Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windoze boxes  (Read 2538 times)

Description:

Offline motruckerTopic starter

Re: Windoze boxes
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 03, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
I most likely shouldn't have started this with the Windoze header. These days I have found Window XP, and 7 to be very stable, fast machines - if you watch what chipset is on the motherboard. - It was just an off the wall comment.
Apparently I have been VERY lucky with this BioStar motherboard (even if it does have the nVidia chipset). Looks like I will go back to Asus. I am a bit surprised at the number of ASUS boards with the VIA chip set however.
I really appreciate every ones input on this.

A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
Asus mainboards highly recommended here (experiences from 40-50 systems built privately and well above 100 at work).

After the disaster with the KT133(A) chipset I stayed ultimately clear of anything VIA.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
Well, I built the "new" machine. I went with an Asus motherboard, with intel chip set and Intel Core 2 CPU running @ 3.10 Gh - 4Gb of RAM (Crucial matched sticks) I put just under $450.00 in it (used a few things off the "old" computer like the Antec 700watt PSU. I am amazed how powerful this thing is. Now the new games run. (run really fast, actually)
Only possible mistake was going with Vista Home Premium. So far I do NOT like Vista - may drop back to XP Pro.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention the video - this time I went with nVidia 8800 GT (just one so far) with 512Mb.
and sound - an oldish Soundblaster that was already on hand into a 5.1 speaker setup.
It has two 250Gb SATA drives and DVD writer. For what I spent, I'm happy (surprised, actually)
Now - back to work on my A 1000...
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
MSI motherboards with AMD CPUs. I've had zero problems with MSI and I don't like Intel. (But that's just me, must be my old Motorola love kicking in.)

I've had ok luck with Asus but I don't like their BIOSes. So far the 3 mobos I've used by them do strange things on boot like display weird character, fail to boot if settings are slightly off, etc. They do offer a lot more overclocking options but I'm not into that.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 07:52:48 PM »
I pretty much sick with ASUS and AMD these days. I have been building systems regularly since '95, and the price point is right. MSI was a good "middle" of the road Mobo, but since ASUS decided to compete with the Middle tear, The "X" boards out priced MSI. I have never had anything good to say about ECS or Foxcomm or PC Partner Boards (even though I built a boatload of them for the "Cheapo" systems one store use to flog).NEVER get a board with "onboard" graphics- way too many returns with those.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline pyrre

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »
My peecee:
MB:    Asus P5Qpro
CPU:   Intel core2 duo E2200 @2.20GHz
RAM:   OCZ 4GB
GFX:   Asus 8800 GTS
HDD:   Total approx. 2.5 TB

It is treating me very well, never seen a glitch of any kind.
recommended setup for anyone..

(OS is XP pro though. no Vista here)
Amiga 1200 Tower Os 3.9
BPPC 603e+ 040-25/200, 256MBram, BVIsionPPC, Indivision AGA MK2.
Amiga 2000 (rev 4.0) Os 1.2/1.3
2088 bridgeboard, 2MB ram card, 2091 SCSI.
Amiga 500+ Os 2.1
Derringer 030, 32MBram, Buddha in sidecar, Indivision ECS.
Amiga CD32
Video decoder

Offline Bobo68

• Show only replies by Bobo68
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
MSI K9A2GM + Athlon X2 4850e
A4000T/060, CV64-3D, 146 GB SCSI

guest3110

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
My computer:

Full-size server tower (29" tall, including wheels). Black.  :-)

My Motherboard: ABIT AN52

Specifications

CPU

* Supports Socket AM2 Processor with 2GHz system bus using Hyper Transport™ Technology
    * Supports AMD CPU Cool 'n' Quiet Technology

Chipset

* NVIDIA nForce 520 single chip

Memory

* 4 X 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. memory capacity 8GB
    * Supports Dual Channel DDR2 800 Un-buffered ECC/ Non-ECC memory

