Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Prototype a Game in Under 7 Days: Tips and Tricks from 4 Grad Students Wh  (Read 3240 times)

Description:

Offline Hattig

• Show all replies
Re: How to Prototype a Game in Under 7 Days: Tips and Tricks
« on: November 03, 2005, 06:09:40 PM »
And out of those 50 games, they got how many games that were worth playing for more than 10 minutes?

Writing a simple game (like all of these were) in a week is a simple task for any programmer if they don't have to write their own low-level game library. In this case Flash was used, which makes the graphics aspect and audio aspect rather simple. Kind of like using Shoot Em Up Construction Kit to write a vertically scrolling shooter on the C64 15 years ago, it isn't big nor is it worthy of an article like this. More interesting is the marketing side of things!

When I was at school, I'd write games over a week that we'd play the next week at school on the Amiga 500s. Of course, I had school and homework competiting with my evenings. I still wrote games that were played by the group of us many many times - sure, they were simple, but replayable. I'd write the games in Blitz Basic 2 (fair comparison to writing a game in Flash today I think), and draw my own graphics in DPaint 4.5 (both legal copies too!). So colour me unimpressed that 12 years later a bunch of >20 year olds have managed to do the same when dedicating themselves to the task, with computers that are 100x more powerful and a development environment a bazillion times more efficient than 'TED'.

The only interesting aspect was they tried to develop games using a theme, such as gravity. The blob game looked interesting.

When you get down to real game development for money however, you need a lot more. Maybe they could get $5 if they wrote a package of the better games (the cute pig game and the blob game, etc) for touch-screen Symbian phones.

However I think that these games are 1-day efforts for most people, given a suitably rich development platform like Flash.