Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New product by individual Computers: Keyrah  (Read 4111 times)

Description:

Offline SchoenfeldTopic starter

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
New product by individual Computers: Keyrah
« on: December 17, 2005, 02:17:36 AM »
Keyrah makes keyboards of classic computers available to new computers. The board fits the case of a C64, VIC-20, C128, C-16 or Amiga 1200, and turns the computer into a USB keyboard. Keyrah gives new life to defective computers, or computers that have been moved to a different case, because the mainboard is no longer needed. In addition to that, two digital joysticks can be connected that will act as additional keys (for example cursor keys). The joystick ports show a special strength of Keyrah: The high data transfer speed.

We followed the discussion about a newly produced USB-version of a classic joystick with great interest. Many customers have judged this joystick as unusable, because the reaction to any movement is too inert, thus making games unplayable. For the full gaming fun, Keyrah transfers it's data ten times faster than the USB version of that joystick!

As a special titbit for fans of the C64, we're using a switch that's almost identical to the one of the original computer. The only difference (not noticable to the user) is that it's lead-free, and therefore RoHS-conform. It switches between two keymaps that are either adjusted to the daily use under Windows, or especially for emulators like Vice and Amiga Forever.

Keyrah has been successfully tested with all common operating systems like Linux, Amiga OS, Mac OS and Windows. It works on desktop and laptop computers, but also on the X-Box. Keyrah is a standard USB human interface device, so proper function is also ensured with systems that are not mentioned here.

Keyrah will be available in february 2006, the price will be about 30,- EUR. The exact scope of delivery is not yet decided, we're investigating the possibilty to include a USB cable and tools for this price, so we can deliver a package that our customers are used to: Ready to go without additional equuipment.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
Re: New product by individual Computers: Keyrah
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:40:14 AM »
cool but i dont realy see the point. O sorry if you are all in to retro gaming i might get it

adonay :-D
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 06:48:04 AM »
hugh!?!? What is this?

---EDIT----

Nevermind, I was almost excited....

...it's rubbish, at least for a minimalist like myself.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:50:27 AM »
I like it. Jens makes cool toys.

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 10:33:54 AM »
this is cool now you can fit a mini pc inside a dead c64 breadbin and hook up the keys to it...  :-D
________
WHERE TO BUY VAPORIZER BLENDS
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:28:00 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 12:18:59 PM »
Yes, very cool...but I think I'd much rather have preferred seeing first the proposed 68030+ram accelerator for the A600 :(

@adonay

Maybe this will produce a run on c128 and c64 cases on ebay?  Put this in a case with a mini-itx pc and run Amiga Forever and you've got a powerful little Amiga.  Somehow the thought of ripping out a 128 or 64 m/b seems sacrilege.
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 01:12:59 PM »
Jen's

Let me see if I get this right.

I have a 42 Plasma TV and a small PC attached for playing games, including Amiga Forever.  This board will go inside the empty A1200 case I have left over from towering my A1200 and allow me to basically use this as a USB keyboard to run WinUAE on the PC using the original A1200 keyboard?  Also, the ports on the side will allow real digital joysticks to be attached?

So I can put this keyboard that looks like an A1200 on my coffee table, attach an old Amiga joystick to the ports, connect it to the PC under the TV with a long USB cable and play Menace or Alien Breed with the feel of "the real thing"?

Put me down for one!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 01:17:35 PM »
In fact, I have an old VIC-20 and C64.  One of them would make a good keyboard for a PC C64 emulator.  Better put me down for 2.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 01:48:37 PM »
Thank you very much, Jens!  for your constant support :-)

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 02:53:16 PM »
Jens!  You are the Man!

This is ultra cool!  Now WinUAE will feell more Amiaish indeed.......cuz you will be controlling it from the Amiga! cool!

Also as one suggessted, we can put a mini PC inside an Amiga case and it will be as a real AMiga being controlled by the A1200 keyboard..or better yet the A600!  Man!  I can imagine running a PC inside my 600 with a copy of Amiga Forever! it doesnt get any better!
its like a new motherboard if you anyone has an imagination.

I hope I am right about my assumption.but when I read this:

" In addition to that, two digital joysticks can be connected that will act as additional keys (for example cursor keys). The joystick ports show a special strength of Keyrah: The high data transfer speed."

Wouldnt it be better than instead of the Joystick or in addition to the joystick acting as extra keys, that it actually acts as Real Joysticks ort 1 and 2 for WinUAE?  if the board doesnt do this....please make it do this. And it will be complete.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 09:04:23 PM »
" In addition to that, two digital joysticks can be connected that will act as additional keys (for example cursor keys). The joystick ports show a special strength of Keyrah: The high data transfer speed."

Wouldnt it be better than instead of the Joystick or in addition to the joystick acting as extra keys, that it actually acts as Real Joysticks ort 1 and 2 for WinUAE? if the board doesnt do this....please make it do this. And it will be complete.

I've just been looking at WinUAE and VICE because I've never bothered emulating a digital joystick on WinUAE before, and from what I gather, this board will be perfect.

That switch on the side appaently switches between two keymaps.  So , you have one mapped for PC use and another for when you run UAE.  If I understand it correctly, you should be able to plug a digital joystick into, for example, port 2 on this card and then set the keymap so that joystick2 left = keypad 4, joystick2 right = keypad 6, joystick2 up = 8, etc.  Then you can go into the UAE "input" configuration and set the keyboard settings so that keypad 4 = joystick2 left, keypad 6 = joystick 2 right, etc.  Once you've saved these setting, a joystick plugged into that port should behave under UAE like a digital joystick plugged into port 2 on a real Amiga.  

There's a similar setup for the C64/128/+4/VIC20 emulations under VICE.

At least, that's how I understand it.  I look forward to testing it.   :-)

Offline amigaoneproductions

• Show only replies by amigaoneproductions
    • http://www.amigaoneproductions.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 09:18:02 PM »
What's all this talk about putting small PC motherboards in C64 cases and running UAE,  my 1st thoughts were would a microA1 board fit inside the case,  I could run OS4 on my C64  :idea:
Stay safe on the Internet
http://www.fraudwatchers.org

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 09:35:43 PM »
Oh man, this is a neat product!!

Let's see.. PC with Catweasel MK4(with SID chip installed), this Keyrah in a breadbox C64 keyboard and running Frodo. Hmm.. Real sid sound, real breadbox keyboard and real old school joysticks. Pretty damn neat. This open some possibility to me. Hmm.. I can imagine using this with some micro-ATX board installed in some old C= case..
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 12:12:36 AM »
ok i think i will try this project i will get a mini itx with 1.4ghz cpu some ram UAE and a a1200 case .also internal psu could be a cool project.

@redrumloa
no offence but i thought you left this forum for sure good to see your still breathing:evilgrin:

adonay :-D
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline HyAmi

• Show only replies by HyAmi
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2005, 12:15:26 PM »
hmmm, will an A1200 keyboard fit in an A500 case? I just have A500's here... would definitly be neat too! Anyway, will there be enough spare A1200 keyboards available for all the people who got inspiration? :-?