Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Source Sucess  (Read 3868 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Open Source Sucess
« on: May 24, 2021, 05:35:21 PM »
I think this is an interesting link.
https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/linux-statistics/#gref

Open Source software does not seem to have the success we wish it could have.
Windders is still in the lead.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 05:36:32 PM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
Re: Open Source Sucess
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 11:40:28 PM »
Awesome read, thanks for sharing.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 01:20:35 PM »
What Linux really needs is a huge advertising and a software package like Adobe CC. They really need to educate people what you can do, I still run into people thinking they need windows because they need Microsoft Office or Apple Mac because of video / photo editing.

Open Office / Libre Office / Google Office suit kind of really proves you dont need MS Office any more and really easy to recommend.

However the Photoshop Vs Gimp I feel is harder to show off / recommend.

Video editing its even harder, there of course solutions on Linux, (Kdenlive, Blender etc ) but as a media suit like Adobe Creative Cloud or Apple Final Cut Pro, it become harder to recommend Linux. This I feel is the biggest gap they need to fill.

Gaming, you could argue is another area, but Vlukan support and Wine improvements have really made playing windows games on linux a lot easier, plus streaming games I feel is only a few years away, I know google stadia and Xbox stream pass is struggling to get going, I think the ping speed / Broadband tech need to get a little better to get there, but it getting closer. so again that gap filled, it just about educating people out there what you can do with linux and like I said fill in the gap of making a media suit of programs.

Offline pwyskowski

• Show only replies by pwyskowski
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
OpenShot is a pretty good video editor for Linux.

https://www.openshot.org/

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 08:34:05 PM »
Fuchsia is also an open-source operating system that stands positioned to eat Linux's lunch.  It comes with a backward-compatibility layer for its Zircon kernel to run Linux binaries.  None of Fuchsia is GPL licensed.  I think Linux kernel usage will trail off soon.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 10:05:23 PM »
What Linux really needs is a huge advertising and a software package like Adobe CC. They really need to educate people what you can do, I still run into people thinking they need windows because they need Microsoft Office or Apple Mac because of video / photo editing.

Open Office / Libre Office / Google Office suit kind of really proves you dont need MS Office any more and really easy to recommend.

However the Photoshop Vs Gimp I feel is harder to show off / recommend.

Video editing its even harder, there of course solutions on Linux, (Kdenlive, Blender etc ) but as a media suit like Adobe Creative Cloud or Apple Final Cut Pro, it become harder to recommend Linux. This I feel is the biggest gap they need to fill.

Gaming, you could argue is another area, but Vlukan support and Wine improvements have really made playing windows games on linux a lot easier, plus streaming games I feel is only a few years away, I know google stadia and Xbox stream pass is struggling to get going, I think the ping speed / Broadband tech need to get a little better to get there, but it getting closer. so again that gap filled, it just about educating people out there what you can do with linux and like I said fill in the gap of making a media suit of programs.
Gaming issue is more or less solved with Steam/Proton, Wine, etc.

Everything else is... well OpenOffice is fine for anyone who just needs to write a document, and even for most things where people claim they require MS Office.  Video editing is a pretty specific thing, that for sure Linux is getting better at all the time, so eventually could be argued as a decent solution for people who can't (or don't want to) afford the Adobe subscriptions.

It's the forever moving goal post of 'Year of Desktop Linux'  It's served as mine and my family's desktop usage for decades at this point.  Your average person is fine with gaming, internet and email and don't need any video editing or even writing reports and such (which can do with any text editor under the sun, and if Linux has lots of anything, it's text editors!)

Fuchsia is also an open-source operating system that stands positioned to eat Linux's lunch.  It comes with a backward-compatibility layer for its Zircon kernel to run Linux binaries.  None of Fuchsia is GPL licensed.  I think Linux kernel usage will trail off soon.
Ha ha ha ha!  Fuchsia is Google's little pet project that only they are working on.  Linux has backing of a huge amount of companies.  I'm betting it at most gets used in a few embedded systems then gets forgotten about.  For those that are so anti-GPL, the BSDs should have taken off and made Linux kernel usage trail off, right??? 
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 10:09:34 PM »
I think this is an interesting link.
https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/linux-statistics/#gref

Open Source software does not seem to have the success we wish it could have.
Windders is still in the lead.
I only skimmed it, but I kind of read that the opposite way, that pretty much most of the internet and all smart computers run on Linux.  I'd say it's a win there.  Windows is still installed by default on like 95% of all computers sold in retail places.  So yeah, I mean until some marketing for selling in retail chains can be spent by IBM or Canonical or even getting System76 systems into say Best Buy / Walmart... then yeah the numbers there won't really change.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.