Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mandriva 2009.1 spring is out !  (Read 846 times)

Description:

Offline xaccrocheurTopic starter

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
Mandriva 2009.1 spring is out !
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »
I just wanted to let you know that MDV 2009.1, the "middle-of-the-year" release is out, and that it's a really good one. It includes KDE2.4, a major revamping of the whole GUI, and many more goodies - You'll find many informations on the wiki here.

I installed it yesterday on an old laptop of mine, IBM Thnikpad x40, it took an hour and now I have a snappy system, wifi worked right out of the box. Now today I'll upgrade my main box from 2009 to 2009.1, hopefully nothing bad will happen (got my /home on a separate partition just in case ;) )

The CD is "live-bootable" so you can try it and check your HW compat. w/o even installing anything... How cool is that ?

Reason why I "advertise" this release here is that in my worthless opinion it's a VERY good version (I've been using MDV since the 1st mdk 5 version) to (re)discover Linux on the desktop. I don't want to create a "Linux is great / Linux sucks" thread, just to inform those of you that missed the info.

Give it a spin !
Download Mandriva 2009

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
Re: Mandriva 2009.1 spring is out !
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:39:38 AM »
... and in other news, other Linux distributions were also released! And so was Windoze 7 RC!!

Various other Linux distros' CDs have been "live-bootable" for ages - but I agree it's a useful feature.