Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Any Scotish Amiga users?  (Read 4813 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Amiduffer

Any Scotish Amiga users?
« on: September 21, 2006, 01:26:01 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if there are any Amiga users from Scotland, who could help me with an animation project.

I'm in need of an authentic Scotch voice to be recorded in an IFF sound file and emailed to me. Are there any of you who have the capability? Extra points if you have a bass  voice.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.
 

Offline evilrich

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 06:05:52 AM »
Quote
I'm in need of an authentic Scotch voice to be recorded in an IFF sound file and emailed to me. Are there any of you who have the capability? Extra points if you have a bass voice.

Eek! The only things that the adjective "Scotch" can be applied to are eggs and tape, or if, you're a sassenach, whisky. You probably want to ask for "Scots" or "Scottish". ;-)

I do have a Scottish accent, although I'm not sure how authentic it is.

Cheers,
Rich
 

Offline Amiduffer

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 06:56:10 AM »
Pardon my lack of knowledge of the proper way of saying the word. I had to pause and debate, "do you say it this way or that way?" :-?

So, do you have a way of sampling your voice in IFF? Can you email me a short sample? I'm at

americansystem@excite.com

My animation will be a space opera dealing with rescuing a ship that's in danger of falling out of orbit.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.
 

Offline cecilia

  • Amiga Snob
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 4875
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »
Do you want one of the hard and heady Glasgow accents?

or the lighter Highland accent?

the more "cosmopolitan" Edinburgh accent?

etc.....
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial
 

Offline Vincent

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 02:11:21 PM »
... or the utterly indecipherable broad Dundonian?

:-D

I would offer my dulcet tones, but I don't have a mike.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel
 

Offline Wilse

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 05:55:27 PM »
Thick, Glaswegian accent here.

PM me what you want said and I'll record it and email it to you.

I'm curious as to the reason you need a Scottish accent in particular.

Offline Amiduffer

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:02:54 PM »
Quote

PM me what you want said and I'll record it and email it to you.

I'm curious as to the reason you need a Scottish accent in particular.


Thank you.

Because the character in the story I'm animating is from Scotland! Although, this will take place far out on the Galactic rim.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.
 

Offline cecilia

  • Amiga Snob
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 4875
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 06:09:03 PM »
Quote

Wilse wrote:
I'm curious as to the reason you need a Scottish accent in particular.
because it's sexy??? :angel:  :devildance:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial
 

Offline motorollin

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 07:16:06 PM »
Quote
cecilia wrote:
Quote
Wilse wrote:
I'm curious as to the reason you need a Scottish accent in particular.
because it's sexy??? :angel:  :devildance:

Agreed - I LOVE a scottish accent :love:

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10
 

Offline Wilse

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 12:53:57 AM »
Quote

cecilia wrote:
Quote

Wilse wrote:
I'm curious as to the reason you need a Scottish accent in particular.
because it's sexy??? :angel:  :devildance:


Aherm. I very much doubt you'd maintain that position were you ever to have the misfortune of trying to understand me.
When I was in Paris the other month, a mate and I had our only extensive blether with a native. She overheard our West of Scotland accents and asked us which language we were speaking - in English! So we all had a laugh and got drunk on ridiculously over-priced lager.

:pint:

Offline blobrana

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »
Hum,
i have a Pictish accent.

But i would suggest you look for someone from Edinburgh if you want them to be understandable...

(At a snip, you could use a Canadian like "Montgomery `Scotty` Scott)

Offline Amiduffer

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »
Hi Blobrana. If you want to "try out", email me at americansystem@excite.com a sample of you saying "because you're so good at it laddie".

Robert has a cool voice which I think will work super for my animation.

Robert, the project is on hold while my A3000 is in parts though. I can't scan the story either.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.
 

Offline Hyperspeed

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 12:09:38 AM »
Hey, weren't Picts the original inhabitants of the British Isles before/alongside the Celts?

You do have a peculiar pixie-like appearance blobrana... maybe you're a Hobit!

