that they don't have enough money for a production run. In fact, I think it seems highly unlikely that the people involved would start a project like this without enough available resources.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 05:02:01 AM »
On the other hand a few quid wouldn't hurt in these days of the collapsing Euro...

A pre-paid beta test sucks, big time..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Salup

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 02, 2010, 05:21:13 AM »
I would never go for it, but that is just because I am a bit to fond of my money. However, that does not mean that I pretend to know that A-Eon need this money to finance their first production run.