Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vista Defender vs Avast Home Edition???  (Read 2354 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Vista Defender vs Avast Home Edition???
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:30:32 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding using Windows Vista Defender vs Avast Home Edition (Free version) to protect a Windows Vista 32bit system?

I have depended on Avast's free version for years on most all of my Windows systems and those that I have built for friends and family members.  When I got my replacement Dell system they gave me Vista Ultimate 32bit and I started using Defender as my only virus protection, but now I am wondering if I should maybe go back to using Avast.  

Edit: Should I use both???
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline tribz

• Show only replies by tribz
Re: Vista Defender vs Avast Home Edition???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »
I dont think Defender is an AV product, just spyware/malware.

ChuckT

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:52:57 PM »
We got a special from Amazon.  We got Norton for three computers for a low price.

I downloaded Commodo for free but there are like three hundred processes which generate alerts that some program is trying to access the internet.  It drives me crazy because it said that my thumbdrive with U3 was trying to access the internet.

I turned down Avast because it was only anti-virus (you have to buy anti-spyware seperately) and we are on the internet so we need anti-spyware and anti-malware.

Remember that you need something that is pro-active and not reactive which means that spyware and malware strike first from the internet.  You want to prevent it rather than just correct an infection.

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »
as tribz said defender is an antispyware. of course you need an antivirus too.
try the free avg it has a build in antispyware too.
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:43:54 AM »
Just my personal opinion, but Norton and McAfee (the two big anti-virus programs I've dealt with) miss a lot of viral infections, malware and adware. Why don't you try Kaspersky's anti-virus software? It's got a good rating, a 30 day trial period, and it's been the most effective program I've used  (under Windows).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I will use Avast and Defender together.  I will never ever use Norton or McAfee again and feel for those that do use it, but to each their own.

My ideal solution would be to ONLY run MacOSX, MorphOS2.x, a good flavor of Linux and AmigaOS3.9 (perhaps AmigaOS4.x and IcAROS someday) and run Windows only in a virtual machine on the rare occasions that I need it, without any internet or email access while running Windows.  Just have to sell this Dell tower so I can raise the money for a decently spec'd Mac desktop to sync with my MacBook laptop (and now iPhone).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline motrucker

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »
I still use AVG. It catches everything that tries to get in. I prefer the Pro version but I have the free version on my Vista machine & have had no trouble at all!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:57:06 AM »
Try Avast free edition, better than AVG imo, based on the fact that AVG let a virus through on three of the four windows machines i have in my house, i would never use norton and McAfee has failed for me also.
Ni72ous

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
AVG is fine to be honest.  Its a bit more resource hungry these days but nothing compared to norton etc.

I was going to use avast due to the smaller footprint but the free version does not scan emails, making it pretty pointless.

I have been using AVG free for years and years never had a virus issue.

For spyware/malware you cany best spybot S&D , great program and also blocks known infections in the first place
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"