Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Most Memorable Moment in Computing  (Read 3161 times)

Description:

Offline ciento

• Show only replies by ciento
Re: Your Most Memorable Moment in Computing
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 26, 2013, 07:12:07 AM »
1. Playing Springster on Christmas eve for hours on Coco3, after returning a Nintendo
2. Logging on to Delphi on Coco3 modem pack
3. Opalvision photo edit on A3000
4. File transfer from CD32 to A500 using Twin
5. Slamtilt on CD32

Offline zipper

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
Launching Descent Virge version on my A500T, 3D acceleration on an Amiga 500!

Offline bceverly

• Show only replies by bceverly
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
*Being introduced to computers by a friend of mine through playing wumpus and startrek on a CDC/11784 mainframe

* Saving up for my Apple ][+ (don't hate at me guys)

* Enjoying that wumpus game so much that I played it exhaustively on a TTY and brought the print out home to write the code from scratch in Apple BASIC so I could play it at home

* Taking a Fortran IV programming class using punch cards at the local university... while I was in the 8th grade (had a great science teacher who encouraged me to try)

* Seeing the Amiga 1000 for the first time in this guy's basement (before he even opened his computer store) and joking that they misspelled Commodore (they left out an "m") in the copyright string.  But being blown away by what it could do

* Buying my first A1000

* Writing my first C program on that A1000 swapping floppies back and forth to get it to compile

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »
Quote from: bceverly;748883
...playing wumpus and startrek on a CDC/11784 mainframe

...Enjoying that wumpus game so much that I played it exhaustively on a TTY and brought the print out home to write the code from scratch in Apple BASIC so I could play it at home

I can identify with that.
I used to convert BASIC programs published in Creative Computing to run under Wang 2200 BASIC.
Star Trek and Lunar Lander were two of my favorites.

I even remember learning to command syntax of the Radio Shack Model 1's BASIC so I could enter small programs on store demo machines before I bought my first computer..
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
1) Going to a Basic language course at age 11, on a Dragon32 computer. My interest was immediately shifted from consoles to computers, havent looked back since.

2) Getting my very first computer, a C=128D, in 1986.
This event changed my life, I can say with 100% certainty that without it, I would be a different person today, with different friends & different line of work.

3) Forming a group, writing my first intro in Assembly & cracking my first game, on the C64 (1987).

4) Realizing I can make a living doing what I love, programming :)

Offline CodePoet

• Show only replies by CodePoet
    • http://www.UltraKeet.com.au
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:03 AM »
The day I accidentally discovered my A2000 contained a bootable harddisk...

My father found and purchased an A2000 for me from an auction late 1997. I've only ever used an A1000 and A500, both had 1MB of ram and Kick 1.2. It looked like it was identical, only the "insert workbench" screen was colourful as it ran KS2.04

One day (new years eve), I accidentally reboot my A2000 twice with CTRL+A+A, and just as I was going to insert my workbench disk, it starts booting up on it's own! I found out much later that it contained a FLASH2000 hard-card with WB2 preinstalled, 80MB quantum fireball harddisk, and 8MB of RAM - the HDD didn't spin up in time for the first reboot, and required a second.

I was completely entranced by my new 16 colour workbench, and spent most of the day playing with WB background patterns, completely ignoring everything else. I really didn't want to go out for new years eve that night, I just wanted to stay home and play with my new toy!

The sad thing is, these days, I could never get that excited about anything.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:47:45 AM by CodePoet »

Offline DLH

• Show only replies by DLH
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 04:03:15 AM »
Typing in a BASIC program for my new VIC-20 on day one or two.

Cursor flashing with a ? and I inputed a letter where it wanted a number.

?Redo from Start error came up and I turned it off and re-typed the program.

DLH

Offline wiser3

• Show only replies by wiser3
    • http://www.trep4.com/
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 04:42:20 AM »
Wow, great topic.

typing basic programs into a Vic 20

playing radar mouse on my Vic 20, probably not the right game name but i can still see the sreen and hear the music in my head (i remember this better then losing my virginity)

the amazement and pride i felt when i finished programming a tank battle game for the C64 entirely by myself - only to have no one believe that i could have ever created something that complex and awesome

my grade 8 talent show. i planned to demonstrate some basic programming loops and logic by programming it in front of everyone. Then show off a database program i made and make changes to it in front off everyone. However, i was never allowed to do it because my teacher had an attitude that computers where only play and not a talent. I'm now a professional computer programmer. From that class i bet none of the kids that sang, danced, told jokes, threw a football, etc... ever made any money from their "talent"

the first time i watch my A500 run more then one program at the same time

the first time i connected to a BBS via modem

the first time i saw a web browser show an image instead of the alt text

the last time a shut off my A1200 :(