Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OT: ATI or NVidia  (Read 5316 times)

Description:

Re: OT: ATI or NVidia
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 04:08:15 PM »
Seems like the X800 and 6800 GT are pretty much identically priced. ($399 -- which is pretty much how much my current COMPUTER cost me).  Too rich for my blood, but if I had the money, it'd be a video card that would last me several years until something of an equal speed jump (between the 5200 and x800/6800 GT) would be available.

Wayne

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 04:11:45 PM »
Wayne wrote:
So we're doomed either way :-) Pirates uses DX9, Doom3 uses primarily OpenGL.

That is a very brief summary of the current graphics market, but a completely true one, too. I had the good fortune to have a few decisive requirements: good OpenGL support under Linux, and no performance issues over 1024 x 768 as my TFT monitor maxes out there. Try very hard to find similar ones in your setup, and the card will usually follow. Although my guess is that your bank statement will do the chosing in the end :-).

Let us know what you bought, and why.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 04:14:26 PM »
How about this deal.  If you can find it instore still...

BFG GeForce 6800 OC 128M + Half Life 2 + Far Cry = $249.98 after mail in rebates

Aforementioned Bestbuy Rebate deal

{edited by admin : corrected URL, but they're sold out now :-(}
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 04:16:06 PM »
Let me restate that I'm not really looking for a video card.  I don't have the money to buy one quite frankly, nor do I really *need* one.  The Pirates game (and the slowness of the duels -- which makes them annoying but very easy to win) is what got me on the subject.

Of course, if I can find a cheap one on e-bay, or perhaps Redrumloa's got one cheap, that's perhaps a different story.

Wayne

Offline vpamicue

• Show only replies by vpamicue
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 04:27:33 PM »
For Windows the difference is minor, some swear by ATI others NVidia. In the world outside of Windows there is no comparison NVidia has better drivers and they upgrade them cosistantly. ATI does not make good drivers for Linux (the only other OS they support is Mac and even here the driver does not seem as good as for Windows). I install both Linux x86 systems and Windows systems for end users and I find that I have the least compatablity problems with NVidia. So if you do not need the graphics card for a specific program go with the NVidia for Dual Boot systems and with the ATI for Windows or Mac only installs.
VP AMICUE
Amiga Computer Users of Edmonton
\\"Your Amiga Source in Northern Alberta\\"

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 06:26:17 PM »
Well, here at work, one of the top graphics programmers tells me that the best card (from a programmer's point of view) is the top of the line nVidia GeForce 6800 cards. The reason is they support Shader Model 3.0 (and from what I understand, no ATI card currently does). From a gamer's point of view, few (if any, in fact, I don't think there are any) games use Shader 3.0, but if you've got your eye set on the next generation of games which will use shader 3.0, then this might be important to you.

But aside from that, both companies are very good. Only a few weeks ago I bought myself an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB card, which I felt was better then all nVidia cards below the GeForce series 6 cards. Before this, I had an nVidia GeForce 2 TI which was also very good for it's time (but it couldn't play Battlefield Vietnam, so I had to upgrade ;-) ). I personally wouldn't waste my time with any nVidia series 5 cards, except for perhaps the FX5900 & FX5950, but I find those lag behind in hi-res scenarios while the 9800's pull ahead.

At any rate, check out Tom's Hardware: VGA Charts IV

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 06:31:35 PM »
Another thing to consider is that the high-end Geforce cards usually have such large fans that they occupy a PCI slot aswell, only to allow the heatsink/fan to fit, whereas the ATI don´t need as much cooling ( I figure )...
That's what I hear, or at least, that's what one of the 3D programmers here tells me. ATI seems to have always been better in the cooling department, and as a side-effect, don't require as big a fan. The nVidia FX series were the first mainstream GFX card to take up a PCI slot just for cooling - and they were loud. I know nVidia has come a long way since the initial release of the FX line, but ATI is still ahead of the game here. Just as an example, My GeForce 2 card (which is several generations old now) has a fan that was only marginally smaller then my Radeon 9800 Pro's fan (only one generation old).

