Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Installing New GVP 4060DT Accelerator  (Read 9149 times)

Description:

Offline new2amgaTopic starter

• Show only replies by new2amga
    • http://www.canadiancrusaders.com
Installing New GVP 4060DT Accelerator
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:03:53 AM »
Hello, as my screen name suggests, I don't know a lot about Amiga computers.  We never owned a an A3000 or A4000 when I was a kid, so I don't know how to configure the motherboard on my A4000D to take the new 4060DT card.  What jumpers need to be set to what on the card and the motherboard?  My motherboard revision is REV B.   I don't know if that changes anything, but People usually ask.  It has a super buster 11 chip in it as well. 3.1 Kickstart Roms, and 16MB of Fast memory.  Are there any specific jumpers I need to set on the Accelerator card as well?  I booted the machine with my 3640 card and installed the GVP 4060 libraries, but I don't know what to set the card to and the motherboard to so I haven't tried anything yet.  Thanks for the help.

Nathan

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Installing New GVP 4060DT Accelerator
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
The 4060 card should have come with installation instructions, but appears that it did not, or you would not be asking.  Try to google an answer online, or you might be able to find the correct settings for the card at the "Big Book of Amiga Hardware" website.  The settings on your A4000 motherboard should not change from using an A3640 to using the GVP 4060 as they are both external accelerators that use the accelerator slot and not a CPU on the motherboard.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:13:46 PM »
Okay I have tried installing the card now, and all I get is a black screen.  Does anyone out there know if there are some jumpers on the Motherboard that need to be set differently?

Nathan

-edit- After some tinkering I've gotten the card to boot into the Kickstart screen by setting the jumpers for the clocks to internal.  Is this the way it's supposed to be set up?  I did not receive a setting guide with my card.  I talked to Joe, and he seemed surprised by that as well.  If anyone else here has purchased one of these card and has that guide, would they be willing to scan if for me so I can see it?  Thanks -edit-
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:52:18 PM by new2amga »

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »
Try changing the jumpers to the opposite setting.  Some cards need it.  I know my Phase 5 Cybetstorm MK2 did.

Also look up Greg Donners GVP page, he has installation instructions on it.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Zero

• Show only replies by Zero
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
Here is the link for the 4060 on BBOAH website;
http://bit.ly/EKBJZ
The jumper settings are there as well.

Sorry if you have already been there, but just in case ;)
MorphOS G4 Quicksilver MDD

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
I have the jumper settings for the card, but not the jumper settings for the board.  It doesn't matter now though.  I got the card working and then suddenly the screen went black while running benchmarks.  Now even with pulling all the memory and the CPU Card, I cannot get anything on the screen.  My motherboard is toast apparently.  Not even the Green Flashing screen about chip memory.  Suck.

Nathan

Offline Damion

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
Quote from: new2amga;514000
I have the jumper settings for the card, but not the jumper settings for the board.  It doesn't matter now though.  I got the card working and then suddenly the screen went black while running benchmarks.  Now even with pulling all the memory and the CPU Card, I cannot get anything on the screen.  My motherboard is toast apparently.  Not even the Green Flashing screen about chip memory.  Suck.

Nathan

The motherboard capacitors are a known problem area, have they been replaced?

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »
No, the motherboard needs to be repaired.  But I talked to the company that Software hut uses for their repairs (here in KC, no less) and I took him the system and while we chatted he checked some things.  Turns out that, yes while the motherboard needs work, the powersupply has actually failed.  I never would have guessed.  Well, now I will have to wait, as I don't have the money to fix it right now.  I'll just have to replace it with a refurbished one from this gentleman.  He also has an A4000T I'm looking at..... If only I had a 1000 bucks.

Nathan

Offline wlemonds

• Show only replies by wlemonds
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
The two jumpers for Internal on the MB are correct. If you got the system booting after that, don't mess around with the card jumpers. The guy at GVP tests these cards and sets them to work reliably. Or, so I was told by Joe at Software Hut.
A500 PAL ACA500 Plus/Gotek
A1200 060/66 Tower/Mediator
A2000 Vampire/4XEIDE\'99/MNT 2000/Ariadne II+
A3000 040/40
A4000 Tekmagic 060/50
X5000/20

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the information about the motherboard jumpers,  That really helps.  When I get my board back from repairs I will definitely make certain that it is set up correctly.  Time to go buy one of those tower length IDE cables to route around the new card to increase airflow.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
@new2amga

Hi. Is that Ed Jeffries at the Video Lab in Mission, KS that is doing the work? I live a little west of K.C. (if you meant Kansas City) and I have lots of spare Amiga computers and parts. I have limited time but I'm pretty knowledgeable on the Amiga if you need help.

P.S. I would use the SCSI on the GVP card when you can afford it. The 4000 ide is slow and uses lots of the CPU.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:21:24 PM by matthey »

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 11:38:51 PM »
new2amiga: Well, if it is Ed Jeffries doing the repair, you should be up and running soon. He's very good. He fixed one of my 4000's, and I bought my WE-equipped 4000 from him.

Best of luck, and hope you get things sorted out soon....
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 04:44:30 AM »
Yes it is Ed Jeffries doing the repairs.  He thinks that power supply might not be strong enough and I know the caps and the joystick ports need to be replaced, so he's gonna run it through a full refurbish and let me know when he is done.  He said with any luck it would be running like new in no time.

Nathan

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:39:21 AM »
Got my A4000D back today.  I opened it up to install the accelerator card.  Man, it is pretty in there.  I don't think I've ever seen any of my Amiga computers looking so clean!  He does very good work.  I mentioned that I was having a problem with the joystick port and hadn't mentioned it before so he had only done basic testing on it, which it passed.  So it needs some more work, but it's worth it.  Very professional job, no sloppy solder or anything.  I definitely recommend him for Repairs if you are in the US.

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 08:20:41 PM »
Okay still having a strange problem that occurred just before taking the A4000 to Ed.  Right in the middle of working on the A4000 it just black screens on me.  Ed was of the impression that it was the small amount of corrosion he found around the crystals.  It worked fine last night, but this morning it's doing the whole black screen thing again.  I don't know what might cause this, anyone have any ideas?