Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Disk salvage  (Read 3316 times)

Description:

Disk salvage
« on: November 11, 2002, 08:15:03 AM »
Last evening I run transADF by typing: "transadf dh0: blabla.adz write" and corrupted my first hard disk partition. I ment to run transadf on df0: but it was late and I was sleepy and a mistake happend - a critical one (dh0: has a checksum error on disk block 529137).

So today I'll run DiskSalv, but it will be my first run. I need all advice I can get - I really don't want to lose my data on dh0: and all the time I spent on installing software and games on disk.

So please, any help is welcome.

:cry:  :cry:

Offline Damion

Re: Disk salvage
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 08:28:10 AM »
 I fell your pain! The same thing happened on my games partition as well.

I used Disksalv, and it completely restored my partition. It just has to find and erase/repair the error so that the info on the RDB jives with whats actually on the partition, I think.

Disksalv won't alter anything on your partition aside from the offending block(s).

Shouldn't be a problem, it takes a while, but it worked great for me.

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 08:28:32 AM »
;-) A couple of things to watch for with DiskSalv:  It drives the hardware directly, and uses 32 bit addressing, and thus will not work beyond the "4 Gig barrier."  Also, when the operation appears to be finished, you need to click the button to select another device, instead of the one to exit the program.  This is a known bug, but the program hasn't seen updates in years, IIRC.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 08:55:50 AM »
The partition's size is 500MB and I have another partition (same size) dh1: which is supposed to be backup partition. I have stored "*.adz" files there because I don't have enough disks to have 2 copies of everything on them. I also have some other data backups on dh1: but so far I haven't made 2'nd copy of my installation (which I plan to do soon).

I have DiskSalv v2 which offers "Recover-by-Copy"   and "Fix-in-Place". In first option I could run "DiskSalv FROM DH0: TO DH1:" but will this make copy of files on dh0: or copy of entire partition? I don't want to lose second partition as well. Or should I just run program by clicking icon and use DiskSalv's graphic interface?

Offline Damion

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 09:26:31 AM »
 I also used DiskSalv 2. I used the GUI, it works great.

I think I used the Repair or fix in Place option from the GUI. It's just going to verify the info with the RDB, and then delete or repair whatever doesn't correlate, so it shoudn't -f- anything else up. If you watch it, it will also show you what doesn't jive and what it's deleting.

It leaves all your other info completely intact; it's a great program!

If you need any more help, I can check on my miggy and refresh my memory on exactly what I did, so just let me know!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 10:05:09 AM »
Thanks -D-. I'll try GUI - "repair" option when I'll get home. I'll tell you about the results this time tomorrow. Right now I'm checking out "DiskSalv.doc" file. Maybe I get some more clues.

Also thanks to you Quixote, you've helped me a lot before. I've remembered it.

Offline Damion

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 10:40:26 AM »
Good luck! :-D

Offline Thomas

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2002, 11:35:31 AM »
You should use repair-in-place only if you do not need the files on that partition any more. Repair-in-place always tries to leave a useable partition afterwards. In order to achieve this goal it will delete everything it cannot handle. Once deleted it cannot be brought back.

I suggest to leave the damaged partition unchanged and do a copy recovery at first. This way you have several attempts, can try several programs and can even ask for further assistance until you are satisfied with the result. Once all important files are rescued you can still try the repair.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 11:53:25 AM »
I'll try "Recover-by-Copy" first and then if everything is o.k. I'll go for "Fix-in-Place". There is just one doubthing question left - "The Custom Window". Do I have to define "Device Name" or should I not use this at all?

When I tried to use any HDToolBox to partition and format HD no version worked because of my SCSI controler (evolution.device). Hope I don't have same problems here.

The Custom Window is a fork off the main DiskSalv Input Window that is used for dealing with special device cases. An unknown disk, a disk with lost partitioning information, or other such problems can  be solved here. <- I hope this is not needed in my case.

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 12:51:59 PM »
baro2000 wrote:

...Also thanks to you Quixote, you've helped me a lot before. I've remembered it.

8-) Aw, man!  You're making me blush!

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2002, 08:32:06 AM »
I'm stuck. Had no time to repair disk yesterday and I'm 2 days out of bussines. No Amiga?!? Got some konferences to visit.