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 06:34:25 PM »
Also Nvidia killed 3dfx (which was a cool company imho) and they refuse to freely release information about their cards to developers. So I would go for an Ati card, but thats of course only my personal opinion.
3dfx was swallowed by nVidia. The old 3dFX team was assigned to make the GeForce 5 series of cards, formally known as the FX line. See the link? So 3dFX is still around in spirit. unfortunately, the FX line was considered a failure by many enthusiasts, and nVidia is trying to get away from the line as fast as possible. That may be the last "FX" series we'll see.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 06:42:17 PM »
ATI seems to have always been better in the cooling department, and as a side-effect, don't require as big a fan.

Perhaps true, but the latest/fastest ATI card x850 does.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 08:03:53 PM »
Obviously one would get a Nvidia just so that they can use it with AROS :-D

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 08:06:28 PM »
ATI reeeeally, but nVidia for the reasons Bloodline stated.
AROS rules  :-D
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 10:35:33 PM »

seer wrote:
ATI seems to have always been better in the cooling department, and as a side-effect, don't require as big a fan.

Perhaps true, but the latest/fastest ATI card x850 does.

They have Low-K Black Diamond(minimise leaks) added to their chips.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 10:42:21 PM »

Glaucus wrote:
Also Nvidia killed 3dfx (which was a cool company imho) and they refuse to freely release information about their cards to developers. So I would go for an Ati card, but thats of course only my personal opinion.
3dfx was swallowed by nVidia. The old 3dFX team was assigned to make the GeForce 5 series of cards, formally known as the FX line. See the link? So 3dFX is still around in spirit. unfortunately, the FX line was considered a failure by many enthusiasts, and nVidia is trying to get away from the line as fast as possible. That may be the last "FX" series we'll see.

- Mike

GeforceFX has some bugs in handling odd number textures and its missing a 8x1 mode. In Doom3, FX59x0 operates as 8x0, while HL2 operates basically at 4x1 (4x2 is practically useless). FX doesn’t have FP24 only FP16 or FP32.

PS; FP16 spec is still part of DX9.

Issues was fixed with NV4x range...

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 10:43:26 PM »
Wayne

I'd go with maybe an ATI Radeon 9200 or 9600 agp on ebay. About $50 for the former and $80 for the later..

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Hammer

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 10:53:54 PM »
Yeah, I've heard that too. Reminds me of AMD vs. Intel somehow.

It should be i.e. refer to http://news.cens.com/php/getnews.php?file=/news/2004/11/30/20041130013.htm&d

Graphics-chip supplier Nvida Corp. and microprocessor giant Intel Corp. recently entered into alliance while ATI Technologies Inc. and Advanced Micro Devices struck a similar deal.

To bring balance to Intel+NVIDIA alliance, ATI and AMD responded with their own alliance.

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #29 from previous page: December 02, 2004, 03:30:29 AM »

Hammer wrote:
Yeah, I've heard that too. Reminds me of AMD vs. Intel somehow.

It should be i.e. refer to http://news.cens.com/php/getnews.php?file=/news/2004/11/30/20041130013.htm&d

Graphics-chip supplier Nvida Corp. and microprocessor giant Intel Corp. recently entered into alliance while ATI Technologies Inc. and Advanced Micro Devices struck a similar deal.

To bring balance to Intel+NVIDIA alliance, ATI and AMD responded with their own alliance.
You gotta admit it seems rather backwards. AMD has always been considered the gamer's choice (especially today with their amazing 64bit chips), and nVidia's nForce have also been the number one chipset amungst gamers (which as far as I know, is not offered on Petium motherboards). Why would nVidia want to partner up with a CPU and associated chipsets which are not considered number 1 in the gaming market?

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE