Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SAM 460 poor performance, high price  (Read 29874 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: SAM 460 poor performance, high price
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 27, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »
Well at $1025 US dollars with AOS4 bit w/o shipping it is a bit rich for my tastes. The on board video is nice for basic tasks that don't require 3D.

My next purchases are still going to be a Powerbook and a G5 Powermac.

I can probably outfit both of those for the price of the SAM469EX board.
Still, I object to the SAM460EX as being called slow, its just way overpriced.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 03:36:42 AM »
Quote from: runequester;610006
The equipment that both MOS and OS4 runs on are pretty outdated by now.

Is the bickering really worth it anymore? :(

My crappy 300 dollar off the shelf PC has more horse power than any hardware either OS will ever run on, and I didn't have to shell out money for a proprietary OS on top of it.
Throw AROS on there (free to use, free to share), and while it won't exploit all the hardware at the moment, at least it has a future.

Bonus points that if I wanted to run AROS, I can actually go into a store and buy a cheapie PC to run it on.

Yes, but I didn't spend $300 on my system. And AROS has not reached the stability of MorphOS. Isn't it curious that everyone wants to port Fab's MorphOS version of OWB.

Face it, we've got thew most reliable NG OS and the best hardware prices.
Anyone who tries it comes away impressed. Why don't you give it a shot?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;610018
Out of interest, how much would non-OS4 user's be happy to pay for the 460 so that they could give OS4 a try? Personally, I'd consider anything over 300 EUR a high price, all things considered.

I'm actually very surprised that ACube have even released a new MB, maybe they really do sell most of them to Industry? Then again I was also very surprised about the X1000 announcement and quite a few other things that go on around here ;)

I'm impressed with both of them. If I could get the SAM460EX without AOS4.1 I'd consider it.
But right now my focus is expanding the MorphOS coder base. Since the SAM460EX has to be purchased with AOS4.1, its not a porting candidate.

Thats odd since Treavor sent an X1000 board to the MorphOS development team a long time ago.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: My PPC is better than your PPC
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 04:59:24 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;610030
I have a broken bppc 175mhz 603e/25 mhz '040 card.... not only the crappiest bppc available for amiga but also dead. Do I win ? :)

Can you code? Read my post.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:04:21 AM by Iggy »

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 03:13:33 AM »
I am amazed that this discussion still rages on. The SAM460EX comes with AmigaOS 4.1 (you have to buy it that way) and will probably never run MorphOS.
And the G4 Macs and the 460EX are, at similar clock speeds, virtually on par with each other in terms of performance.
Why is there such unnecessary friction betwen these two camps?
Acube won't even sell this board without AOS4 unless you are one of their 'industrial partners.

Why can't we just leave this one alone?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »
Quote from: DAX;611205
@jorkany
I wouldn't say Amiga was only good because it smoked anything out there, sometime a good combination of factors   might end up delivering a better (or rather "preferred") experience.

As a matter of fact the original Amiga never smoked other computers in terms of pure CPU power (heck on that regard even the AtariST was slightly superior) only did great at handling raster graphics, BUT more or less simultaneously with the A500 release, Sharp delivered the X68000 in Japan which as far as raster graphics went, could say a thing or two let me tell you (res up to 1024x1024, 31Khz ScreenModes, up to 65000colors and much more) lucky Commodore as they never released it outside Japan.

What I find truly unique is the Multitasking OS and the great software it inspired.

But alas those days are gone, and although we can no longer claim to be at the forefront, we can still operate a new computer the way we prefer and love, and contrary to our Japanese friends (X68000 users) we can still look forward to several "happenings" (460EX+X1000+AOS4.X, MOS and new supported HW, AROS, Natami, etc.) which is something special in its own right...

Absolutely! We have a lot going on, and some great suff to look forward to for a system so many of our own posters keep referring to as 'dead'.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 03:33:04 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;611225
@ takemehomegrandma

..I think you need a calming visit to see grandma;)

boy I feel sorry for you & Piru when the X1000 arrives..better get your blood pressure medication ready:eek:

Personally, I think when (if) the X1000 goes on sale, there will be 2.7 Ghz G5 Macs slapping its over priced butt silly.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Colani1200;611868
I think both solutions have their advantages & disadvantages. In my experience, the greatest disadvantage of the MorphOS/Trance approach is that many old Amiga applications simply aren't "system friendly enough" to work properly/work at all.

But we're getting quite off topic...

Personally, I'm willing to live with that 'disadvantage'.
Old applications are not a major attraction to me. Being OS and processor compatible is useful to me.

If I was that focused on register level compatibility I'd be using a legacy system