:-)
 

Offline cecilia

  • Amiga Snob
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 4875
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 12:48:04 AM »
Is it Scotland or Pictland? The historians join battle
IAN JOHNSTON AND RAYMOND HAINEY

THEY were supposed to have disappeared after being vanquished by the Scots in battle.

But the Picts may actually have been the "winners" of their encounter with the Scots, suggesting that the name of this country is a misnomer.


According to the traditional history, Kenneth MacAlpin, king of Scots, took over the kingdom of the Picts in 843 to form the country that grew into modern day Scotland.

But a new interpretation of ancient texts suggests that in fact the Scots kingdom of Dalriada was absorbed by a more powerful Pictish state.

This completes an about-turn in understanding of how Scotland - perhaps more accurately "Pictland" - first emerged.

Historians now believe Kenneth was a Pict and that a claim he led the Scots to victory over the Picts in a battle at Stirling in 843 is a much later fabrication.


In addition to historical evidence, recent work by geneticists suggests that about half the present day Scottish population is descended from the Picts, double the number whose ancestry can be traced back to the early Scots.

Dr Dauvit Broun, a Glasgow University historian, said: "According to the standard narrative, Kenneth I, king of the 'Scots', succeeded in taking over Pictland because the Picts had been weakened at the hands of the Vikings - suffering a notable defeat in 839 - and/or because the 'Scots' had been pushed out of Argyll.

"The significance of Kenneth's achievement in creating Scotland was, and is, institutionalised in the custom of numbering kings as if he was the first."

However, Dr Broun said that "key elements" of this story were now being challenged. "There has been a deepening unease about the very idea that Kenneth founded Scotland," he said.

"It has been suggested that Kenneth was a Pict and, more confidently, that Alba was not created in the mid-ninth century as a 'union of Scots and Picts', but was simply a Gaelic word for 'Pictland.'"

The traditional version of history is undermined by contemporary sources which make no mention of the dramatic news that Kenneth, King of Scots, has taken over Pictland in 843.

"The key point is everything that has a claim to offer a contemporary perspective presents Alba as Pictland," Dr Broun said.
 
Dr James Fraser, an expert in early Scottish history at Edinburgh University, said that early Scots historians relied on "literature-driven" sources and did not have the scientific resources available today.
What did the Picts do for us?

* The Picts were named by the Romans - Picti, after the habit of northern tribes of painting their bodies blue.

* Mel Gibson's smash hit movie Braveheart played fast and loose with history. Gibson's William Wallace painted his face blue before battle as Picts did, but Scots of Wallace's era most definitely did not.

* Some believe that the Scots tradition of "the little people" stems from the Picts. The legends could stem from glimpses of the remnants of the race, who were smaller than the invading Irish Scots.

* Scotland's Gaelic name - Alba - might be a last fragment of the Pictish language and what the mystery tribe called what is now Scotland.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial
 

Offline Hyperspeed

Re: Any Scotish Amiga users?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 01:17:34 AM »
Interestingly too is that a recent scientific study suggested that a large proportion of the Welsh have strong genetic link to the Basque region of Spain.

Also, there is evidence that a few dominant tribes in Wales were of Anglo-Saxxon origin, moving along the south from Sussex (ultimately Germanic).

The really Welsh territory is in the West and North where Owain Glyndwr retreated in the 15th century from the ba$tard English.

:-D

Here is a famous and moving Welsh legend - Bedd Gelert

EDIT:
I've been to Beddgelert and it has a strange, time-warp like atmosphere. You ramble along this old gravelly path, across a bridge over a little river, through a tree-lined path down a meadow and into a field with an unspectacular looking rock in. It's quite surreal to wonder if this legend is true - a bit like The Sword in the Stone.

An interesting use of the 'Olde Worlde' accents would be the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The fat axe-wielding elf has the Scottish accent, the talking tree a Welsh accent, Sam has an Irish accent - if I remember correctly there were Devon and Cornish accents in there too.

Right, I'm logging off. The thought of blobrana's warrior ancestors in blue body paint is driving me to distraction!