Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse  (Read 7457 times)

Description:

Offline The_Power_of_the_Ginger

• Show only replies by The_Power_of_the_Ginger
    • http://madowl.coconia.net
Re: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 07, 2005, 09:59:05 PM »
I'm just glad Alan used the term 'Amiga Enthusiast' rather than 'Amigan'...

It's not a very good warm-up for the 20-year celebrations, is it? Still, I gave up wanting a new Amiga years ago, happy with my A1200/030 (with slightly dodgy clock).

Whatever happened to Jim Collas anyway, after he was unceremoniously chucked out of Gateway? Come to think of it, what happened to Gateway?
\\"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!\\"

Offline 560SL

• Show only replies by 560SL
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2005, 12:38:17 AM »
"It's been confirmed folks, the Amiga is just a hobby."

Well put Wayne.

Amigas are for fun, other computers are for... well, mostly boring stuff. Like work and {bleep}. Paying bills online...

A real Amiga boots clean off with a Spaceballs demo disk, or else it's not an Amiga.
AmigaOS: Forward Into The Past

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2005, 02:13:50 AM »
@560SL  

I hope you're wrong.
Amiga for me is the OS of choice, always was.
Probably why I own Wordsworth 7 Final Calc Pagestream, AMIRc etc.... etc

I hope the OS grows and we get good application development again. I also hope AMIGA and it's peers have ideas on getting out new hardware to run OS4 on.
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline Damion

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2005, 03:26:31 AM »
A real Amiga boots clean off with a Spaceballs demo disk, or else it's not an Amiga.

Cheers

:pint:

Offline Wiffy

• Show only replies by Wiffy
    • http://www.aros-exec.org
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2005, 07:49:37 AM »
'Those guys still to this day amaze me'

Well that thread was started by a private individual and responded to by individuals. It is your continued misunderstanding that opinions on a website are not engineered by some kind of shadow organisation ( practically every comment you have ever made regarding articles on aw.net implies you seem to think that ) that cracks me up.

Carry on with the dried frog pills. Why did you name your online character after Gary Glitter, the useless 70s glam rock paedophile?

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2005, 09:06:03 AM »
aw.net is clearly in the pockets of amiga inc/hyperion/eyetech - unless covering up for them all the time is normal. That is not paranoia.

As for the last part of your post. Pointless and pathetic, makes me wonder if your into that sort of stuff.

Offline Mr_Capehill

• Show only replies by Mr_Capehill
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2005, 10:43:13 AM »
@Paul_Gadd:

Get a life. Seriously, get a life. Get healthy hobbies. (Hobby != collecting links from AW.net and making online insults day after day.)

You know, I have a hobby. I bought an A1 knowing that it's not a masterpiece of engineering. I'm almost perfectly happy with it (It should only have a better video card and that would make my day). It's the best Amiga I have ever had.

You shouldn't be so concerned about things that don't belong to you. Mind your own hobbies. Thanks for listening.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »
Alan certainly didn't sound very happy, did he?  :-)

I find it confusing that they are trying to get their hardware used in commercial markets outside the "Amiga Enthusiast" community.  How is that at all possible with the schedule they build their machines and how much they cost?

Excuse me, I think I'll go play some old games on WinUAE, now...

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2005, 06:34:30 PM »
Paul,

We all know what's going on.  We all know the truth of the situation.  There is simply no point whatsoever to standing on top of the corpse and beating your chest as though you've won some amazing prize for pointing out the obvious.

In short, let's just get back to enjoying our hobby and forget about all the strife caught by all this sillyness and feudalism.  We're all "Amiga Enthusiasts" (A term I greatly prefer to "Amigan").  End of story, so go.  Enthuse..

Wayne

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2005, 08:04:24 PM »
I guess this is just yet another opportunity to say [color=FF0000]WE TOLD YOU SO![/color]

But Eyetech seem to take pride in their efforts to kill AmigaOS. Screw you and your "investments", Eyetech. You're irrelevant, you're no longer needed, the world is filled with "new Amigas" (hardware platforms that AmigaOS could be sold for) without your labels and your monopoly.

The Amiga is dead. It's been a decade, is it REALLY that damn hard to understand? AInc and Hyperion, adapt already! Quit pretending, stop making decisions that obviously "defy commercial logic"! (Jeezus! I remember when I said that...) Leave Eyetech and the whole "new Amiga" and "Amiga hardware market" idiocy behind. Stop making a software product into nothing more than a means of charity for an irrelevant hardware dealer, which less than a thousand people will donate to anyway. Sell AmigaOS for hardware that people actually want to buy or already own in numbers that could possibly begin to make it worthwile.

"It is such a tiny market and the costs of entry are so high that no commercial concern in its right mind would get involved."

No SH!T?? You don't say? I think I've heard that before, but then it wasn't from Eyetech, but from us who oppose the compulsory hardware licensing/bundling/dongling...

In other words, it's NOT a good idea to lock all sales of AmigaOS to this unnecessary and artificially separated "Amiga market".

"Without a 'monopoly' this tiny market would be even more fragmented, making for even smaller production volumes and much higher prices. "

Is this from the department of redundancy department? The department of samfacial logic? What we don't need and don't want is your monopoly, i.e. this tiny market.

"This exclusivity is in itself no big deal. Competition only has any significant effect on prices when the market is large and unrestricted and volumes reaches mass-production (500,000+ per year) proportions."

This is hilarious. Or sad. Or just weird. The exclusivity [Eyetech being the only ones allowed to sell hardware to you if you want AmigaOS] is not a big deal, because without it AmigaOS could have benefited from hardware competition, and when shopping for hardware potential AmigaOS customers could've been part of a larger unrestricted market...? So that's why we need a small, restricted pseudo market, instead of for example buying AmigaOS for a Mac that's sold in the millions by multiple competing vendors all over the world? Duh.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »
@seehund.

It'd be nice if you read what I posted prior to your post.  There is no point in "I told you so" at this junction.

Wayne

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2005, 10:40:11 PM »
Wayne,

Sorry.
I've never done an "I told you so" before, and I figured I'd at least have to try it once before this is all over and forgotten. :) Won't happen again.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2005, 03:50:55 PM »
Thanks Alan for your comments.  It certainly has been a rocky road for everyone involved.

Now back to my hobby ...

---
redfox
µA1-C "Amiga Enthusiast"

Offline Wiffy

• Show only replies by Wiffy
    • http://www.aros-exec.org
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2005, 04:22:28 PM »

aw.net is clearly in the pockets of amiga inc/hyperion/eyetech - unless covering up for them all the time is normal. That is not paranoia.

Let me know where I should be picking up my paycheck then. You aint paranoid, its just everyone hates ya ;-)

As for the last part of your post. Pointless and pathetic, makes me wonder if your into that sort of stuff.

Yeah cos that reaction was really LOGICAL right ;-) :roflmao:

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2005, 08:21:46 PM »
@Wayne

Yeah your right. I will just sit back and watch the fun.

-
Amithlon Enthusiast

Offline number6

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2005, 08:28:54 PM »
@Wiffy

Dave,

With the upcoming user group meeting mentioned by Tony on AmigaOrg News, there will
be an opportunity for people to see with their -own- eyes. Let us hope then, that a
few people are willing to make up their mind based on their -own- personal conclusions,
and -not- based on the rumor and conclusion mill.

Best Wishes,