Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
General chat about Amiga topics / A600 + Furia + 3.9 = Crash
« Last post by Hiddenevil on April 19, 2024, 10:36:41 AM »
Hi everyone

First some details
Sandisk 4GB Compact Flash, prepped using WB 3.1 HDtoolbox, FFS.

I removed the prepped CF and inserted it in to my PC, using WinUAE to install 3.9. I don't have access to an optical drive right now for the 600. All went great, the OS booted great. Finished by installed Boing pack 2. Now back to the 600, it refuses to boot. It seems to be running through the startup, hitting a command and crashing, then trying to reboot again. No errors on screen, the monitor consistently displays a black screen. I'm think perhaps the rom patch? But I'm not sure how to disabled it.
shouldn't the vblank frequency be 60Hz for NTSC? Yours runs at half speed.
Yep, exactly half reported by ATK.  With the unmodified accelerator at 14MHz it reports a reasonable 59.83Hz.  Interestingly SysInfo measures the correct 60 unlike ATK, presumably using a different timer.  At 21MHz ATK measures some even crazier number like 39Hz.  So the faster it goes the lower vblank frequency it measures.

Because the timers are running too fast, the measued frequency is too low.
That is my understanding.

Something I hadn't tested up until this point, I had KS 1.3 ROM in there this whole time, because 500 rev.5 has the oopsie mistake on the board, I finally installed and wired up correctly the KS 3.1 ROM, and unlike 1.3 this one does not boot from the Gotek floppy at either 21 and 28MHz...  So that's a newly discovered problem #2, though very high likelihood it is related to the same interrupt/timer problem.  Obviously I will need to revert to KS 1.3 ROM to run ATK for further testing until these interrupt timers are ironed out.

I feel like I'm so close...  Just wish I knew what rogue signal causes the speedup.
Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion / Re: CyberstormPPC max temperature
« Last post by teslamaitre on April 19, 2024, 08:32:59 AM »
Yes, the problem is not the CPU, it's the temperature of the board which can cause the desoldering of the CPU.
General chat about Amiga topics / Re: PiSTORM in general
« Last post by AndyFC on April 19, 2024, 08:10:33 AM »
@F0LLETT I get the impression that many PiStorm users get their info direct from other sources like the PiStorm Facebook Group, Discord, Patreon etc where Claude and Michael are really active. Granted that doesn't cover everyone so it just needs a few people to think about sharing the news they see more widely, like you have.

I've downloaded the WHDLoad wrapper but not installed it yet - I want to do a backup first. It looks very straightforward and the Database is simple, a text file of games with arguments afterwards, so it's another tool for us to tinker with :-) Version 0.09 can be downloaded from: http://tinyurl.com/bdhuz3ts (link copied from Discord).

Some more PiStorm news is that Michael has released a working alpha version of the WiFi driver with a BIG caveat...there's NO WIRELESS SECURITY so anyone using it should take various precautions to protect their network before testing it e.g. use a mobile wireless hotspot, or set up a temporary guest network.

I'm very happy with my PiStorm which I've had installed for exactly a year (bought from Amigakit). The thing I especially like is that it allows me to play games like AB3D2 (check out the new version by Karlos, running at about 50 FPS) and an updated version of TFX (running at up to 70 FPS) which were really pushing our Amigas when originally released, to the point where they were unplayable for a majority of owners without emulation.

Karlos TKG: https://github.com/0xABADCAFE/karlos-tkg/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

I am not a hardware guy and cannot help much. I just wonder, shouldn't the vblank frequency be 60Hz for NTSC? Yours runs at half speed. As all the following tests depend on the number of vblanks it would explain why your numbers are so far off. As the vblank runs at half speed, these 100 vblanks will last twice as long as expected and therefore the number of ticks per 100 vblanks is almost twice as high as expected, just because it counts twice as long. So IMHO your CIA timers might be ok, your problem is the vblank.

OTOH it is not clear how it measures the vblank frequency. If it uses CIA timers for that, the problem could be the other way round. Because the timers are running too fast, the measued frequency is too low.

I re-read Dennis's project notes and found that this statement may have been a clue.
AS is now delayed before being fed to the motherboard fixing issues when the CPU does a chipset cycle after a CIA cycle.

I put a variable 0-60ns delay line on /AS output of the U5 JK flip flop and found no value that made a difference with respect to the interrupt counts.  No success here, at least the way I did it.

Earlier I also came across the following resource:
https://sites.google.com/one-n.co.uk/amiga-guides/amiga-interrupt-signals

And noted that the pullups on the interrupt lines became stronger on newer revision Amigas, from 10Kohm on earlier models to 1Kohm on newer.  I did try adding 1Kohm resistors from 5V VCC to /INT2, /INT3, and /INT6 lines, but that made no difference in my case.

Ideas?
« Last post by F0LLETT on April 18, 2024, 08:37:21 PM »
A lot of work went into the database for whdload wrapper, people in the Pistorm community testing and tweaking every reported trouble with games.

The WHDL wrapper works not exclusivly on Pistorm-ed machines btw.

Also for Vampires and 060-equipped Amigas it can be helpful.

The options regarding Pistorm ofc are irrelevant for others.

Dont forget winuae. Sure I saw that mentioned.
« Last post by TribbleSmasher on April 18, 2024, 06:50:06 PM »
A lot of work went into the database for whdload wrapper, people in the Pistorm community testing and tweaking every reported trouble with games.

The WHDL wrapper works not exclusivly on Pistorm-ed machines btw.

Also for Vampires and 060-equipped Amigas it can be helpful.

The options regarding Pistorm ofc are irrelevant for others.
« Last post by Boing-ball on April 18, 2024, 05:07:49 PM »
I see not much is posted in relation to discussing the PiSTORM.

I didn't know until the other day, someone created a tweaked version of WHDLoad.
Its basically a wrapper, that alters Emu68 command line options on the fly. It checks its database for game your attempting to run, then alters PiSTORM config to allow that game to runs without glitches.

Have to say, this is final piece of puzzle for my new setup, I have been working on.
So, if anyone uses WHDLoad with PiSTORM, check out WHDLoad Wrapper.

Not for me yet. I and FitzSteve run PiStorm’s with Mediators. Will have a play when I get around finishing off my A4K Desktop replacement case build. But so far EMU68 build 11/07/23 is the only build I can get working without issues at the moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10