Graphics

* Use PCI-E Expansion slot

LAN

* nVidia Gigabit LAN

Audio

* On board 7.1 CH HD Audio CODEC
    * Auto Jack Sensing, Jack Re-tasking functions

Expansion Slots

* 1 x PCI-E X16, 2 x PCI-E X1, 3 x PCI

Internal I/O

* 1 x Floppy Port supports up to 2.88MB
    * 1 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66/33 IDE Connector
    * 3 x USB2.0 header (support 6 ports)
    * 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connector

Back Panel I/O

* 1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 Mouse
    * 7.1 CH HD Audio connector (Front, Line-in, MIC-in, Center/Subwoofer, Surround, Rear Surround)
    * 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45 LAN Connector

Serial ATA

* 4 x SATA (RAID) 3Gb/s
    * Supports SATA RAID 0/1/0+1

Form Factor

* ATX form factor 305 x 245mm
    * PCB Color: Blue

abit Engineered

* abit SoftMenu™ Technology

My CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ "Black Edition", overclocked to 3.01Ghz http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-overclocker,1708.html

My RAM: OCZ Technology 8GB (4 x 2GB) "Gold" 240pin DDR2 Dual Channel Memory|RAM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227199

My Sound Card: Creative Labs X-FI Platinum

My Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

My OS: Microsoft Windows Vista (64-Bit)

Other components: several hard drives (mix of SATA and IDE), a couple CD|DVD drives, LS-120 SuperFloppy, ZIP drive, media card reader, webcam, couple of printers, scanner, MIDI keyboard; the usual.

All in all, I'd say it's probably the best setup I've ever had (to date, by comparison). Of course, back during Amiga machine days, each of those (for that time) was the best.

I don't use much "Microsoft" software. For instance, I choose OpenOffice.org for all of my office-related projects. I use CorelDRAW X-series (mostly Photo-Paint) for graphics. Firefox, instead of IE for browser.

I have 8GB of RAM and about 37.8GB of virtual RAM. Depending on what new things I have added, or how long I've let things sit (usually not very long) without defrag, etc., I usually have the OS booting to password screen in 30-45 seconds, and another 3-to-5 seconds from password screen to desktop-ready state.

The "drivers" issue with Vista was an annoyance early-on. It would not see or use my Visioneer OneTouch 8920 scanner. I had to get a new scanner (Canon CanonScan 4400F) which it saw right away--and, getting a new one turned out for the best, as it was better quality). After awhile (and after some new components) the driver issue ceased to be a problem.

Security and Stability is probably the one thing I have noticed as a difference between earlier versions and Windows and Vista. Vista's User-Access pop-ups were a pain in the beginning, til I understood them and what was going on, and until further updates toned them down a little. Now I like the fact they're there, on occasion.

The system runs smoothly, and I haven't had any major problems. A few longterm goals were finally achieved. I have enough storage capacity (in and out of the computer), enough RAM to effortless scroll through volumes of text (I write novels, so I like single-file novels, not broken up into chapter sections like I had to do when I had an Amiga 1000 or Amiga 2000), and I certainly have the speed (of CPU and motherboard) to keep up with me (I am a fast typer).

And, to put all this into context: I'm still hold the philosophy that my experience with Amiga instilled in me. There's still an anti-Microsoft (but 'no choice at the moment') mentality here. Any new Amiga OS or system is going to have to equal-or-best what I have, or what others have access to in the computer industry, in order to even have a chance. Anything falling short is...well, not going anywhere. Of course, it was always Amiga's philosophy to be the best out there. Until then, this is what I've got, and like|love.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
@EyeAm
   You make an interesting point. I used Amiga computer since about 1987 - and I ended up with very real anti Intel \ Microsoft Bias. I think many of us Amiga users have this.
With the Windows machines I have put together in the last several years, there is no reason for it - Since XP SP2, they have been very powerful, stable machines.
I still use an Amiga. The OS is nice, and some of the software has not been equaled. But when I need to, the intel and Amiga machines work well together.