Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why do people believe the advertising?  (Read 9289 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Why do people believe the advertising?
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Microsoft have done their marketing very well.   Bag the old OS and pump the new.
There is bugga all difference in speed in "real terms" between XP SP3, Vista SP2 and Win 7.
In my mind there is bugga all OS difference between Vista and 7.
In 7's advertising they continue to mention features that are came out in Vista.
I saw a review of the new resource monitor capabilities of Windows 7 on a technology review site. All the features it pushed were available on Vista.

Actually I heard a rumour that sometimes Windows 7's accellerator can get stuck and it's brakes can feel kind of "funny". I think Micro$oft better apologise and do a recall.  LOL.

Gertsy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:55:06 PM by gertsy »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »
Here's an OS Advertising challenge.  Name a feature presented in the Window 7 Y-Gen adverts that wasn't already in Vista...!

1. Wireless Networking made easy: Select device type in passphrase (how can you make that easier?). Ohh same in Vista and 7.
2. Make it easier to handle my photos (WTF?)
3. List my folders the way I want them: (Hello !)
I've only remember 3 of them and all 3 of the features mentioned are available in Vista as settings you can enable or a view you can set. List folder and remember is available in 2000 and XP just by changing you folder list options and saving your folder setting. Just no pretty thumbnails.

The adverts should be: "It was my idea (no really) and now I remember where I saw it!"
Or maybe the "Perhaps we should have a look to see if I can do that rather than having someone tell me everything." adverts.
No no, it should be the "Yes it was your idea, and now you have to pay for it...!" Advert.

Ohh I see your writing a letter, grumpy old man !.....Let me stick a paper clip in the bloody way...

Resistance is Futile!  You will be assimilated!

Gertsy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:17:19 AM by gertsy »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Quote from: Arkhan;550127
lets not forget, when Internetworks 1994 was out, you were about 3, and have no general knowledge of its impact on the world back then.

it was only recently (this decade or so)  that the real-good browsers started having tabs and doing good with it...  some of the early tabbed stuff was pretty goony.   I think Chrome's doin the best with tabs so far.  nice and fast

BTW: Can someone explain to me the difference in functionality between a browser Tab and "Right click" "Open in new window"?  
Neither makes any difference in memory or speed that I can see.  
Tabs up the top of the screen or windows down the bottom. I know what I'm used to when I run multiple programs. Why is the browser different ?
How do you tile tabs horizontally or vertically on a super wide screen.  You cant!.  Big X to that nice piece of functionality.  But its new and cool. Hey what a good idea.

Geeze I'm grumpy today!  Sorry I have an aching ankle and the drugs have gone right to my head.

Gertsy.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
Quote from: zombi;550137
Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.11 was different. Windows 3.11 was using different kernel (NT kernel). And totaly incompatible with MSDOS and Windows 3.0

NT product family is like this:
-NT 3.1 (Was simply called Windows NT)
-NT 3.5
-NT 3.51
-NT 4.0
-NT 5.0 (Windows 2000)
-NT 5.1 (Windows XP)
-NT 5.2 (64-bit XP)
-NT 6.0 (Windows Vista)
-NT 6.1 (Windows 7)

Original Windows Series (running on MSDOS) is like this
-Windows 1.0
-Windows 2.0
-Windows 2.1x
-Windows 3.0
-Windows 3.11 (Win for workgroups)
-Windows 95
-Windows 98
-Windows ME

Nup. But close. Ive fixed it up for you above.
Windows 1 - Windows ME Including 3.11 were all on DOS. With 16 and 32bit code.  You are confusing Windows NT 3.1 of which the LANMAN components were used to create Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Called such to stop confusion with NT 3.1.  The PC/User versions of 3.5-4.0 were called Workstation and then Professional for 2000 and XP (Though the server was dropped here)

Sadly I was there...For all of 'em....

Gertsy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:43:29 AM by gertsy »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »
@Arkhan. Understand your opinion but will still point out that quite often in IT we re-invent things to make life easy without understanding the commonly used feature set. I see it happening in new generation development all the time.
BTW: Has anyone tested how much memory one instance of chrome with 5 open sites uses compared to 5 instances of chrome with the same sites&pages open.  Which configuration can windows VM/paging handle best..?

I'd test it but I don't use Tabs or chrome.  (o:

Gertsy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:46:16 AM by gertsy »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
7 is an odd number and a prime number..
7 Is the number of deadly sins
7 of 9 Is a nice looking Borg
7 Is one more than 6 and one less than 8.
7*7 = 49
The square root of 823543 is ...

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;551683
:) perhaps not.

But I found going from WinXP to Win7 like starting on a new operating system... My 5 years of experience with Windows counted for nothing... I wasn't prepared to waste my time learning it :(

Spot on bloodline.  
And the number of features removed (like Classic Start Menu) smacks of "No you'll use the OS the way we think you should.."  Who said "Our lessons of the past make for a better future." ?
IMO: If they want to be evoluntionary then it would make sense,, but they are not evolutionary, just making new something that was done differently before?  Like a jaded FM radio station.

Rant gloves on:
When people compare OS speeds for new OS'es they tend to forget to clean install the older OS under comparison.  Do a clean install of XP to SP3 or Vista to SP2 and compare them in speed on the same hardware to Windows 7.  You will see differences around 3-5%.  3-5% after 10 years you're kidding me.. Don't listen to the hype. If you don't believe me do it youself. Most results are slow enough for a human to compare with a stop watch.. (o:

Hmmm, surely a "totally re-written kernal" would result in faster speeds...Yes I saw someone quote this little chestnut... Well yes it certainly would, in a sensible world..!  
Does that mean the "Kernal" actually hasn't been re-written...Well yes it does, and it hasn't been re-written..!  
So if that's the case on that point how can I tell the difference between what is hype and what is real ?

You can't. So default to hype and you will be right more often than not.

What I object to is that they automatically treat me like an inferior.  

Rant gloves off. Soap box back in corner.

Sorry don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Windows 7 isn't a good OS.  It is.  But I wish it was marketed for what it is.  there's no need to make up stories about it.

Cup'a'tea time.

Gertsy
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:14:27 PM by gertsy »